Gibson Brands Forums

Multi-Tools.

Murph

I've carried a multi-tool for decades. Construction, demolition, lumberjacking, hunting, cabin building and being a gigging musician has proven these things to be quite valuable in a pinch,

This old SOG was my second, I wore the first one out and my Dad was a gun dealer and had it replaced with this one. It's sentimental so it now stays in the house.

What you got?

hkJMfz2.jpg

19 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Im a contractor so I carry a truckload of tools. I'm always fixing something!

Me too. One of my helpers that used to work with me carried a Leatherman multitool all the time. We probably worked together about 2 or 3 years and I guess my experience is that the only useful thing on it is the bottle opener

On an actual jobsite I would never be so unprepared that a multitool would be useful. If I was in nature with nothing else then a multi tool would be handy

18 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I was given this Gerber Multi-Plier as a safety award, while working for the Army.

It's a few years old.
25 maybe?

It's only seen so much service, but it does travel around in my 'day at the shooting range' kit bag.

😜

eoUPQGv.jpg

I have had my hand pinched by a few of those style Gerber's. In the military they handed those out like tic tacs. You usually also got one when you qualified for your watch station. I've had Gerber's and Leathermen multi-tools. 

17 hours ago, jdgm said:

Giant-Swiss-Army-Knife.jpg

I actually saw one like that in Switzerland when I was there. It was on display in a store I went in. I cant remember the name of the town.  I think the one I saw was in the Guinness Book Of World Records. Its really silly up close.

I was issued a Gerber on my job. It's still in the box. I still have a Leatherman. About 15 years ago my mom (who was in her late 70s  at the time) asked me for pliers, so she can pull a few staples out of a cross-stitch frame. The Leatherman was handy at the moment, so I gave it to her. One of the jaws on the pliers snapped when she was using it. To Leatherman's credit, they replaced the tool under their lifetime warranty.

17 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I actually saw one like that in Switzerland when I was there. It was on display in a store I went in. I cant remember the name of the town.  I think the one I saw was in the Guinness Book Of World Records. Its really silly up close.

Yes in fact they only made a very few of these specifically for display purposes.  Due to the mass and width of the casing it would be difficult or near-impossible to actually  use many of the blades etc for anything serious as you'd have to hold it with both hands.   

On 10/23/2023 at 10:39 AM, badbluesplayer said:

12wOr0Z.jpg

BBP -   I have a near identical one. Had it for 52 years.  Toothpick on the other side of the tweezer?   I foolishly used the blade to pry something and put a very small bend in it, but the hinge thingy held up 100%.    Learned you NEVER use a knife as a pry bar, screw driver, shovel, etc.   Even if it says it's a 'multi-tool'.  

On 10/23/2023 at 2:38 PM, gearbasher said:

To Leatherman's credit, they replaced the tool under their lifetime warranty.

I've heard they're good about warranty. I've used SOG's (the older American made ones) for decades because my dad was a gun dealer and got them for "cost" and have had great luck with them. I use a multi-tool many times every day between my properties and many hobbies.

I'd spend a lot of time chasing down basic tools without one.

20 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

I have a near identical one. Had it for 52 years.  Toothpick on the other side of the tweezer?   I foolishly used the blade to pry something and put a very small bend in it, but the hinge thingy held up 100%.   

Owen's Swiss Army Knife isn't that thick, but it has a lot of tools. I'll have to figure out which one he has.

He fixes stuff all the time with it.

He's like a regular MacGyver...

23 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

BBP -   I have a near identical one. Had it for 52 years.  Toothpick on the other side of the tweezer?   I foolishly used the blade to pry something and put a very small bend in it, but the hinge thingy held up 100%.    Learned you NEVER use a knife as a pry bar, screw driver, shovel, etc.   Even if it says it's a 'multi-tool'.  

That thing is about 50 to 52 years old.  Same model year, maybe...

• Confused 1