Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson intonation

EuroAussie

Why is it so rubbish ?

Almost all of my Gibsons intonation gets really poor as i fret up the neck, where its almost half a tone off normally when im on the say low B on the 7th fret.

When I try my Furch its dead on, and the Martin pretty close, but the Gibbys so sloppy.

Why is that, and is there a way to fix this folks ?

cheers,

EA

3 hours ago, EuroAussie said:

Why is it so rubbish ?

Almost all of my Gibsons intonation gets really poor as i fret up the neck, where its almost half a tone off normally when im on the say low B on the 7th fret.

When I try my Furch its dead on, and the Martin pretty close, but the Gibbys so sloppy.

Why is that, and is there a way to fix this folks ?

cheers,

EA

EA,

Best advice you will get for this problem is short and sweet:

You and your guitar should meet with a Luthier at your favorite music store.

Good luck getting your problem solved.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

I know there were some years where the saddle slots were cut in the wrong location.  The fix is to have it filled and re-cut in the proper location.  As Rob said, bring it to a good tech/luthier, they should be able to get it sorted.

Welcome to the upper department, EA - it took some time.

1 hour ago, EuroAussie said:

Its a mix of straight and compnsated saddles. I do have a good luthier i could take them to.

You guys dont have this problem on your Gibbys ??

Haven't noticed , then again don't visit those heights very often myself. Will be aware though.

Well, don't have to tell you working the saddle will be a way of curing this. As Murph knows it's called surgical sanding

Stay in tune Prague

Every Guitar I’ve ever owned had to have a proper Set up. Cheap ones or expensive ones.. Manufacturer’s do a basic Seetup.. Dealers used to them but not so much anymore.. A couple do a slightly better job than the Factory.. 

I own Gibson’s, Martin’s, Epiphone’s, Rickenbacker’s, Grtetsch’s, Hofner & Fender’s.. They all needed something to get in perfect playing condition..

A good Luthier can Setup your Guitar to play great. Good String height, proper Neck Relief & perfect Intonation. It may need Neck, Nut, Bridge & Fret  work.. It may need better Nut & Bridge..  Maybe better Tuners & better Strings.. 

I can do much of the work myself.. I’ve taken the time to buy the tools & learn.. My Luthier does a far better job than I so I usually have him do the initial Set up work as needed.. From then on I can do adjustments to keep it in good playing condition.. In perfect tune & intonation..

Good luck to you!

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

Every Guitar I’ve ever owned had to have a proper Set up. Cheap ones or expensive ones.. Manufacturer’s do a basic Seetup.. Dealers used to them but not so much anymore.. A couple do a slightly better job than the Factory.. 

I own Gibson’s, Martin’s, Epiphone’s, Rickenbacker’s, Grtetsch’s, Hofner & Fender’s.. They all needed something to get in perfect playing condition..

A good Luthier can Setup your Guitar to play great. Good String height, proper Neck Relief & perfect Intonation. It may need Neck, Nut, Bridge & Fret  work.. It may need better Nut & Bridge..  Maybe better Tuners & better Strings.. 

I can do much of the work myself.. I’ve taken the time to buy the tools & learn.. My Luthier does a far better job than I so I usually have him do the initial Set up work as needed.. From then on I can do adjustments to keep it in good playing condition.. In perfect tune & intonation..

Good luck to you!

Puzzles me you don't mention the saddle, which would be 1st priority when adjusting for cleaner intonation. Do you mean saddle when saying bridge. 

Btw. checked my Birds and they don't have the prob. Even though I sanded the saddles several times over the years. . 

Have to add I never encountered the theme, EA - the contemporary Gibsons here are very well working.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Some of the oldies however had a few issues - but also here'n'there in the low 3 or 5 first frets sector. 

Thanks for the input folks. I checked again and noticed the ones with compensated saddle were the biggest culprits, the Dove and J-150 specifically. The TV Hummingbird is spot and suprisingly, or maybe not the 43' LG-2 has 100% spot on intonation, even after 80 years. 

Might take the maple cousins for checkup at the luthier..

14 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

As Murph knows it's called surgical sanding.   

I live in the upper zone a lot.

This is mostly around the 7th fret, however, notice that chord has 2 open strings playing along with the fretted ones, so intonation is critical.  There are a few spots where I hit the 10th and 11th frets.

There are plenty of books and videos to tell you HOW to do it, and the science behind it. It's actually not rocket science, just math. And patience. You can do it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dhanners623 said:

The last two Gibsons I bought — a ‘96 J-45 and a ‘16 J-35 — intonated just fine. But, as has been noted, nearly every guitar requires a set-up of some sort coming out of the factory. Why people expect a guitar off the showroom floor to play perfectly is beyond me.

I'm sure many just think, hey I just slapped down $3999 on an acoustic guitar, and now I have to take it it a person (and pay him/her/he/she/it/they/them, did I get all the pronouns so not to offend) to now get it where the notes sound right all they way up the neck? 

Yes if you want the guitar to feel and sound good to you. 

Or learn how to do it yourself. 

6 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Puzzles me you don't mention the saddle, which would be 1st priority when adjusting for cleaner intonation. Do you mean saddle when saying bridge. 

Btw. checked my Birds and they don't have the prob. Even though I sanded the saddles several times over the years. . 

Have to add I never encountered the theme, EA - the contemporary Gibsons here are very well working.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Some of the oldies however had a few issues - but also here'n'there in the low 3 or 5 first frets sector. 

I was referring to both Acoustic & Electric Guitars.. I thought it was a given when I mentioned several of the other Guitar makes I own.. But, yes, I probably should have added the word Saddle & probably others too. Apologies for not being more explicit..

When I bought my very special used J45-TV, it was a mystery. The action was high. And it buzzed. And the intonation was fubar. It was very puzzling to me, but I knew my limitations and took it to the best shop I knew (Brothers Music in PA). It received a new nut and  saddle, had its neck straightened, and it hasn’t been adjusted since.

the right setup makes a guitar. Good luck EA. I firmly believe if your guitar has the bones right, the right setup can, well. You know.

ps my saddle is not compensated?

HcTweXA.jpg

Edited by Salfromchatham

The intonation on my new Martin HD-28 was way off.  I contacted Martin and got a reply from then-head guy Mike Longworth that if I "was offended by normal intonation" I could take it to a luthier."  I did just that; Steve Triplett set her up with a compensated saddle and she was just fine.

The intonation on my J200 is a little finicky even with the compensated saddle she came with; I've just learned to baby it and live with it.

20 hours ago, PrairieSchooner said:

The intonation on my new Martin HD-28 was way off.  I contacted Martin and got a reply from then-head guy Mike Longworth that if I "was offended by normal intonation" I could take it to a luthier."  I did just that; Steve Triplett set her up with a compensated saddle and she was just fine.

Normal Intonation?  What the heck is that supposed to mean?   LOL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My Dove has immaculate intonation, the best I’ve ever experienced in an acoustic guitar. I can’t find a duff note anywhere…it has had a bridge replacement in the past though. 

My SJ200 is a bit snicketty but is due a refret, so pulls sharp in places. Getting that sorted asap. ‘67 J45 gets wonky above the 7th, but is also due a luthier visit as the bridge is lifting a tiny bit. He’ll get it straightened out. 

My D18GE Prototype has superb intonation despite a medium action and worn frets…no idea why, but despite appearing to need fettling, it gets a great deal of work during sessions and always sound fabulous on record. 

I’ve had some Gibsons that intonate horribly though…they seem a bit unpredictable intonation wise.