Gibson Brands Forums

Fravorite Toy from Your Youth

Bluemoon

Actually I didn't have many "toys" per se since I was a little kid in the time period after WWII when they were just getting back into civilian manufacturing.

In fact, I really kinda envied my little bro - born in 1950 - for the toys he had that were much better than the stuff I had, mostly.

Except bb guns. There was my Red Ryder special with the wooden stock - then even quicker, the Daisy pump. When I got good enough I got to shoot the real thing, but that's another tale to tell, too.

On the other hand, I was brought up in a small town car and motorcycle dealership, so I had a lotta the real mechanical things to play with.

In ways, one "toy" I really liked was my cub scout knife with all the tools that made camping easier. Pop bottles didn't have screw-off lids, cans really required a can opener; fire starting required the cutting blade to fuzz up some wood. The leather punch was handy, too.

I probably would have gone nuts over a Leatherman.

m

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lawn darts.

http://lawndartparts.com/

Just kidding...

We were doing archery and committing unspeakable stupidity well before lawn darts came out.

Favorite?

I think it was called a Verti-Bird.

Small helicopter cable-driven and controlled from a small console.

Built over a hundred model airplanes.

Actually "played" around my folks heavy equipment and real airplanes alot.

BB guns, 22's then real guns, hunting while still in elementary school.

Big Wheels didn't last very long with the crowd I was in.

Hot Wheels - a guy I work with has THOUSANDS of them.

The first year they were out (1968) there were only 16 models and I had most of them.

Gave 'em away in the late seventies, they're worth a small fortune now.

Trains too, had a couple nice set-ups. Still have one in boxes, can't remember the gauge but it's tiny.

Bicycles, then mini-bikes, then motorcycles.

Junk guitars.

...................and then Subbuteo Table Soccer

I actually became a local champion at that =D> =D> =D>

I could never get the hang of Subbuteo and the bloody bases kept snapping off...................

...........................Hang about!

You wouldn't be related to Fergal Sharky would you? And called Kevin?

Märklin trains...

Marklin.jpg

Very nice.. HOscale?... Do you still collect (or have guitar expenses taken over?)?

My Dad was an avid collector, had stuff from all over the place. Märklin, Fleischmann (vollmer kits too), Rivarossi, Bachmann as well the American stuff.. Lionel and American Flyer (HO scale-from the late 1940s and early 50s), Atlas, Athern, early Japanese brass kits and etc.

Dad was a family Doctor, with a large and diverse practice..(You know how Doctors' offices always have old magazines in the waiting rooms-- He had lots of train magazines).

Many of his patients were 1st and 2nd generation Americans, who often travelled back and forth to Europe to visit family.. His patients would always bring him back model trains..

I should have put in Corgi and Matchbox cars/trucks..

My Johnny West doll *errr action figure from 1966. I still have it. I replaced one broken forearm with one from a yard sale donor and I've lost all the accessories except for his vest' date=' but he's out on a shelf in the workshop.[/quote']

Gotta agree. I had Johhny and his trusty Steed..."Thunderbolt"!!

Close second was my G.I. Joe. Not that tiny plastic crap either. I'm talking 12" action figure with Kung Fu Grip!!

Come to think of it....My Steve Austin (Bionic Man) with the Transport and repair station was cool too!!

Remember these?

Click Clacks.

They're coming back in popularity again.

My uncle came home from Vietnam and the first time he heard them he thought a machine gun went off outside his appartment complex.

Snapshot2009-10-1409-37-31.jpg

My uncle made those...He was into Resin type art.

We called them K-nockers

I think I had one of those click clack things... about 1970-71, right? Friggin' lethal if anyone was in the way.

I had lots of Matchbox and Hot Wheels too. I gave many away when I got a little older but some survived and were unearthed about 5 years ago. Sold them on ebay for rude money. A Cockney Cab, a couple Splittin' Image... can't recall what else.

Christmas of '69 they got me the big huge Hot Wheels race track with the two battery operated booster stations. You remember, the orange track and all? More of a PIA to set up than anything else.

In '67 (I think) my brother bought me a little white Jeep type thing, I think it was called a Mighty Mike or Mighty Mite. Ran on batteries.

My brother got a Lionel train in the late 50s or so. I know absolutely nothing about them but it was big; the engine must be 10" or so long. It may be an 'O' gauge?? Seems like he'd put a little pill into the smoke stack and it would emit some kind of smoke or vapor. It's still up in my mother's attic. I'd like to get ahold of it and set it up. The transformer is long gone but I bet one could be found. There was enough track to make a good sized oval.

My youth was during the time that toys did not get mass exposure in TV so there wasn't the big push to get what every other kid was getting. I remember more just playing with my brothers and not so much the specific toys. Hula hoops may have been the first of the toy crazes I recall. By '62 when I got my first guitar, toys no longer mattered. Until I got "older". I got my first electric train from my parents when I was 25. In the late 70's I discovered die cast cars and now I have way too many.

Archived