Gibson Brands Forums

When did you get inspired?

Shnate McDuanus

I'm sorry if there has already been a topic about this at some point. I just thought that it would be interesting. So here goes: what made you decide you wanted to play guitar? Was it one song, a single performance, a band, a whole genre?

For me, it was either Undead by Ten Years After, Cosmo's Factory by Creedence Clearwater Revival, or Rory Gallagher's Irish Tour. I can't remember which. And then again, it may have been Elmore James' Fire/Fury/Enjoy Sessions.

Hell, it must have been one of those. :-k

guy in elementry school said we could get girls if we got guitars.....and they look cool also.....much better than a tennis racquet

...oh learning to play ? still working on that now after 30 years......maybe I should get some type lessons

Honestly, I played drums first. I wanted to play drums because I loved Smashing Pumpkins songs and wanted to learn them. After less than six months though, the neighbors (I live in an area where there's a lot of elderly) called the cops enough to the point where my parents told me I had to get rid of the drums. So I switched to guitar because, once again, really wanted to play Smashing Pumpkins songs. The first song I learned was one of there's, "Disarm." It the long run, it kind of helped me a bit too to learn a bit about drums first, as a songwriter I keep the drums in mind as well and am able to bring those ideas to the table.

I was 11 years old and after seeing music videos of Slash (begged my mom to take me to GN'R when I was 7...couldn't believe she did...haha), Zakk Wylde, and Ace Frehely I decided I wanted to play....By the time I got to high school it became more of a way to meet chicks...For years I would end up playing bass for bands just so I could play.

When I was ten, gypsies playing flamenco in Andalucia got me playing guitar.

When I was about fifteen, seeing Hendrix up close and personal got me electrified.

Brother Duane inspired me to take up the slide, and he and James Patrick made

me look back at all those old guys who played the blues waaaaaaay back when.

My cousin played Metallica for me when I was 11 or 12 (I think it was ...And Justice For All). Also, I had a friend with an older brother that played guitar in a band. So probably a combination of those two things.

Story begins with what made me a rocker at first. I was 12 and my best friend brought home a tape (remember those?) with Trash - Alice Cooper. I was blown away and from that moment I knew I was in love with that sound and I knew that I was going to be for ever and that it's not just a ''passing phase''...

Most probably my next question was ''what is this on playing that fast?'' on the rhythm intro of ''Spark in the darl''...? From that moment, I wanted to be the one making that sound!

Sad part of the story that it took me 17 years to decide to take guitar lessons finally. No encouragement and the long distance from a guitar teacher / musical school being the original obstacle...

So, John McCurry is to blame...

PS: Why the hell I cannot find ANY info / pictures of this guy on the internet? He was a hell of a guitarist and he only recorded this one (the most commercially successful BTW) record with Alice. Did not even join the tour. Anyone can help...?

Hearing "Won't Get Fooled Again". Pete Townshend is the reason I picked up a guitar.

Then seeing Steve Jones of The Sex Pistols playing an LP on "God Save The Queen" - this made me realise that even I could learn to play guitar. Still learning that song though!

When I was about in 3rd or 4th grade, I knew a lot of the older kids were listening to KISS, so I wanted to be like them. I got Alive II I think it was and seeing Ace in all those pictures made me want to play guitar. I also remember loving the sound of the live version of Shock Me. It may sound weird now, but back then my moms vacuum cleaner made a sound similar to Aces tone:-k That's actually a compliment to his tone.

But really the first song that I remember making up my mind to learn some day, even before I knew anything about how to play guitar, was Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits. I have a distinct memory of being in about 5th grade and saying to a freind, "I want to learn to play that song some day". Well, I was about in 10th grade before I finally did.

I'm sorry if there has already been a topic about this at some point. I just thought that it would be interesting. So here goes: what made you decide you wanted to play guitar? Was it one song' date=' a single performance, a band, a whole genre?

For me, it was either [i']Undead[/i] by Ten Years After, Cosmo's Factory by Creedence Clearwater Revival, or Rory Gallagher's Irish Tour. I can't remember which. And then again, it may have been Elmore James' Fire/Fury/Enjoy Sessions.

Hell, it must have been one of those. #-o

None of the above. Actually, that's not true. As I stated in another thread, my Father initially inspired me, and after that, A whole slew of songs, bands I was listening to at the time kickstarted me...but the biggest single influence for me...at the time, would have to be Led Zeppelin, or more specifically, Jimmy Page. Just him with that Les Paul (I don't care what he recorded with), and that F@CKING TONE! Then along came the Jeff Becks, the Duane Allmans, the Gary Rossingtons, the Joe Satrianis, etc, etc, etc. It isn't any ONE thing for me. Christ, there's Flatt and Scruggs, Chet Atkins, Roy Clark...just so many. Lately, I've been on a Johnny Cash Kick.

honestly.... id have to say when i was about 9 and i listened to the entire led zeppelin box set in 1 day.... my dad is a huge zep fan, and i found the box set in his record cabinet.... i put it in cuz i thought the cover looked cool (its the box set with the field with the zeppelin shadow) and i listened to all 4 cds... great times =D>

honestly.... id have to say when i was about 9 and i listened to the entire led zeppelin box set in 1 day.... my dad is a huge zep fan' date=' and i found the box set in his record cabinet.... i put it in cuz i thought the cover looked cool (its the box set with the field with the zeppelin shadow) and i listened to all 4 cds... great times =D>[/quote']

When did ya see the Song Remains the Same movie ?

Alice Cooper's Trash was '89.

Guitar duties were Mark Frazier, Jack Johnson, Steve Lukather, Guy Mann, John McCurry, Joe Perry, Kane Roberts and Richie Sambora. (so it may not have been ol' Johnny Mc.....)

Hector Arcadius - I'm guessing you don't Google - type John McCurry in to the box, in quotes:-

Heres ol' John.....

johnmccurry.jpg

And here's what he's been up to.....

http://www.discogs.com/artist/John+McCurry

You'll notice that it's quite a long list.

It's interesting that anyone who's been inspired to pick up the guitar because of seeing or hearing KISS credits Ace as the reason. Its never those other two ego maniacs.

It will be interesting if inducted into the rock n roll hall will they charge Ace a fee to be back with the band for one night?

Started in about 7th grade, I was in band for the last two years playing alto sax and clarinet, it was probably me, but I felt extremely limited with these instruments and I didn't care for playing them. I had always listened to rock music, but once I heard Green Day, and then went to a SamAsh to get reeds, I wandered over to the guitar section and just started plucking and strumming, it sounded terrible but I felt an immediate connection, and a wonderous exploit of sound and tone, that I couldn't reach with either of those instruments.

Again, it was probably me, but I felt limited, I no longer have that feeling with guitar, the only limit is my ability =D>

Reason I picked up a bass: My brother

He needed someone to jam with and I thought bass would be fun to learn.

Biggest inspiration: Getty Lee

I don't have to be a simple minded bass player and just rumble on one note, instead find notes that fit on that one cord while keeping in time with the drummer.

Since then I've been listening more and more to John Entwistle, John Paul Jones, and Joco P From Weather Report. And been creating my own sound through a blend of those for bassist.

Archived