Gibson Brands Forums

Reasonable Gig Guitars

Silenced Fred

So a while ago there was the dream guitar rig where everyone could pick anything to have, but I have a different question: What if you could only have 1 amp and 2 guitars that must be versatile enough and match your playing techniques?

I would have to say A Gibson Les Paul Standard and a Fender Strat with a Mesa.

Interesting thread...

1. My Les Paul Studio

2. G&L Legacy HB (on my wish-list...)

3. Marshall Vintage Modern (this is on the dream-list. I could use that even without pedals...)

Pedals:

My M.I. Audio Crunch Box

MXR GT-OD (also on the wish list, as the items below)

C.A.E. Wah

A good delay pedal

MXR EVH Flanger

I think I'm done...:-k

SG, 175, nearly any decent amp under say, 50 pounds.

I've concluded it's the feel of the guitar. The sound? I dunno, with various electronics, I can either get, or see how to get about any sound I want. Never did particularly care for Fender necks.

m

A slight modification on my current setup. Right now I run my SG Special through a Silvertone 1484 with matching 2x12 cab. My second guitar is a Sheraton with Gibson 57s.

For an upgrade I would swap the 1484 for a 1485 and still run it through the same cab. The 1485 is more watts which means more headroom at louder volumes. The SG stays as my main guitar. She fits me like a glove. For my second guitar I might go something with single coil pickups like a Vox Mark VI Acoustic, Mustang, or Jaguar. Would be great if I could find a mahogany Mustang.

Stevejosh-

It's desert burst, and thanks! I thought so too =P~

Guitarest-

That's the American Mahogany Special, I never saw one offered with a maple fretboard O:). I kind of do and kind of don't like the maple fretboards... I've seen a lot of them on Strats where the edge looks kind of dark and rotted once they get old, particularly around the 3rd and 5th frets. It's probably just wear, but it looks horrible. Having said that, I've owned a maple neck Strat copy and LOVED playing on it... it was smoooooooth, like working the strings on silk. I also feel there are some guitars that just don't look right without a maple fretboard. I'd love to have A/B ed the difference with this one and a maple board (especially now that AXE® posted that chart telling me how it's supposed to sound!)

hmmmm... this indeed is a very difficult one.... :D

I have 2 different ideal combinations:

"Classic/Vintage" Rig:

-1959 Gibson Les Paul Std

-50's Fender Strat

-Marshall Plexi

and

"Modern" Rig:

-Gibson Les Paul Custom (Wine Red Finish)

-Fender Vintage Hot Rod '52 Telecaster

-Mesa/Boogie Road King II

Stevejosh-

It's desert burst' date=' and thanks! I thought so too :D

Guitarest-

That's the American Mahogany Special, I never saw one offered with a maple fretboard :(. I kind of do and kind of don't like the maple fretboards... I've seen a lot of them on Strats where the edge looks kind of dark and rotted once they get old, particularly around the 3rd and 5th frets. It's probably just wear, but it looks horrible. Having said that, I've owned a maple neck Strat copy and LOVED playing on it... it was smoooooooth, like working the strings on silk. I also feel there are some guitars that just don't look right without a maple fretboard. I'd love to have A/B ed the difference with this one and a maple board (especially now that AXE® posted that chart telling me how it's supposed to sound!) [/quote']

hmmm wasn't sure because mine looks a bit lighter than your's

randompics005.jpg

Wow really hard choice only 2 guitars and 1 amp [confused]

You did say for gigging though so

#1 Gibson Warren Haynes sig LP amazing playing guitar

#2 Hammer Talladega for the single coil p-90 sound

amp - wow even tougher but I'd have to go with the 74 Marshall 18 even over the boutique stuff.

This would be very hard though I have way to many guitars and amps to limit to this number only and it means the Trussart and my 59 Jr would not get to rotate anymore.

I have the two guitars, A Gibson Nighthawk and a Fender Stratocaster.

As for one amp, I need two. I run them in stereo so I can get several Clean/Dirty combination's. That would be Two Boogies, Vox AC 30's or perhaps Engnaters (the four channel ones).

Or if I could get my paws on an old Ovation Arrow, that'd be pretty neat too, or this friend of mine's Dad a long time ago had this big old archtop 3 pickup Silvertone BEAST of a guitar, or my Telecaster I regrettably had to sell. Thinking back, the Silvertone kinda looked like a cross between a Gretsch, and a Byrdland, had a seperate switch for each pickup on the horn, and a canoe paddle for a peghead...yeah, that old Silvertone would fit the bill nicely for Uncle Teddy stuff.

Archived