Gibson Brands Forums

Guns N' Roses

Jantha

Listening to some old GNR right now, and it got me curious.

I'm not out to debate Slash's guitar god status... or what a flaming putz Axl Rose is... I'd just like to know everyone's opinion.

I remember when I first heard Guns N' Roses back in the day. I just thought they were a hard rockin', kick *** band. I know a lot of people hate them tho.

Edit: I also realize this has probably been done before.. sigh.

I like all their stuff, I am one of those people who lined up to buy Use Your Illusion I and II when they came out.

I was fortunate to see them live at all their splendor.

I even play the Spaghetti Incident often as I like the original tunes and the Gn'R versions.

i loved the (slash) guns n roses! propper 80's-early 90's rock!' date=' here my fave though...

[YOUTUBE']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDhkVTKTBoY[/YOUTUBE]

+1,000!!!!!

My absolute favorite and less recognized anthem, with most probably the best lyrics Axl ever wrote.

I think they used to be a fabulous band, overflowing with talent, but that includes the line-up up to the ''Use your Illusion'' period. The first mistake Axl did is kick Izzy out the band, which was the group's best song-writer. It was all downhill after that.

BTW, and I'm going on a limp here, I even dig Chinese Democracy, as long as:

1. You do not ocnsider it a GnR album, just Axl's solo endeavour.

2. Ignore the fact it took 10 years to write & produce. It is certainly not THAT good...:-

I loved Appetite but that was about it...i couldn't get into the Use Your Illusion albums....seemed to me like they got softer....less rockin.

Yea, Appetite was the best for sure. I liked some their later stuff, but it didn't seem to have the same bite to it. I'm listening through Chinese Democracy right now. It doesn't seem TOO bad so far...

The first mistake Axl did is kick Izzy out the band' date=' which was the group's best song-writer. It was all downhill after that. [/quote']

So true. Izzy is the most under recognized member of Gn'R. His riffs were the catalyst to their best songs. He and Slash had great chemistry. On youtube there is a concert of theirs in St. Louis, just before UYI came out and the biggest crime is how low Izzy's guitar is in the mix. Turn that Tele up!

I love Gn'R. Appetite for Destruction is one of the greatest rock records of all time and sonically it is the last great rock record made since they mixed and mastered it for vinyl. After that it was red lining and boat loads of compression (thanks Oasis).

Slash mentions in his book that somewhere there is a mix of UYI without all of the orchestration/keyboards Axl added. Would love to hear that: two guitars, bass, drums, vocals, and a little piano.

They were a cool band. It's always a mixed bag with Axl's vocals (he sounds great on "Don't Damn Me," he sounds awful on "November Rain"--just my opinion, though,) but overall I liked their stuff.

It seemed, however, that as they went along further they had more filler to offer.

I want to love them, but I can only say I like them a lot.

Appetite is one of my all time favorite albums. It is actually what inpired me to play guitar.

A few years ago all I listened to was that emo garbage like My Chemical Romance and such. I didn't know anything about music back then so when my dad asked me what type of genre it was I said "I think it's punk". Obviously it wasn't punk so my dad gave my some punk albums and I actually liked it a lot. And so for the next few months he would just give me a new album or two each month. One day he gave me appetite for destruction. Less then a month later I had my first guitar! :D

I like every single song from Appetite and a few of them from use your illusions but I think they were pretty down hill from there. I think a mix of axl getting crazier and Izzy leaving the band (cause he just left, he wasn't kicked out.) were really what tore the band apart. But god they rocked when they first came out. My favorite preformance of theirs was the show they did at the ritz in 89 I think. Such a kickass concert!

The first mistake Axl did is kick Izzy out the band' date=' which was the group's best song-writer. It was all downhill after that. [/quote']

Axl didn't kick him out, he left because he was scared he would get back into smack...

He was also the life force of that band...

Archived