Gibson Brands Forums

What are some things you will never understand?

dem00n

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since this is a Gibson forum...

1) Rosewood (non-ebony) fingerboard and guitar with the label "Les Paul Custom"

2) Changing the pickups on a vintage gibson Guitar. Or pretty much any gibson Guitar for that matter... Especially those that come with 57 Classics like an ES-335.

3) Putting tape over f-holes to prevent feedback on huge hollow bodies like the Epi Emporer Regent or Super 400. That's what semi-hollow bodies are for...

Fried Ice Cream...this one I'm really curious about. I need to do research.

I know it sounds weird, but there is a place here where I live that makes the BEST fried ice cream. It really is worth trying if you haven't already.

I'll never understand how people who have access to some 6,000 years of written material that illuminates human nature will assume that with the correct political or religious "change," human nature will change.

Oh - and base 60 math. Base 2, 8, 16 - even 12 - at least kinda. 60? Sheesh, I'm glad I'm not an ancient Sumerian.

m

I'll never understand how people who have access to some 6' date='000 years of written material that illuminates human nature will assume that with the correct political or religious "change," human nature will change.

Oh - and base 60 math. Base 2, 8, 16 - even 12 - at least kinda. 60? Sheesh, I'm glad I'm not an ancient Sumerian.

m

[/quote']

Yep......

That, and Greenday.

the "big bang" theory

"black holes"

what makes one recording a hit while a musically similar one bombs (If I knew, I'd go into the consulting business and make some serious dollars)

why people kill in the name of religion

why the bass clef doesn't have the same notes on the lines and spaces as the treble clef (would it have been that much trouble?)

I too could go on

why the bass clef doesn't have the same notes on the lines and spaces as the treble clef (would it have been that much trouble?)

I'm not sure why I never thought of this.. But it makes perfert sense... If you did that you would then have 2 more notes between the clefs ? So, you would have :

-----------------------------------------------------

- C

- A

Damn, that would make moving between Bass and Guitar even easier than it is now...

Another thought I always had would be to color code flat and sharped notes so that you don't always have to keep up with the key and whatever sharp/flat the composer sneaks in...

Timotheedle42

If you're having problem with one bit of Aristotle from one translator, try the same passages with another translation. Sometimes things will "click" better.

Or... if you've got it as a text file instead of a "book," try adding paragraphs, even if they're one-sentence paragraphs... You don't try to eat a steak 4 ounces at a time, so...

Consider also that essentially Aristotle is one who loved to put things into categories - and as far as I'm concerned, his stuff is the basis of what we now call ontology. Think categories and why some things are grouped together and others are not, or can not be.

I personally tend to credit Plato with more along the lines of the basis of epistemology, or how we know, or think we know, what "is" around us. The "parable of the cave," in the Republic, book VII, is written as a dialog...

Different perspectives from these two old guys... but if you think of Aristotle defining and categorizing and Plato as always trying to figure out how you know what you think you know...

As to treble and bass clef differences... I'm perhaps the world's worst sight reader, but I always figured it was at least partly to help the eye keep seeing a difference for the use of both hands - if not by intent, then in aid of its longterm success. OTOH, we haven't always used that sort of notation, either.

Actually string and membrane universes and big bang and black holes seem to make decent sense...

In fact... <grin> the concept of parallel and nearly tangent universes is perhaps a neat way to explain some mythology...

Oh, and Karen... were you speaking metaphorically? <grin>

m

Archived