Gibson Brands Forums

Best guitar related purchse you've ever made.

DAS44

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think on April 24 1999, I paid $400 for a 1989 Fender Strat Plus in a VERY RARE see through black burst finish. Try to find one in good condition in that color on ebay for less than $800. Blue book is about $1000. I have bought and sold at least 10 guitars since then and it is still my favorite.

In 1985 I bought a 1973 Les Paul Custom for $400... And believe it or not, that was a fair price for that time... With the hair band craze, the market was flooded with 70's les pauls...

Last year I bought a 1999 Les Paul Custom for $1500 off of craigslist... The thing reeked like pot... It took a while to get rid of that smell... But it's still got the best tone by far of any guitar I have owned...

I dunno.

The first amp, a Fender DR, was a darned good buy even though at the time I hadda pay list.

That big Aims Dual 12 amp is awfully nice, if crazy heavy for a guy my age and size.

Dollar for dollar, though, in ways the little Kustom acoustic amp I got around five years ago. Good size to carry, decent tone, runs into the computer fairly well... In spite of being "acoustic," it's nice with electrics, too.

Guitars.... Hmmm. I dunno. I wish I had some back and that I hadn't done the swapping I did.

m

In 1985 I bought a 1973 Les Paul Custom for $400... And believe it or not' date=' that was a fair price for that time... With the hair band craze, the market was flooded with 70's les pauls... [/quote']

Freaking cool, man. I dig it.

Last year I bought a 1999 Les Paul Custom for $1500 off of craigslist... The thing reeked like pot...

That's called "mojo." [biggrin]

It took a while to get rid of that smell... But it's still got the best tone by far of any guitar I have owned...

It's good to know it all worked out. [cool] :) You got pics?

BTW, for me it has to be my SG Special Faded. Great guitar.

On August 12, 1974, I bought a 1960 Stratocaster for $195. I had to borrow the money from my sister. Anybody want to look up the current price in the vintage guitar guide, or what ever they call it. Just don't tell my sister, she would want a "cut". (still have it)

2886902854_632a1c8ac7_o.jpg

On August 12' date=' 1974, I bought a 1960 Stratocaster for $195. I had to borrow the money from my sister. Anybody want to look up the current price in the vintage guitar guide, or what ever they call it. Just don't tell my sister, she would want a "cut". (still have it)

[img']http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3134/2886902854_632a1c8ac7_o.jpg[/img]

Yeah, back in those days (until the early to mid 80's) they were just "used guitars!"

Then, the Japanese started buying up eveything "used American" from guitars, cars,

toys, clothing, anything...as long as it was "used" and American. Suddenly...Used,

became "Vintage," and priced accordingly...justified, or not. American, and other

entrepreneurs, got wind of it, exploited it to dizzying degrees...and Now, we have

all this Insanity. So...if you were lucky to own, and hang on to, one of those treasures,

you've done well.

CB

Archived