Gibson Brands Forums

Coca Cola or Pepsi?

nikko18

On 7/23/2021 at 10:17 AM, Whitefang said:

I'm going back and forth with a guy in another forum about Costco shopping(which in these parts now is no different from BJ's of Sam's Club)  and how my wife and I (former Sam's Club members) would joke about going there to lunch on all the samples they'd offer all the time.  [wink]   Back in "the day" we used to belong to one of the WAREHOUSE CLUB locations, all of which are gone now.   And since I'm retired and now a widower I have no need for getting many groceries, and other health and physical issues keep me from going many places and often enough to need getting gas for my car more often than once every three weeks or more.  And for the last few years there's been no real difference between the prices at Aldi and the Meijer store I frequent(which ids closer to home) except for some items.  So I usually go to either, depending on what I need.   And the Farmer's market my grand nephew manages has an excellent deli and top shelf produce..

FORTY:

Coke has always had caffeine, so I don't get what's so "new" about what you brought up.  And as you know, IHOP is a restaurant chain, and they no doubt sell their coffee at any restaurant location.  I've never seen it in the stores I frequent, but I'm willing to bet it's on par with DUNKIN'  and that McCAFE McDonald's is peddling now.   Much as I like coffee, I taste no difference twixt Dunkin', Tim Horton's, Krispy Kreme  and McCAFE at all.   The only major coffee that's different is Starbuck's, which I don't consider fit to drink anyway.  I suppose if you're the kind of person who goes in for those Baskin-Robbins type coffee stands, it's OK, but just straight it pretty much sucks.  It actually NEEDS to offer 31 flavors in order to be drinkable.  :rolleyes:

Whitefang

Aaaah ...   Sorry WF.   I said they combined  cola and caffeine.   I should have said  cola and COFFEE.  Coffee, and then they expanded to add a couple of different flavors to the two.   Cola Coffee MANGO,   Cola Coffee VANILLA ,  Cola Coffee Pickle next ? ....

• Haha 1

I avoid corn-fed beef, too. I prefer 100% grass-fed. And I get it from local, Florida ranchers. It's healthier and tastes better to me.

The corn isn't good for the cows, but then after the fattening I guess that doesn't matter. What does matter is that it changes the nutrient balance of the meat for the worse.

Notes

• Thanks 1

Sho' 'nuff.  And those steroids don't "cook off" like alcohol does.  So consumers are also reaping the "benefits" from those too.  :rolleyes:  And I sometimes wish I learned how to separate and de-bone  a chicken like my Grandmother could.  Then I could go to those poultry shops in Dearborn, MI run by Middle Eastern Muslims where I'd know the chickens would be raised by the laws of Halal and be clear of any unnatural additives like antibiotics and steroids.

I remember as a kid going with my Grandmother to a nearby poultry shop in Southwest Detroit( and that shop has been long gone now) and we'd go inside and there'd be nine chickens in cages behind the counter.  My Grandmother, raised for years on a farm, would ask the guy to see one chicken or another, hold them, squeezing them and going through a few before picking out one she liked.  The guy would take the chicken out through a door to the back of the shop and come back about 10 minutes later with a small brown paper package.  I guessed it was the chicken .   When we got back to my Grandmother's house, she'd fill one side of her double sink with water, unwrap the chicken from the paper, and hold it over a burner on the stove to singe the little hair like stubs left on the bird after the plucking.  Then she'd soak it in the sink for a while(an hour or two)  then take her boning knife and separate the pieces with surgical skill and precision.  Other times I'd see her cut all the meat from the bones with the same precision, leaving only enough scant meat on the bones for boiling the carcass for soup.  

If only I learned to cook HALF as good as her, I'd have the best restaurant in town!  [cool]  With the best Pierogi you'll ever eat!  [wink]

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

Unfortunately, due to (IMO) overpopulation and capitalism run amok, we are all lab rats in a factory food experiment.

I try to minimize the ultra-processed foods that I eat. Of course, eliminating them is impossible.

100% Florida grass-fed beef, organic produce, no GMOs (I don't mind genetically modifying as much as I do the tons of cancer causing glyphosate herbicides sprayed on them), and for my own personal health challenges, very low carbohydrate count.

That's why I avoid Coke and Pepsi. One can or bottle far exceeds the number of carbs I can eat in a day without gaining weight, plus the corn syrup is IMO detrimental to our health.

Your health is your most important asset. If your health fails, all the money in the world will only buy you a better casket and bigger headstone.

Notes

• Like 1

We don’t but “pop” in this household. Does anyone else call it pop? I heard it was somewhat of a regional thing… either way that s*** is bad. Only “good” things to drink are (pure) water and milk if you can handle the lactose. Coffee isn’t bad I suppose if you don’t add the sugar and cream and don’t consider caffeine a bad thing. But again I go back to water and milk. Everything else has something bad in it IMHO. To add, I don’t like milk personally but that’s just because I don’t prefer it. 

Yes, a 'bottle of pop' is an expression still used in the uk too. I like soda water, but I recently learned that even that is bad for teeth. 

I don't drink anything with sugar in it (that's not wine or beer). I've cut down caffeine greatly since retiring. I used to drink tea all morning from 6.45am to noon. That would've been about 7 cups. Now I make do with one, and occasionally two. Any more and I feel restless/hyper. No caffeine at all after noon because I'm a chronic insomniac. 

A carrot, celery or apple is a snack. I eat processed food in moderation, but its still too much. Food and drink though, are still part of life's pleasures, and are there to be enjoyed. 

21 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Your health is your most important asset. If your health fails, all the money in the world will only buy you a better casket and bigger headstone.

Notes

I suggest, to those who've never seen it, that they obtain a copy of the film FOOD INC.  to learn what unfettered "Big Agra" is doing to our food supply.  And THEN see how they feel about government "deregulation" of that industry. 

9 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

We don’t but “pop” in this household. Does anyone else call it pop? I heard it was somewhat of a regional thing… either way that s*** is bad. Only “good” things to drink are (pure) water and milk if you can handle the lactose. Coffee isn’t bad I suppose if you don’t add the sugar and cream and don’t consider caffeine a bad thing. But again I go back to water and milk. Everything else has something bad in it IMHO. To add, I don’t like milk personally but that’s just because I don’t prefer it. 

Actually, you're living IN a region that ordinarily calls it "pop".  Much of the midwest/"rustbelt"  area does.  And really, Mr. Evans(the "merciful")  hit it.  MODERATION.

Much of the stuff that some people here have been claiming is really bad for ya actually isn't.  Not if consumed in moderation.  For instance...

I would usually only on occasion have a can or bottle of "pop" with either lunch or dinner.  But never drink it all day long.  Not at those prices.  I don't mind drinking milk, but since the TIA have taken to fat free skim milk, which I only use for certain cereals as on it's own, doesn't(to me) taste as good as whole milk or even 2%.  

Pastry is a rare treat, and not big gobs of them either.  The largest portion od anything I eat lately are salads.  Usually with diced tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, shredded carrots and finely shredded swiss cheese topped with any "lite" vinaigrette  or other "lite" dressings.  My use of coumadin  keeps me from being able to use endive and/or Romaine lettuce.  And spinach leaves too.

Whitefang

22 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Unfortunately, due to (IMO) overpopulation and capitalism run amok, we are all lab rats in a factory food experiment.

I try to minimize the ultra-processed foods that I eat. Of course, eliminating them is impossible.

100% Florida grass-fed beef, organic produce, no GMOs (I don't mind genetically modifying as much as I do the tons of cancer causing glyphosate herbicides sprayed on them), and for my own personal health challenges, very low carbohydrate count.

That's why I avoid Coke and Pepsi. One can or bottle far exceeds the number of carbs I can eat in a day without gaining weight, plus the corn syrup is IMO detrimental to our health.

Notes

Good hay and ground oats and peas is the way I raise them. Ate cube steak last night out of the one I just butchered, oh man was it good with a side of asparagus. IDK about grass only, sounds like dry meat to me, but there are folks here that swear by it. Just like how long to hang the carcass after butchering. Some like a week, some like 2 weeks. Everyone has they’re own theory about it, just like what they feed them.

I one time heard that fructose - corn syrup have you - is actually similar to alcohol - which we know is a poison to our body - in the sense that the only organ that processes it is the liver. It is an extremely inefficient source of energy that is considered by the FDA as GRAS (generally regarded as safe). I don’t trust the FDA or many other 3 letter places today. Fructose is a sweetener that is not good for you at all. But moderation whatever, the less you have it - like alcohol - your body will thank you.  That is… pure fructose. It exists in nature, but if you say consume an apple, the fiber will reduce its absorption. 

FYI I like beer even if it’s bad for you. Just wanted to be objective to explain how the human body processes alcohol or in this case fructose which is a large part of “pop” more often than not. 

Edited by NighthawkChris

When I was touring the country and ended up as an opening act for Motown artists, everybody used to call it "Pop". In the east, it was "Soda". In some parts of the south, it's "Soda Pop".

Whatever you call it, I don't drink it at all.

There is more than one 'right' way to go through life, and for me, a very low carbohydrate count is the only thing that keeps me from being obese. One thing I know for sure, obesity isn't healthy, it killed both of my parents way too soon.

I don't drink milk, too much sugar (lactose) and if I did, I would make sure the cows weren't treated with rBGH or similar hormones.

I eat European and Australian cheeses because they don't feed their cows rGBH or rBST.

I eat what I call "lazy keto". I started back when Atkins was a fad. I researched Atkins and found he based his diet on an older, established Ketogenic diet.

Previous to that, I had tried low calorie, less meat, less dairy, and other diets that didn't work. Keto lost 40 pounds the first year, and 65 by the end of the second.

Lazy keto: I eat fewer than 1800 calories and 20g carbohydrates per day, plus I eat twice as much fat as protein. That's it.

A good side of that, is in the 30 years I've been doing this, I've gotten sick once. A two-day cold, one day of sneezing, one day of coughing.

I've had my heart checked by a heart doc who says I have the circulatory system of a healthy person 25 years younger than me (so much for fat clogs arteries) and I had a spinal x-ray and I sent a copy of the x-rays to a world-famous doctor relative who said my bones are very surprisingly excellent shape for a man of my age. A little wear at the place where my sax strap hangs, and that's it.

I'm on zero medications, and extremely healthy. That's rare for a person of my age.

If there was one diet that worked for everybody, there would only need to be one diet book. Through the process of experimentation, I found what works for me. YMMV

Insights and incites by Notes

• Like 1

Sure.  One diet doesn't work for everybody, and what one person finds is unhealthy for him isn't necessarily unhealthy for someone else.  One example.

My father in law smoked unfiltered cigarettes since anybody can remember.  And he was diagnosed diabetic by the time he was 70.  And he died in 1999 at age 86 of a condition(I forgot the $50 word it was called) that was neither smoking or diabetes related.

Another---

My fraternal Grandfather was what was called "rotund" for all his adult life.  Most these days they would have called him obese.  And he died in 1981 at age 87 of kidney failure.  And on yet another hand;

The second to the youngest of my wife's sisters died in 1990 at age 42 of a brain aneurysm.  Non smoker, non drinker and super model slim.

Nothing offers any guarantees for everyone.  We can all only do what seems to work best for ourselves and try to avoid taking in too much well meaning but useless advice. 

Whitefang

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Whitefang said:

<...snip...>

Nothing offers any guarantees for everyone.  We can all only do what seems to work best for ourselves and try to avoid taking in too much well meaning but useless advice. 

Whitefang

You are so correct.

You can look at your family members and see what propensities you may have inherited, but that is only a clue (no guarantees).

You can try things out on yourself and monitor the results. Again, no guarantee.

You can research reputable sources, and their advice might work for you or not (no guarantee).

Or you can ignore all the advice, and you may get lucky or not (no guarantee).

I'm doing extremely well so far in the health department, but a meteorite may fall from the heavens and take me out tomorrow. If so, I could have enjoyed all those doughnuts and pies I passed on :D, and it wouldn't have made much difference.

It's all a gamble, and the best you can do is play the odds and hopefully swing them in your favor.

My parents both died early from obesity-related diseases, so I figure that is something I need to address. So far -- so good. No guarantee.

Insights and incites by Notes

• 4 months later...

First of all don't drink any one.  😆Go for healthy food. I don't recommend any either of them.

coming to the topic in what sense are you asking this question. I mean public view or anything else. It depends on which category are you differentiating. In case of popularity Coke is ahead but in market value Pepsi is doing better. PepsiCo has gained more than 54% in share in last 5 years. Apart from this the price of both might be found similar. In other sense that is employee benefits and services people prefer Pepsi. Overall Rating and Work-life balance. PepsiCo scored higher in 5 areas while Coca-Cola in 2 areas only. Many employees at PepsiCo also shares their experience with Mypepsico . which is the online login portal of the company. So in overall I think Pepsi is ahead.

1 hour ago, Boaz xavier said:

coming to the topic in what sense are you asking this question. I mean public view or anything else. It depends on which category are you differentiating. In case of popularity Coke is ahead but in market value Pepsi is doing better. PepsiCo has gained more than 54% in share in last 5 years. Apart from this the price of both might be found similar. In other sense that is employee benefits and services people prefer Pepsi. Overall Rating and Work-life balance. PepsiCo scored higher in 5 areas while Coca-Cola in 2 areas only. Many employees at PepsiCo also shares their experience with Mypepsico . which is the online login portal of the company. So in overall I think Pepsi is ahead.

Well not that view really. See the OP. 

nevertheless the contribution is welcome, as are you Boaz

Surfpup is correct. They have done studies and Soda is not good for you "And" Diet soda is worse. I learned that regular soda with sugar is better for you than Diet. My wife learned that and gave up diet. Talk to your doctor about it. I used to drink Pepsi all the time and could not stand Coke. 

On 6/17/2021 at 6:59 AM, mecjohn said:

Flavor. The biggest difference between Pepsi and Coke is their flavors. Pepsi has more of a citrus taste, while Coke products have more of a vanilla-raisin taste. When it comes down to it, Pepsi has a stronger first sip taste, but Coke goes down smoother.Each company markets a large number of brands, with Coca Cola Company having the larger market share. This is reflected in drink sales with Coca-cola Classic continuing to outsell Pepsi.click on mypepsico

So this dude made an account just to come here and resurrect an 11yo thread ( which btw DanvilleRob was the last to post in 2010) and try to get people to click his SPAM site. 🙄