Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite beer

MojoRedFoot

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have a favorite, it depends on what I'm in the mood for. I like Murphy's Irish Stout as well as Miller.

With the exception of Coors (which doesn't actually taste like beer, IMO), I have yet to meet a beer I didn't like. Well, some of those candyass strawberry flavored beers and the like aren't exactly something I'd buy either; I like my beer to be beer flavored.

So many good ones! The thing is they are all so different there is no way to have a favorite. If I'm working around the house - or in the yard in the summer - I don't want a real heavy ale. I need something lighter then. And a stout, while great on a cold evening with hearty meal, is jsut too stout for regular drinking. I say variety is the spice of life!

My old faithful (much to the chagrin of one of our Aussie friends) is green can Fosters "Ale". It's really just a caramel-colored lager (bottom-fermented), but it's cheap and relatively tasty.

Some good ones already mentioned here that I have enjoyed..

Magic Hat (toured the brewery in Burlington, VT and became a fan - can't get it down here though [blink] )

Laguintas (excellent California ales)

Belgian Abbey ales (often called Trappist ales, brewed historically by monks - Chimay is a favorite of mine)

I recently discovered a great micro in Asheville, North Carolina called Highland Brewing Company. Their Gaelic Ale is delicious, and they are getting wider distribution.

For a micro (that is no longer micro) you can't beat the Sierra Nevada ales in my book. You can find them everywhere now. We served Sierra Nevada and Anchor Steam at out wedding reception as those were the best things the caterer offered. No one was disappointed.

^ hey surfpup ever go to the A1A brewery in St. Augustine? The stout there is awesome.

Many times. They do good stuff. I like the beer better than the food. It gets very crowded during tourist season, but we get there in winter quite often.

Hmmm.

I'm lucky. My Knight and his Lady wife are reknowned for their brewing skills. They make the best stuff ever.

Right now, though, I'd say my favorites are my Knight's hops infused hoppy Beer and his Baltic Porter.

I'd drink that Baltic Porter for dessert.... it is quite possibly the greatest beer on the planet, and I got to try it a bit early.

HUGELY alcoholic in content as well, but I'm sure that has nothing to do with it...

GOD I love re-creating the middle ages!

[blink]

Local Micro-brew:

1219464109662-38534304.gif

"MCCLEOD’S EWE

Guaranteed to love her as much as McCleod' date=' a crisp and malty Scottish ale...3.50"

When I can't get that (or their Red Ale), Sam Adams is acceptable.

[/quote']

I love North Country! -I went to college in Slippery Rock. If the brewery was there when I was a student, it probably would have taken me longer to graduate...haha. My favorite beer is probably their Firehouse Red. When I can't drink that, here's my favorite:

straubbeer.jpg

With so many beers, it is hard to pick a favorite. Living on the Great Lakes what I drink depends on the season (I am not going to drink a porter in the middle of July). Not much of a beer snob anymore, either. Offer me a High Life or PBR tall boy and we'll be best friends.

What I have been chugging lately

Hite - Korea's best beer.

Bell's Winter White - best micro brewery in the States.

Sam Smith's organic Lager - sounds latte-liberal/whole foods, but it is a *really* tasty beer. Even better than Stiegl lager.

I love North Country! -I went to college in Slippery Rock. If the brewery was there when I was a student' date=' it probably would have taken me longer to graduate...haha.

[/quote']

Cool! Yeah, the Firehouse is probably my second favorite, or tied with McCafferty's for second... Ever tried the "Bucksnort" stout? Very slight coffee overtones, "Guaranteed to straighten your antlers and warm your doe." #-o

Many times. They do good stuff. I like the beer better than the food. It gets very crowded during tourist season' date=' but we get there in winter quite often. [/quote']

Yeah I was there back in 07, when I came home to visit my folks. I drank just about one of each, but the stout stood out the most. I can't tell you what I had to eat, but I did aslo walk outta there kinda tanked!

Archived