Gibson Brands Forums

R. I. P.

bluzhammer

I am posting this as a final tribute to my father. He was a good father, provider and mentor. Pops served two tours in the Vietnam War, worked for G.M. ( 32 years ) , and was retired for five years. In my intemperate youth, I thought he was callous and hard. Later in life I realized that he was a product of his experiences, youth stolen by the chaos and brutality of combat and a profound sadness ingrained by the taking and loss of life. He once told me that fools consider war glorious, idiots dishonor the returning soldier, and morons try to vilify the reasons they were there. As he aged, I saw the sadness of all he bore in his eyes, but I also witnessed the joy he had when surrounded by children, as I lay him to rest, I realize that he was more human and wiser than I. R.I.P. Pops we will sorely miss you.

He sounds worthy of respect. Hang on to the memories of joy. Many men are scarred and hardened by life, but not all have the capacity to love still, or to enjoy the life of children. It sounds to me like that was his real triumph.

And my thanks to him for serving us.

Damn, brother. My condolences to you and your family. Lost my father in 2002 to a sudden heart attack. The kicker was that he was on the treat mill at the gym when it happened. Grieving is the hardest part. After my father's death I was lost in the wilderness for a good three months. My best advice is to give yourself time to grieve and let it out. Holding it just makes it worse.

My father also served in 'Nam as an engineer building bridges and what not. Not sure how much combat he saw and he *never* talked about it. My guess is an experience like that changes a person in ways I cannot imagine. My hope is that we don't repeat the same ills on this new generation of returning vets.

Understanding our parents is not something which comes either easily or fast in life. And sometimes, when their experiences are so far out of our world, it takes even more to accomplish.

The words your father said about the war, are amongst the wisest I have ever read about it. He put the truth of war in 2 lines. (less wise words have been quoted by others...).

My deepest condolensces for his passing. I wish that the fact that you finally came in terms with his life & personality may bring more easily the peace in your heart now.

I agree that your father's words on war are among the wisest I've seen.

The Vietnam era vet came home to a cultural and political stew that, IMHO, made their futures far more difficult than their own fathers who returned from WWII. Those of us who didn't go - I tried, was twice turned down - in older age feel a degree of guilt, too, I think, that they didn't go. I've seen some of that among even among those who were protesting the war in Vietnam or were among the Chicago anti-war demonstrators during the Demo convention.

Each generation has challenges; each grows past those challenges in one way or another, but each also is affected by them as long as they might live.

One's parents, one learns, are just human. They have different experiences. We know they are human, but until we add some age ourselves, the gap of age and experience makes that a difficult recognition. Until too often it is too late.

Be well, Bluz... and remember your father as nobody else can.

m

I don't usually spend too much time on these types of posts, because I have enough tragedy in my own life to concern myself with others.' But I was very touched by yours and wish you heartfelt condolences. I lost my dad last May. He was 87 and a WWII vet. He had high expectations not only for his kids, but of everyone, and it was a disciplined upbringing. I didn't realize until his funeral how many loved and respected him. His passing was tough, and I still miss him.

My condolences to you and yours. My Dad passed this last Oct. 30 at 83, served in the Navy in WW2 and Korea, saw action in WW2, just pretty much sat offshore in Korea. If it had any effect on him, he never showed it. My hats always off to all Veterans, I can't imagine what a lot of those guys have seen, or had to do, and for that, they have my respect.

Archived