Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG and a ??????????

Barbour

OK, here's my big, really need your help issue: The SG's on its way and I have no usable AMP to mess with. I'll be in a room about 12X20' and believe a small tube amp is the deal, about 4-15watt. If you can agree on that, what's your brand, model, source and reason? If your of a different opinion, taste etc., what's that and why the choice?

My taste in music ranges all over the board, typically 50's to 70's rock, but almost any-thing goes EXCEPT>JAZZ, especially poorly played Jazz, but I really am NOT a jazz fan. Blues, Rockabilly, Rock, a little old style country by times, that sorta thaang!

Really need some guidance here if ya can.

Fender Champ or Super ChampXD! Fender Blues Jr. is a great (15) watt amp, but sounds best "cranked,"

and I don't think you're going to want to do that, in that size room? Check out the "Blackheart" combo

or head/speaker cabinet small "stacks"...(1 watt, 5 watt, and 15 watt) versions. "Orange" "Tiny Terror"

combo, is 15 watts, as well. Also, check out the Roland "Cube" series amps. Solid State, but Very Toneful,

and reasonable, in price, as well.

Good Hunting!

CB

i would go for marshall, maybe a valvestate or something. i have an sg special and a fender blues jr amp. the amp is more suited to my telecaster. sg's sound better in my opinion through marshalls

The cool thing is, amps that I've been shopping and liking are getting mentioned along with a few I've not heard of. Test driving w'out your own left handed SG is near impossible, even with it I'd like some-where to start. Don't get hung-up on me mentioning Rockabilly and country, I didn't buy a Telecaster, did I? LMAO I just don't favor Heavy Metal that much. Budget is minimal, I am trying to stay with a few hundred bucks, but that's where my guitar shopping started as well. With an amp, I am hoping to buy used tho.

Listen Guys, THANKS LOADS Man! Appreciate all the opinions and choices. Bring it on!

OH, what's your opinion on a VOX AC4 TV to start with?

OK' date=' here's my big, really need your help issue: The SG's on its way and I have no usable AMP to mess with. I'll be in a room about 12X20' and believe a small tube amp is the deal, about 4-15watt. If you can agree on that, what's your brand, model, source and reason? If your of a different opinion, taste etc., what's that and why the choice?

My taste in music ranges all over the board, typically 50's to 70's rock, but almost any-thing goes EXCEPT>JAZZ, especially poorly played Jazz, but I really am NOT a jazz fan. Blues, Rockabilly, Rock, a little old style country by times, that sorta thaang!

Really need some guidance here if ya can. [/quote']

Playing by yourself or with others in that 12x20 room?

If by yourself, 5w or less will be fine. I own an old Fender Champ that's a really sweet little amp that's just a hair too loud for apartment living when it comes to blasting.

If with other musicians, I'd be looking closer to 15w to compete with the drummer. Fender Blues Jr is popular and abundant, even on the used market. I own one (with a few modifications) and it's a cool amp.

I wuld go with the Vox AC4TV, make sure you get the version with the 10" speaker as there is a model with the 8". This amp has a built in atteuator has has settings for 1/4 watt, 1 watt and 4 watts. This makes

Marshall Class 5 is nice but pricier.

Fender Champ 600, a 6" speaker will leave wanting more right away.

The Blackheart 5 watter is nice.

Bugera is made by Behringer, no thanks.

Thanks all, this helps alot with the confusion 4 sure. Gives me a few more ideas and amps to compare with the VOX AC4 TV and a couple of Fenders. Gotta have a gander/listen to one of these Epiphone Galaxy 10's, haven't seen one yet.

Ah, just checked the reviews on the Epi Galaxy 10 and they all said it was great "after" they replaced all the original components!! [blink]

I'm also on the hunt for a new tube amp, Narrowed it down to either the AC4TV or Marshall class 5. My suggestion is if you go with the Vox, get the half stack instead of the combo, as it has a 12 inch speaker instead of a 10, and it's not alot more expensive. Not trying to threadjack, but which would be better, the Vox or Class 5 Marshall?

I think it all depends on what your plans are, the sound you're looking for and how much you can afford.

I have an old, (I think it was made in 1966) Fender tube "Champ Amp". It still works OK, But I just picked up a new Fender Frontman 212R for $229.00. I know it's a solid state amp, but it sounds good.

Archived