Gibson Brands Forums

Relic Guitars

tepidy

I Love Gibson guirars - think they are without a doubt the best guitars on earth although I have to say that the excessive fee they charge for Tom Murphy aging is a waste. The guy does great work but is it worth the thousands of dollars that they charge. I dont think so - not even close. What do you guys think?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure. Buy a brand new guitar and pay a couple extra thousand dollars to have some guy beat it up for you. Can you imagine going to your local Ford dealer and asking them to scratch and dent up that beautiful new Mustang convertible and offer them a few $$ to do it? Nutz I say. [blink]

No offense but this thread is dumb and you'll only get one sided responses at this forum.

Is the additional cost from a Studio to a Standard worth it just for binding?

Is the added cost from a Standard to a Custom worth it just for fancier binding and a diamond on the headstock?

Is the extra $2,000 for a Gibson R9 worth it over an R8 just for a flamed maple top?

Is the added $2,000 over the price of an R9 worth it for a signature LP?

The answer to all these questions is no but as you can see, people buy them and don't think twice about it.

Murphy aged LPs are no different and every Gibson guitar is "a waste" if you think about it.

If you don't like the & feel look of a Murphy, then you also wouldn't like the look & feel of an older, well used instrument. Who cares how that look got there, they both look the same.

I can't stand the way they look.

Take a perfectly good guitar and make it look old and beat up. No way. Not for me. Not ever.

I'll buy it new and wear it out myself through years of playing.

I don't understand the fascination with it. Spend $2,500.00 for a guitar that looks like it's been beat to ****.

No thanks.

I don't really like the Relic thing, but I won't say I'd "never" buy one. If I was looking for a guitar and found a relic I really like the feel and sound of, and it was a really good price, I just might buy it in spite of the fact that it's a Relic.

Probably not though [crying]

I don't understand why people have to start these threads. You don't get it, you don't get it...that's great but nobody cares. Personally, I think black ES-175s and green Telecasters are absolutely disgusting but you don't see me starting hate threads about those, do you?

I'll buy it new and wear it out myself through years of playing.

These statements are the best because they're so hypocritical. You either like the way a beat up guitar looks or you don't. The way the guitar got that way is an entirely different matter.

Just making a point.

Personally' date=' I think black ES-175s and green Telecasters are absolutely disgusting but you don't see me starting hate threads about those, do you?

[/quote']

Too much coffee?

I don't understand why people have to start these threads. You don't get it' date=' you don't get it...that's great but nobody cares.

.[/quote']

maybe YOU dont care,, but there ARE some who do,, if YOU dont care then you dont need to read OR comment on the post [crying]

there OBVIOUSLY IS a market for this, if it doesnt appeal to you then so be it,,, different strokes for different folks, thats what keeps the world going around

I just cut back' date=' actually. Maybe that's why I'm cranky. [biggrin']

Oh yea...

I haven't had a beer ( or ANY alcohol) in over 11 weeks, so don't piss ME off.........

[crying]

I still Drink Coffee and I had a Bluemoon last night, so I guess that makes me level headed #-o

Anyway, I try very hard to keep my stuff Shiny and New looking. I bought cases for my guitars just so they would get "Reliced". My pick doesn't hit the guitar very hard so my Pick Scratches are minimal. It took an Earthquake to knock a hole in my '88 fenders finish, and I still wish I could kick that Earthquakes ***.

No, relicing is bad. They don't look at all like a really worn in guitar, they look like a new guitar with the finish scraped off, and that looks like Hell. So does a "Distressed" leather Jacket. when my jacket gets to looking like I left in on the garage floor, it's time for a new one.

I don't understand why people have to start these threads. You don't get it' date=' you don't get it...that's great but nobody cares. Personally, I think black ES-175s and green Telecasters are absolutely disgusting but you don't see me starting hate threads about those, do you?

These statements are the best because they're so hypocritical. You either like the way a beat up guitar looks or you don't. The way the guitar got that way is an entirely different matter.

Just making a point.[/quote']

What crawled up your *** today?

Little testy don't you think?

Why all the hatred Are Nine?

Who cares how that look got there' date=' they both look the same.[/quote']

You missed the point. It's not the bumps and dents. It's paying some guy thousands to do it.

No offense but that comment is dumb [biggrin]

Archived