Gibson Brands Forums

Which plectrum?

LarryUK

Don't want to be "that guy", but I'm pretty sure we've had this thread at least half a dozen times.

On topic, though, I'd say that Dunlop Gator Grip .96 are my faves. They're perfect in every way except being easily worn down, it takes like 3-4 rehearsals to make the pointy end of it completely flat.

151444.jpg

Just fell in love with V-Picks. They are expensive at about $3 a piece, but the rounded large pick allows you to have a firm attack with a mellow tone. The leading edge is so smooth, that you can easily strum with them. They also kind of stick to your finger to help you not lose grip. The pointed medium allows you to be even more precise with your picking, but has a slightly sharper attack tone.

I also recently came across Quomodo Glass Picks. They are standard size 2mm picks made out of a special glass. They allow for a very controlled attack, but the surface is not smooth, but slightly rough. This allows for a better grip and affects the tone by adding an attack "zing" These are hard to find and the webmaster doesn't seem to be answering e-mail requests.

595764.jpg

Fender 351 Mediums in whatever color strikes my mood. I don't like too much grip' date=' gotta be able to Palm it when switching to Fingerstyle.[/quote']

I've used Fender Thins for 40 years. Buy em by the gross! [cool]

I use ones that have little pictures of alien eyes on them and stuff about Roswell. I can't find them in many shops, but I really like them. I have no idea who makes them.
I've got a handful of those in my pick collection. On one side they say "Area 51, Warning, Keep out" and I think the clear ones glow in the dark.

I posted the something similar in the acoustic forums, I too have been experimenting with V picks, I thought they were somewhat pricey, but the prices some of these guys are using is ALOT more, some are $20.00 and some are $40.00 EACH,, of course they say they dont wear out,, acoustic guitars are a different animal and picks make a HUGE difference, from materials used to thickness'

Picks (Acoustic forum )

595764.jpg

Fender 351 Mediums in whatever color strikes my mood. I don't like too much grip' date=' gotta be able to Palm it when switching to Fingerstyle.[/quote']

351's here too, only I color code them - red for thins (mostly the acoustics), green for mediums (the Fenders, Ric and the LP), blue for heavies (usually just the SG, but sometimes the LP).

Dobro thumb, National finger for the 12 or a banjo. <grin>

I've also got a batch of 30-year-old Fenders. I grab one about twice a year when I use the 12.

Otherwise bare fingers.

m

To be honest I would not go to a music store to buy pics, I use Steve Clayton.

The great thing about Steves company is they ask the material you want, gauge and has a cool designer so you can add your own graphic. Now as you are in the UK a music store will charge .70p each right?

I got 100 at $35, at the time that was about £16 saving me a fortune. Also if you scrape strings a lot 95% of pics will "Groove". The acetal material he uses just frays a little.

pic-1.gif

http://www.steveclayton.com/

For the last 25 years or so I've been using this.

Reversedetaillo-res_MG_8175Large-1.jpg

It's a late-Victorian silver 3d coin and is 16mm ( 5/8" ) in diameter.

It gives a beautiful 'ching' sound when playing softly and is unbeatable for coaxing out 'pigsqueals'.

Obviously it's not very flexible!

This one is from 1900 (before this one I used one from 1889). I prefer these ones because they have a very high percentage of silver in them. The ones dating from the early 1910's and on had less silver and are much harder wearing. This is important (to me, anyway!) because with play the edge gets worn smooth on the earlier ones. The later ones keep a 'square edge' profile and are less comfortable to use.

Archived