Gibson Brands Forums

Dunlops or Schallers....?

Geetar_Axl

When I first got my LP I had read to always put straplocks on it. Knowing nothing, I bought the first ones I saw, Dunlops. The screws were a little longer than the holes if I remember correctly, but I just muscled them all the way in. Also, I remember having some trouble getting the button end through my big leather strap, but in the end I made it work and have not had one problem since. I dodn't know how Schalers work, but the Dunlops have a push button release and I find it very reliable and easy to put on/take off.

Schallers exclusively. I have used them for over 20 years with no issues. I like the pull type release and the fact that the catch is cup-shaped. I bought a set when I bought my Les Paul and they work GREAT.

Schallers have a pull release. The Dunlops have a central push button. I have Schallers on all my guitars. Right or wrong, I figured I could accidentally push in a button but I could never accidentally pull out a knob.

Don't EVER force the strap screw into your guitar body. Dry wood and hard nitro finish with over sized or a too long screw equals potential finish cracks. Try using the original screws in the new strap locks. If they don't work (casued by the head being too big) then take the time to drill for the new screws. The package gives you the correct pilot hole size to drill.

I have Schallers on everything I own.

The screw on the butt end is too big in diameter to fit inside the pin.

You have to drill out the Schaller pin for it to go thru. Doesn't need much.

Then the screw head is too big in diameter, won't drop all the way in.

Grind it down slightly.

Now the screw fits deeper into the body, it can get a little tough to turn at the bottom.

To shim it up, I use Danco faucet washers made of buna rubber, size 00.

When you remove your SCHALLER strap pins for some reason, you can reinstall the originals with the right screws.

Schallers for guitars that have the pin on top (LPs and Strats)...Dunlops for guitars with knobs on the back (SG, Explorer).

Have had no problems with either one. Schallers actually SEEM flimsier to me, and if the chance they come loose the "U" can get turned upside down. I wouldn't trust Schallers for going nuts with a guitar, such as spinning it. Also the angle of the Dunlops hang on top pins seems awkward to me and seems to create alot of stress on the screw. Have not had that problem with the Schallers. Also, the knob on Schallers is really awkward on back pins. The button on Dunlops is recessed so I know it won't get pushed on said guitars.

Both quality products, I just think they are suited for different guitars. But that's just ME.

Mr. V, How long did it take to come up with that one!

I wouldn't alter the screws. If you grind too much, you are weakening the whole connection. Bore the correct size hole and use the supplied screw if there is any issue at all. If you every need to return to smallers screws, a few tooth picks inserted with a little Elmers will fill the hole back up very nicely.

Damn Bob, now I'm bored too!

I have Schallers on everything I own.

The screw on the butt end is too big in diameter to fit inside the pin.

You have to drill out the Schaller pin for it to go thru. Doesn't need much.

Then the screw head is too big in diameter' date=' won't drop all the way in.

Grind it down slightly.

Now the screw fits deeper into the body, it can get a little tough to turn at the bottom.

To shim it up, I use Danco faucet washers made of buna rubber, size 00.

When you remove your SCHALLER strap pins for some reason, you can reinstall the originals with the right screws.[/quote']

What do you mean but end? The end of the screw? And whats "Drill Out"?

Butt end = Where strap pin is located on bottom end of the guitar on the stand, back end when you're playing, or opposite of the OTHER strap pin on the horn of the body, under your right elbow....

Drill out? = Drill the hole larger thru the center of the Schaller pin so the screw will pass thru it.

Grinding the head of the screw down is no big deal, takes only a few thousandths off.

Can't even see it if you reinstall the original strap pins.

Gibsons are the only ones that require such efforts usually, especially LP's because of that one screw being larger.

I've installed Schallers on over thirty guitars, each one was flawlessly done and I was able to put the originals back on every guitar I sold with no evidence of any mod ever being done.

Never came loose, never damaged a thread in the body, never worried about them.

Mr. V' date=' How long did it take to come up with that one!

I wouldn't alter the screws. If you grind too much, you are weakening the whole connection. Bore the correct size hole and use the supplied screw if there is any issue at all. If you every need to return to smallers screws, a few tooth picks inserted with a little Elmers will fill the hole back up very nicely.

Damn Bob, now I'm bored too!

[/quote']

Actually I was just taking a few pictures of what NeoConMan describes, so it didn't take too long. But DaveC, maybe I misunderstand you but you don't "return to smaller screws" - the original screw is larger than the "supplied" screw with the straplocks so you can't "bore" a bigger hole to make it smaller (make up your own jokes there, depending on how long you've been married...).

BobV, It might be on my Fenders that I had to make larger holes. I've lost track. I know the head was too big on one of them to fit down into the piece that attaches to the guitar. I couldn't slide the latch over it. Between my son's and my collections, I've installed about 10 of these in the last 2 years. Every sell or trade I switched them back off because the local store said Schellar was having manf issues and they couldn't get any in stock. I was thinking I was going to have to switch them all out. It looks like what ever the issue was, they got it resolved.

Schaller or Dunlop...It makes no nevermind. Both are of good quality.

Archived