Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Dusk Tiger...Yea or nay?

bonzoboy

I was on the Gibson Forum yesterday and there was a topic headline Dusk Tiger...Rubbish?I put my .02 in saying it looked gaudy with more chrome than a 59 Caddy and I didn't see the point in a guitar that tuned itself and was filled with superfluous features.I went on to say that I was not a Gibson hater(others who posted negative remarks were branded as such)and rather than spend $4000 on a Dusk Tiger I'd much rather buy a 59 Les Paul Reissue and have the satisfaction of creating my own tones with my own hands.Well one bloke came down on me pretty hard and said he knew a lot of people who played Dark Fires and if I didn't like them I didn't have to buy them.He also said I shouldn't write into the forum.I found his response amusing as I never once mentioned the Dark Fire.So fellow forumites what's everyones opinion on the Dusk Tiger?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just watched one of the videos at Gibson.com, and I think it's a fairly cool product:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Dusk-Tiger/Video.aspx

I'm not crazy about the appearance of the thing, but the features are great, and it has a wide array of tonal possibilities. So for the gigging musician, it means less instruments to get set up, drag around and keep in tune, strings to buy, etc. Sort of like PC/network technology replacing adding machines, typewriters, and faxes.

Gibson needs to keep new product offerings and technologies in their lineup, and this seems like the next logical step. If I had $4k of completely discretionary funds, I might be tempted to buy one.

The only problem with tech purchases is they become outdated quickly. In 20 years, the Robot, Dark Fire and Dusk Tiger may look like the TRS-80, Commodore 64, and 286 of guitars.

Perhaps the next step is to have all band instruments plug in via Ethernet, and be mixed on the network? Hard to figure where they're going with this technology, but I do remember the days when analog mixing boards ruled, and you had to be a major star to have 24 channels in your basement studio...

I like the finish (the wood.....could do without all the chrome or whatever it is....) The features might be of interest, as brianh posted. Moot point, as am on a beer budget here, and all:-" A "regular" LP with that top/finish would be sweet.....even an Epi branded one :-

I like the looks quite a bit, other than the fretboard inlays... I'd prefer some mini-blocks.

I'm not terribly well-versed on the features, but what I've seen look good. For a studio musician, having one guitar that feels right in your hands is great - especially if it lets you sound like any guitar we've ever known.

I think it is retarded, just like all the 'robot' guitars! In 100 years of Guitar, is this really the next step? Is it needed? Seems like a gimmick to me, and I won't be paying for it. If it is ever widespread on all guitars, then I will be one of the guys who only plays 'old' guitars....

I totally reject the gimmick. the wood is kind of nice.

I do like progress, like amp modeling in some cases, and even 'guitar modeling' like the Line6 Variax idea. It won't ever replace the real thing, but it is a neat option for someone who won't get the chance to own one of everything!

Jeff

Guest icantbuyafender
DAMMIT! SOMEBODY HACKED MY GUITAR!#-o

Those robot tuners freak me out and the whole plugging a guitar into a wall socket to charge is really lame to me.

The software looks like you have to be a programmer to use it.

The whole "tone bank" thing takes the fun out of tweaking your EQs and knobs.

Call me a purist, but I like my tones that I get from a Les paul straight into my blackheart tube amps cranked up, or calmed down.

If i never see one of those dark fires and dusk tigers again, itd be too soon.

My verdict-- NAY I SAY! NAY!

Buy an epi and mod it to your own specs and use the left over cash to get a blackheart, blackstar, marshall haze, harley benson, or egnator amp...

and still youd have cash left...

...to buy a keg and invite your band over to jam 'till the keg floats!

and, well... That tiger thing is HIDEOUS. Reminds me of that orange guitar that looked like the pickguard was shaped like bell bottoms with orange pup covers too.

i can't discount it, at least not completely. there are some things about it that are quite cool. i love the piezo blender and preset "chameleon" knob. you can have so much fun with that as it seems so versatile. aesthetically - IDK. the silver face plate is a bit much though i really like the wood and the pickups. i'm not sold on the robot aspect. the guitar actually did sound slightly out of tune at times during the demo. that bugs me as i'm quite anal about tuning. also, dark fire hasnt been out that long - was it really time for an update? i like the look of dark fire better although, like i say, the wood grain/tiger stripe w/o the tacky plate would be cool.

I like the design of it, I'm a big fan of chrome/polished inlays in atypical places. Not to mention I would pay big bucks for the finish on the back of that guitar on the front of an LP:

ce95da80-e222-4aa9-8081-b3f6838cfbb9.jpg

And you can't blame Gibson for trying. People criticize them for using a 50-year-old design, then criticize them worse when they try to modernize it.

That said, I think Gibson's Digital guitars were more of a step in the right direction; making the output digital rather than the input, as it were. I think most guitarists will agree that all the string changing and tuning and fiddling is just part of playing guitar, not something that necessarily has to be removed for progress.

I don't really mind the look and I've always liked the idea of a self tuning guitar ... especially in a gigging situation. The one's I've tried (both the first gen Robot and the Dark Fire) were incredibly accurate and fast ... especially the Dark Fire.

I can't say much about the "modeling" aspect of the guitar. With the need for a computer and software, it seems to be more of a "studio" kind of thing rather than something you could use practically on stage ... but that could just be my lack of understanding of the process.

I will say that old Les himself preferred the low impediance pickup, and played a souped up version of the '70's "Les Paul Recording" right up until his death.

Innovation is a good thing, guys! Let's not be "Luddites" here! Guitars that we now consider to be "classics" were one regarded as a "slap in the face" to traditional guitarists when they were introduced! Unfortunately, "early adopters" will always have to pay a premium price for new tech that will always improve and drop in price as acceptance grows. I can remember selling $1200 VHS recorders back in the 80's!

Jim

I've already asked myself that question.

I mean, I love Les Pauls (as I think you can see in my sig) but I am not a big fan of this one (or the Buckethead signature model).

I don't like the chrome and I certainly don't like that scratch plate.

However, I have to agree Sjael and the whole Digital tech stuff that Gibson is trying to innovate on.

I like the whole Robot thing with the tuning of your guitar quickly enough to play your next song.

I think that the Piezo idea sounds cool and seems like an interesting feature, but is it really worth $4000?

I think I'd buy a few guitars with that much money and be a whole lot happier.

But I'd rather have an Epi Les Paul 1959, an Epi Les Paul Custom Alpine White, a Gibson SG Faded, etc.

Maybe if i ever get to play one, I'll change my mind.

Oh, I forgot to mention - every one of those doctors, lawyers, accountants, and rock stars that buy a $4,000 Gibby are helping to underwrite this forum. So in that sense, I hope they sell a ton of them to keep our little back alley of "cost effective" (read cheapskate) guitar afficionados going for a long time...

If the guitar freezes up (ceases to function) does that mean you ....hear the blue note of death?

So I guess the new tech question would be "How often does your guitar crash?"

I hope Gibson doesn't farm out tech support to India!

Thank you, thank you! I'll be here all week! :)

If the guitar freezes up (ceases to function) does that mean you ....hear the blue note of death?

So I guess the new tech question would be "How often does your guitar crash?"

I hope Gibson doesn't farm out tech support to India!

Thank you' date=' thank you! I'll be here all week! :)

[/quote']

When it crashes you gotta go "Pete Townshend" on it...............................

I like the idea of the robot tuners and the ability to go to alternate tunings on the fly ...

+1.

Right. They are not for people who don't KNOW how to tune a guitar, but who want to take advantage of the ability to play live using alternate tunings.

I'm surprised they haven't introduced them on an acoustic yet, since a lot of folk-style singer-songwriters use alternate tunings, and the robot tuners would save a lot of time (and patter) between songs. However, if electric guitar players are so incensed by electric, robotic tuners (which is ironic when you think about it), you can imagine how the acoustic purists and traditionalists will react!

Red 333

+1.

Right. They are not for people who don't KNOW how to tune a guitar' date=' but who want to take advantage of the ability to play live using alternate tunings.

I'm surprised they haven't introduced them on an acoustic yet, since a lot of folk-style singer-songwriters use alternate tunings, and the robot tuners would save a lot of time (and patter) between songs. However, if electric guitar players are so incensed by electric, robotic tuners (which is ironic when you think about it), you can imagine how the acoustic purists and traditionalists will react!

Red 333[/quote']

Exactly. I'm surprised some of the acoustic players don't have a fit when they use Koa.

There was a video once that came out of Gibson of someone who had put the Robot hardware in an EJ-160E.

I like it. Maybe it's just the design, but it reminds me of the Les Paul Recording/Professional etc. models that Les Paul himself actually played. Strikes me that the experimentation in the tech and the variety of sounds on offer would be something he would have approved of at least, if not actually liked in execution. Not that I can really claim to know what he'd like, of course, but I just think it's in a similar spirit.

As has been said elsewhere, it's nice to see something forward-looking in an industry that is usually so obsessed with 40+ year old designs. It may not be the best guitar Gibson ever make, but I'd rather see that than another LP reissue.

That said, I happen to like having switches and knobs all over my guitars. I have a Strat I built from parts that is starting to look like it might actually be the controls for a spaceship.

As for robot tuners saving patter between songs at folk gigs... I think the patter is part of the charm of a good folk player!

Archived