Gibson Brands Forums

A good brand for an amp cable??

Angusthegod

Any cable from a reputable brand will do the trick, but I too hate how they tend to twist and tangle themselves up. The ones with a rubber or plastic outer tend to do this a lot, which is why I use a Fender 'Vintage Voltage' cable nowadays.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Vintage-Voltage-Instrument-Cable?sku=331564

Being covered with woven cloth, it doesn't tangle itself up so much. It will do for a while when new, but after a bit of use, it'll stay nice and loose. The ends are also very nicely shielded and fixed, and it feels liks a good quality cable. Not overly expensive, and looks great too.

I have a couple of the GFS guitar cords, they are okay. I wouldn't say they are great. Also, shipping is $7.

Not sure if you are talking guitar cord, or speaker cord from your amp head to a speaker cab, there is a difference between these and guitar cord. Or do you want a power cord for your amp?

I have heard good things about these:

http://www.5150musicsupply.com/category_s/20.htm

Power cords:

http://www.tubesandmore.com/

I've been using these Live Wire Elites with no problems: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live-Wire-1414-Speaker-Cable?sku=331177

They have a nice rugged feel to them and heavy duty plugs so hard to confuse with guitar cables.

I use these also. One of he best things about them is that they have a life-time quarantee. If they ever stop working' date=' just go get another one at guitar center. [biggrin

Rapco guitar cables are really good, as well as Planet Waves by D'Addario. Both use oxygen-free copper wire and are double-shielded.

Note: Instrument cables should NOT be used to connect speakers, as the shielding causes heat to build up and you might end up with a burnt out output transformer, cause a fire, etc. Special unshielded speaker cables are available - unfortunately, they look just like guitar cables, but maybe a bit thicker. :-k You shouldn't use these for your guitar, as the lack of shielding will pick up all of the hum and electrical interference. It's best to get the lowest gauge/thickest wire you can, as that provides the least resistance to your signal. You can even use good quality bulk copper speaker wire from a department store and solder on 1/4 inch jacks.

Disclaimer: The above is from the "top of my head" and I will humbly stand corrected if anything I said was in error. blush]

Guest icantbuyafender

amp cable- LiveWires... $12 and they do their job damn well.

instrument cable- Monster S-100... only $20 bucks and if you manage to break it or get it to stop working, they will swap it out for you. Lifetime guaranteed. How awesome is that?

I really want to try the studio pro GFS cables.... anyone tried these higher end ones yet? or just the basic? are they really noiseless?

I've used Road Hog "guitar"cables for years with no problems,they cost a bit more but you don't have to replace them every few months so they're cheaper in the long run.BTW an amp cable is one that goes from the head to the cab.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I use Whirlwind. No real reason... it looked good and it was on sale.

Later I found out that it's a local company, and they're held in somewhat high regard, evidently. All I knew at the time is that it was red and black tweed to match my mic cable (I swear by cloth covered cables... so much easier to store), and it was $12 for 20 feet.

I assume all GC's carry these but at my local GC they have a rack of nice looking, heavy, no name cables. Lifetime guarantee and less than $20.

It dies, you take it in, they hand you a new one. Mine has no problems after a year but I'm not as hard on them as some of you (never leaves the house)

Maybe Jim can fill in the details.........................

I dunno .... I have a Monstercable, a Livewire (I think), som,e other no-name, and the uber cheap cord that came with my guitar ...... I used to use coiled cords back in the day ('60's/'70's) ..... seems any modern cable is better than those ..... they's last a short time and then crackle when the coiling stretched to any degree. But I ain't giggng, either (unless church counts:-" ) I figure buy a few with lifetime warranties (more than you actually need) and if one dies, you have a backup until you swap out the bad one for a new one at GC or wherever. Sounds like a plan to me

I really like the Monster cables. I have several Performer 500's and we got my son a bass cable last Christmas. The lifetime warranty stuff is in fact honored by the company but don't count on much help from Guitar Center. (big surprise)

They wear well, stay flexible, sound good, and have a lifetime warranty...you'll pay a bit more but it's kinda like getting a Snap-On tool... problem arises, it's not a problem.... break it, mail it, woo-hoo...

Wedgie

I won't buy Monster Cable products because of their aggressive legal team. Don't even consider starting a company with the word "Monster" in the name, or they'll be after you for trademark infringement.

Even if you're a mini-golf course that couldn't possibly be confused with a company that makes cables.

any cable will coil eventually. it develops what they call 'memory'. in order to avoid it' date=' one must learn the 'roadie wrap'. it changed my life. it will change yours as well.

observe....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqbYyaUY5Sk [/quote']

+1...although, I didnt realize the roadie wrap was an over/under deal. I thought it was over/over. I'll have to try this.

Over/Under. It was how I learned it back in 1980 when I started in the biz. Though I did meet a couple of roadies who did it a bit differently with the same results. It is how I teach the kids (my son and his friends who jam here) how to wrap them (so they get the cords off the floor!). And how I wrap the garden hoses.

Back to the original post, you may wish to make your own. Easy enough to do and you you get to select the components to your liking, and by getting enough parts, you can create different lengths at a fair cost.

Sheila

Archived