Gibson Brands Forums

Rings.......

Svet

This question is aimed more at the married folks or jewelry loving members of this forum. What do you guys do with your wedding bands while playing? I feel that mine gets in the way on my fretting hand so I take it off and place it on my picking hand. Is this a problem for you and if so how do you handle it?

When I used to wear rings, I would just switch it from the left hand to the right. It always snagged on the strings.

No rings for me these days. Between the 10+ hours in the shop at work, the hours of guitar playing and being a left-handed artist, I convinced my wife that we didnt need to spend money on a wedding ring for me.

Told my wife the ring was inconveniant and I prefer not to carry it.

Sorry. To be correct.... told my EX-wife the ring was inconveniant and I prefer not to carry it. Well, it solved the problem, don't need to wear it any more, so it all worked out fine.

I never liked to wear any jewelry, so when we got married, I told my wife the ring was interfering with my drawing. In those days, we did our architectural drawings on a board. Well she bought my story and I haven't worn a ring in 28 years.

It really did bother me to be thruthful.

Angus is developing a real "old lady" look lately!

Seriously ... picture him in a pink jogging suit wearing a pair of oversized sunglasses and tell me I'm wrong!

As for rings ... one on the ring finger of each hand ... no problems with leaving them on.

Jim

I don't have a diamond encrusted behemoth of a ring so it's barely noticable. We got our rings at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts gift store when we were young and poor, and still living in a rent-controlled apartment in Brookline, MA in the 80's. We also got married in the Boston Public Garden by a female non-denominational JOP, and my wife wore a white mini skirt (just to show you how formal it all was). My wife's parents were so horrified that we weren't getting hitched in a (Catholic) church, they refused to attend. May they both rest in peace.

So the ring's about as big around as a flatwound low E, and most of my low-end MIC Epi guitars are worth more. But after 20+ years hitched to the ol' gal, no real point in taking it off.

I don't have a diamond encrusted behemoth of a ring so it's barely noticable. We got our rings at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts gift store when we were young and poor' date=' and still living in a rent-controlled apartment in Brookline, MA in the 80's. We also got married in the Boston Public Garden by a female non-denominational JOP, and my wife wore a white mini skirt (just to show you how formal it all was). My wife's parents were so horrified that we weren't getting hitched in a (Catholic) church, they refused to attend. May they both rest in peace.

So the ring's about as big around as a flatwound low E, and most of my low-end MIC Epi guitars are worth more. But after 20+ years hitched to the ol' gal, no real point in taking it off.[/quote']

Wedding bands aren't too expensive, it was her engagement ring that was insane. I could've bought my dream guitar(Gibson L5) for that! Sigh

Due to getting married way too young I can no longer remove my wedding ring (had really skinny fingers). It never bothers me - the watch is a no-no, I am left handed but play right handed and wear my watch on my right wrist so I can't play with the watch on my strumming hand.

7C

Due to getting married way too young I can no longer remove my wedding ring (had really skinny fingers). It never bothers me - the watch is a no-no' date=' I am left handed but play right handed and wear my watch on my right wrist so I can't play with the watch on my strumming hand.

7C[/quote']

Yep, I wear my watch on the right wrist too. It's a problem - the pickups amplify the second hand movement....

It's so funny this is being asked because it happened to me after I first got married. The ring just felt "in the way" and I'd put it on my right hand. My wife always busted my balls about it (good naturedly at first but after I joked that I was married to music first so "From now on when I play the ring has to go!" she started to get pissy!) Well I must have gotten used to it because about 6 months after I got married I just played as normal with the ring on and it didn't bother me at all. On acoustic I do consciously watch that I don't hit the ring on the neck because it can make a loud crack/thud that is more noticeable than on electric.

Worst case scenario you tell her that the ring has to move to the right hand during your time playing or it goes into a drawer completely. Either she capitulates or the couch is your new bed...

Hey! Where did my post go? I posted here this morning![flapper]

Though I don't have a wedding band, I did wear a ring on my left hand as the ring finger on my right hand has tendon damage so I can't wear my rings there. I tried keeping it on, but it was more trouble than it was worth as the ring kept whacking the neck and spinning around so the stone (which is my son's birthstone) faced the strings. I have been playing so much that I finally put the ring away.

Sheila

Neither Leilani nor I wear wedding rings, so it isn't a problem.

But I do own a brass ring that is supposed to be able to be used as a slide. I've tried it by the strings are light, the action is low, and my slide technique is terrible. Perhaps someday I'll string another guitar with 12s, raise the action, and learn some slide (after my regular technique gets quite a bit better).

Insights and incites by Notes

I couldn't wear mine at first. After awhile of trying, it got easier, and now I don't even notice. In fact it bothers me if I'm not wearing it.

Wedding bands aren't too expensive' date=' it was her engagement ring that was insane. I could've bought my dream guitar(Gibson L5) for that! Sigh[/quote']

I know what you mean. I actually sold a guitar to help pay for my wife's engagement ring. I had a mid 90's Fender Bass VI reissue that I never played, so I thought I'd through it up on eBay. At the time I had seen some go for around $1500 (I only paid $400) so I gave it a shot. Turned out that 2 guys on eBay REALLY wanted it and it sold for $2600. [biggrin]

You know though… I don't know what I miss more, the Bass VI or the cool stuff I could have bought with $2600. :-k

Archived