Gibson Brands Forums

Which one are you?

Spiritinthesky

Sept 5th 2008, A study of more than 36,000 people from around the world concluded that musical tastes and personality type were closely related.

The research, which was carried out by Professor Adrian North of Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh in the UK suggested classical music fans were shy, while heavy metal fans were gentle and at ease with themselves.

Fans of Indie music had low self-esteem and were not hard working, fans of Rap music had high self-esteem and were outgoing. Country & Western fans were hardworking and outgoing, Reggae fans were creative but not hardworking, and fans of chart pop had high self-esteem, were not creative, but where hardworking and outgoing.

Which one are you?

From www.thisdayinmusic.com

Sept 5th 2008, A study of more than 36,000 people from around the world concluded that musical tastes and personality type were closely related.

The research, which was carried out by Professor Adrian North of Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh in the UK suggested classical music fans were shy, while heavy metal fans were gentle and at ease with themselves.

Fans of Indie music had low self-esteem and were not hard working, fans of Rap music had high self-esteem and were outgoing. Country & Western fans were hardworking and outgoing, Reggae fans were creative but not hardworking, and fans of chart pop had high self-esteem, were not creative, but where hardworking and outgoing.

Which one are you?

From www.thisdayinmusic.com

None of the above? msp_confused.gif Classic Rock isn't on the list.

Bob...

I dunno. I've heard some "bad" music too, not just stuff written for other ears. <grin> I'm still a Stones fan but y'know, some of their old live stuff was pretty far out of tune - especially on a country piece or two.

m

Bob...

I dunno. I've heard some "bad" music too, not just stuff written for other ears. <grin> I'm still a Stones fan but y'know, some of their old live stuff was pretty far out of tune - especially on a country piece or two.

m

There are a lot of songs that I simply do not like. Some for artistic reasons, some for technical reasons. But I've got some doo-wop songs with terrible intonation, that I like in spite of their defects. I'm not a fan of rap or D&B music, it usually bores me, but others seem to love it, so who am I to say? I'm not a big country music fan, but there are some country songs that I really love. My favorite kind of music is symphonic, but Bach and Mozart bore me, even though I can recognize their genius. I'm one of the few sax players who admit to not liking John Coltrane - but again - I can appreciate his genius.

So what I'm saying is, I dislike a lot of generally recognized as great music, and like some very simplistic and technically poor music. So who am I to judge other people's tastes?

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob...

Yeah, I think some dowop was almost intentionally outa key. <grin>

But Shred also makes a good point I'd expand on. Sometimes stuff is just written or performed for the performer's ears alone - and perhaps it's best left that way. I think that's mostly a matter beyond one's "general taste" in music.

I like a lotta symphonic stuff too. Don't care for a lotta Mozart although the Requiem is gorgeous and I happen to rather like Bach.

m

Milod, I think in those cases, the stuff was written for the "performers" ear and nobody else. :)

Good point.

I was listening to the radio today and clambered in half-way through a symphony that was hard to place; there were patches of Stravinsky; lyrical swathes of Dvorak etc...etc...it was (IMHO) awful. Like a pastiche of 'classical' music from the romantic era to the 'jazz'-flavoured output of Gershwin. I had to listen right to the end in order to know what NOT to buy on an impulse!

As to the OP.

I like music from Gregorian chants... Allegri and Palestrina... the "3 B's" (Bach, Beethoven, Brahms)...Abba...Zappa....The White Stripes...B.B.King...Herb Ellis...Charlie Christian...Frank Sinatra...The Carpenters...Neil Young...Nirvana...The Clash...Charlie Parker...Keith Jarrett...Fred Astaire...Black Sabbath...and on and on and on and on and...........

C'mon folk. There's great music in every genre.

No-one likes only one type of music, surely?

Archived