Gibson Brands Forums

Only Four

chasAK

I know to many of you the thought of this is going sound anathema. If you could only have four guitars (both acoustical and electric) what would they be? One of them needs to be a guitar one could take car camping or picnicking. I know some of you have like 40 guittars and this question is somewhat odious, so look at it this way, what four guitars do you use the most. Even worse yet, if you were a "one guitar man" what would it be, besides sad :(

1977 Telecaster, had it since Day One. I think it, the guitar produces it. Period.

1964 Southern Jumbo. Not my flashiest, loudest, or "best" Gibson (that would be the J200) but the SJ has been here for 26 years and it's comfy.

I er... um.... have sixteen Ovations. I think I could choose any one of those for a knockabout guitar although I don't knockabout ANY guitar. But for durability, playability, and tone, I would happily go eenie-meenie-miney-moe on any of the US made Applauses.

#4 is difficult. The previous three cover anything I want to do. The LP or Gretsch or Strat or whatever have their own roles but the Tele can do anything they can do with a flip of the switch or a twist of a knob.

Four guitars under the sun and moon on some remote island :

1 would be my D-35. It's my mother guitar, my faithful friend and servant, the backbone of everything and reason all other experiments can take place.

2 would be my new self-drawn JJ 12-fret. We're getting to know eachother and I couldn't let it down at this point in time.

3 would be my J-45 black nut Standard. It's developing every week and will be a very satifying guitar in a couple of years.

4 would be a choice between one of the 2 Sq. Sh. SJ's and the 1964 C&W I won on the Bay just 20 hours ago (wonder what it'll be like. . .) I'd need that sensitive, warm, vintage sound in the sunset hour.

Besides that I'd bring a pair of capos and a pocketful of .60 picks, a box of different strings and an iron pot so I could boil those strings once in a while to make a good acoustic soup.

(Ouuuh, , , and if you think the sleeping bag is full of pillows, you're wrong - It's an Ibanez 12-string)

The smart answer would be four late 1950s burst Lesters cuz then I could sell three and buy any guitar I ever wanted for the rest of my life.

But of those I have a history with...

1958 Tele - as John Hiatt said, sometimes ya just need a Telecaster through a Vibrolux turned up to 10. Ain't it the truth!

1956 Southerner Jumbo - after alot of years still the best acoustic I have ever played

1932 National Duolian - Depression-era U.S. steel. Every now and then ya got to do a bit of sliding to keep body and soul together.

And for my beach guitar a ca. 1960 Harmony Sovereign

I think for me thats relativelly easy.

If the camping requirement would not be there then Three Gibbys (SWD, CW, LP) and my Furch.

Withe the camping and max 4 requirement I would drop the LP (I dont care so much for electrics) and take the Cort which im starting to rebond with again.

Four guitars? I've only got two hands!

Yes, My 45-Vine would definitely be there now .. since I FINALLY got the action set right (a real struggle) & added a K&K mini.

The next would be my 00-21 clone. That's my all-around traveler.

The only other needed would have to be a custom-build from Bend, OR.

"1958 Tele - as John Hiatt said, sometimes ya just need a Telecaster through a Vibrolux turned up to 10.

1956 Southerner Jumbo - still the best acoustic I have ever played

1932 National Duolian - Depression-era U.S. steel. Every now and then ya got to do a bit of sliding [and frettin!]

1960 Harmony Sovereign - my beach guitar [Mance!]"

Workorses. Everyone one of em. Oh, and BTW "to many of you the thought of this is going sound anathema" to me--would be heaven!

I would need to have the following:

My 1993 Taylor 612C - just because it's my #1 acoustic and even though my daughter wants it bad.... she will have to come and get it!

My 1964 Gibson LG1 - because it just sounds so good for fingerstyle blues and that seems to be all I want to play right now.

My 2005 Gibson Advanced Jumbo - because it still looks so good, it would sure get a nice "Vintage" look being on that island with me and it is still my go to guitar for DADGAD, Drop D, Double Drop D and Open G tunings I do

My 1979 Gibson "The Paul" - because even though I am on an island with my acoustics, I still need to ROCK occasionally! [thumbup] (Can I also bring my 1960 Magnatone amp with?!?!)

I always take 3 guitars to gigs (and only mic them because I won't put pickups in these guitars). So, 3 are easy:

1. My 1917 Dyer Style 7 Symphony harp guitar:

2460143250033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

2. 1930 National Style 1 tricone:

2510045930033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

3. 1943 SJ (on the right here, obviously):

2118173950033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

4. Just arrived last night. My brand new, 1/3 Century gold sparkle Kim Walker "Nick Walker":

pb116080-edit_std.jpg

Thanks for your participation. Here are the top 4, the best I can figure out. Southern Jumbo takes the big lead at 8, with the Telecater coming in second with 4, the j 45 and LP both having three. I only have one. Yes, 4 would be heaven!1 Mine is a j45 mc which I am enjoying. I do miss my old ES 335 (also long gone), the j160 (1968) I should have sold to Red 333. Hope everybody had a good Thanksgiving. Looking at the long list of guitars in this post, all should agree the Lord is good.

This is really tough, but if I accept the premise that I can only have four of my own current guitars, I guess they would be:

1) Bozeman SJ-200 "True Vintage" (just too good to leave out...)

2) 1960 Gibson ES-330TD (for the early Beatles material...)

3) Martin Custom Shop D-45V with Adirondack Spruce top and wide 2-5/16" bridge string spacing (really a no-brainer...)

4) D'Angelico New Yorker (best guitar I own?... A great acoustic and a great electric guitar in one selection....)

Hey, no fair! Maybe I don't need forty guitars.... but another four (or five... or eight... or, for that matter, ten) would sure be nice.

It's like the question: If I could grant you one "super power", but you had to pick between the "ability to fly" or "X-Ray vision", which one would you choose? (Warning... don't blurt out your answer too quickly.....)

Because for a lot of people, the longer you think about a question like that, the harder it gets to make your selection, and the more questions it brings up... ("But how fast can I fly?"... "Is my X-Ray vision telescopic?"...)

Next thing you know, you're trying to "bargain" with the premise... "But what if I could just have eight guitars? Or how about at least five?" ("Five" would allow me keep one of my Stratocasters, maybe the '59.... and I really have to have that one...)

Anyway, as Gillian Girl seemed to be saying, it is an interesting and fun premise. Plus it's a wicked exercise for the mind...

So, thanks for the idea, (even if I can't sleep now...)

Jack 6849

It's like the question: If I could grant you one "super power", but you had to pick between the "ability to fly" or "X-Ray vision", which one would you choose? (Warning... don't blurt out your answer too quickly.....)

I'd choose the X-ray vision (what is telescopic). It would be too much pressure risking to be seen flying around all the time. Besides that I'm afraid of heights. At the other hand, the 'see though' ability would drive anybody nuts within a week or two. Even if it could be clicked on and off. Can I convert the choice into the next level in guitar-playing ?

Archived