Blues scales on LP or Strat= Blues

Pentatonic scales on a Tele= Country/Rock

Major/Minor or Harmonic/Melodic Minor scales on a Gibson= Jazz

Chords on a Gibson acoustic= Country

Chords on acoustic= Country/Folk

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started out wanting to play Rock(and still do) but I found that the blues let me go in the direction my soul could talk with.

I try and mix the two, but it always comes back to being able to reach deep down and find something no other type of music allows me

pull out of my soul. Jazz is great and I wish I could play it. But the blues imo, is more expressive.

It's been awhile since I've seen one of these, and we've had a lot of new members join since then... so:

I play mostly blues guitar and hard rock/metal. Van Halen, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and Ratt as well as Shine Down, Nickleback, Radiohead... all have songs in my repertoir. So do Eric Clapton and John Lee Hooker...

I have some country tunes in my catalogue, too, like Zach Brown's "Toes".

I play a lot of my own stuff, also, and try to put a lot of my style into the covers I do so as to distinguish my versions from those already out there.

So....

What do you play?

rock, metal and blues for me...

although i'm getting into the metal-core scene at the moment and have just ordered some "drop tune" ernie ball strings (for drop C) to fit on my gary moore sig...jesus them pups were made for heavy/low distortion! [thumbup]

I play mostly Classic Rock. On the heavy side. Psychedelic , the late 60's and early 70's. Mountain, Cream, Iron Butterfly, Blue Cheer, Spirit, Deep Purple, Hendrix, Zeppelin, etc. Any Beatles is fine.

Blues, Rock, Metal, and I'm frighteningly good at Country. I never practiced it much, but I can really do it. I'm really good at Improv, like Jamm Band and Pseudo-Jazz. But that scene's died off since the 90's, so that skill has atrophied a bit, but it's still there to resurrect.

Classic (First) British Invasion stuff, mostly...

Beatles, Stones, Animals, Yardbirds, Moody Blues,

and American rock, as well...Byrds, Buffalo Springfield,

(and off shoots), etc. Some "Hendrix" and Led Zep, as

well as David Bowie, and T-Rex. Love Joan Jett, and

The Runaways, too..(Smile) ;>)

CB

XDemonknight

You've mentioned stuff I was doing ... uhhhhhh ... in the early 1960s. Ever do Neil's "Blues on my ceiling?" Great piece.

Anyway I don't know what you can say I play. It's mostly solo stuff the last 30 years largely because of work scheduling. I've played in rock bands, done "old time" pre-bluegrass and some bluegrass, country bands usually trios... At one time I wanted to do a lotta flamenco.

Some of my greatest guitar fun is trying to figure fingerings for some of the swing era from, say 1939 to the early 1960s when you'd get stuff like an instrumental version of the Duprees' "You belong to me." I sometimes tease that I'm really playing piano bar stuff but I can't carry or play piano so I use a guitar.

Took two lessons, both from Christopher Parkening. Rest of the time was self taught although I taught basic folk guitar and fingerpicking in the 70s.

So... I guess you could say I just plain play stuff I like and that varies by mood and that I'm able to play solo on guitar.

I've done some electric blues stuff swapping ledes and vocals. But "blues" mostly what you'd hear kinda like 20s-30s solo fingerpicked guitar. Don't know what you call that.

Bass has mostly been for country rock, but I'm way, way outa practice. Ditto banjo and mandolin.

m

Well I've really been able to adapt through the years as I changed bands I often had to change styles. Not that I was proficient in any of them but very passable in the band context.

Started off playing 60's/70's rock in the late 70's = Beatles, Stones, ZZtop, BTO, Grand Funk,

Moved on to a RB/ Funk band early eighties = PFunk, Commodores, EWF

Top 40 in the late 80's

and back to classic rock in the early 90's

I would likewise claim classic rock and blues but of late since blues is the foundation for so much rock I have been concentrating mostly on it. Kinda good that even after 20+ years of playing I can still admit I $uck and need to get back to the basics.

Still fun though even when I can admit I $uck at it.

Of course I am my own worst critic too . . .

Fundamentally a better sax player [and probably always will be] which also inspires me to work on the guitar more.

This...

srv5.gif

and this...

Alex_Lifeson6.jpg

Actually, I like all kinds of music. I learned classical piano and then switched to jazz. For guitar, I like classic and progressive rock, the blues, and the both kinds of the "other" music entailing country and western.

Archived