Gibson Brands Forums

Under apreciated guitar brands.

Thundergod

Schector for sure, I have a Tempest Custom and its a great guitar; has a Black Beauty Tux effects and great sounding pups, and got it on sale for 300.00 at AMS. Its originally around 700.00 but for what ever reason it was a huge discount and not a B-Stock or return. I love the damn thing.

Those older Schecters (strat and tele copies) were f-ing amazing! I don't own one but I used to work in a store that carried em. Before the import diamond, omens or whatever they are called. I couldn't afford the $1300+ price tag back then but I would love to get my hands on one now. In particular the Tele style, see thru white finish on what i believe was an ash body, ebony fret board, tortoise shell pg, gold hardware, Sperzel locking tuners, bird's eye maple neck.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... Between the likes of Godin, Takamine, Carvin & Gretsch, I was starting to wonder if you guys were being serious. I mean, I've always though those to be fairly highly appreciated guitars.

I agree, but hardly ever mentioned on this web site. Who here has ever played a Godin?

BTW, +1 on D'Angelico. Collings makes a nice guitar, also.

As for amps, Kustom really doesn't get a lotta recognition around here or in places in general.

I know Twiz has one. I was thinking of getting one of their recent models. Beyond that, I don't think I've seen them mentioned very often. They did put out some good stuff, though.

Kustom Coupes are pretty sweet. That being said, Sunn is a great amp. I have one and love it

Yeah, Yamaha makes some good guitars if you avoid the BOTB stuff. Peavey also makes some good guitars and basses. Even Peavey starter basses are very worth while. The Peavey Foundation basses were excellent, and the Cirrus basses look good too. Havent had a chance to play one yet, though. And the Peavey Generation EX guitar gives me serious GAS.

RE: Kustom amps.

I think I may almost have given a Kustom customer service guy a heart attack when i called simply to say I could not be a much happier customer.

Around 6 years ago I decided I needed something other than the monster to haul around - in ways, a replacement for the Fender Deluxe Reverb I had in the 60s and a year or two into the 70s when I swapped it for the monster.

My criteria included separate channels for a mike and guitar, decent power for a jazzie-folkie-country solo gig in a small saloon or whatever. I got a 30-watt Kustom acoustic-electric that fit the bill perfectly. I think they use different 10-inch speakers nowadays, and frankly I've added a small PA outfit to boost things a bit, but the bottom line is that it will do a jazz guitar-only solo gig in a 500-seat theater quite nicely even without a PA.

In ways I think I'd prefer the DR but - at less than 20 percent of the cost, the Kustom does quite well, thank you.

m

I agree, but hardly ever mentioned on this web site. Who here has ever played a Godin?

BTW, +1 on D'Angelico. Collings makes a nice guitar, also.

Godin for sure

I play Godin guitars all the time own 6 or 7 they are great guitars, even use a Godin fifth Ave arch top as my beater to haul around. I also have a Bass and a mandolin that are all great.

Fifth Ave.

godin5thavecognaccopy.jpg

XTSA

637849.jpg

Multiac Jazz

GodinMultiacJazzcopy.jpg

A8 Mandolin

GodinA8Mandolin-1copy.jpg

A4 Bass

cf_3JPGcopy.jpg

Glissintar 11 string fretless

GLIS_body-front.jpg

Nylon ACSA

568639.jpg

I'm gonna go with a lot of you here, and say BOSS is super underrated.

3/5 th's of my board is BOSS.

they're little tanks, and wicked reliable.

msp_thumbup.gif

Besides all that boutique Crap is WAY over priced.dry.gif

+1. I love Boss pedals. I've had and have a few "boutique" pedals, but I always go back to the good ol' Blues Driver!!

A brand I like is Eastwood. Cool retro style, but much more playable than the old models they're based on, and one gets exceptional quality for a very low price.

http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/

And BTW: How can someone NOT like Martin? ](*,)

That's basically the sound of acoustic music for the last hundred years or so...

#-o

To a lot of players it has to be a 'name' guitar. I read on hear about an Epiphone not sounding as good as a Gibson. Just a few 'tweaks' on the amp would sort that. I read about p'ups being different. A few more 'tweaks' on the amp would sort that as well. The neck is the most important thing on the guitar. after that it's all vanity.

To a lot of players it has to be a 'name' guitar. I read on hear about an Epiphone not sounding as good as a Gibson. Just a few 'tweaks' on the amp would sort that. I read about p'ups being different. A few more 'tweaks' on the amp would sort that as well. The neck is the most important thing on the guitar. after that it's all vanity.

I agree, I have owned 3 Gibson Les Paul std, one CUSTOM, and ... one Epiphone ELITE series (made in Japan) Les Paul std with BareKnuckle pickups, and believe me or not I really regret that I have sold it, none of the Gibson sounds as well as that Epiphone.

I don't know if they're under appreciated, but I don't see a lot of them... Hamer guitars. I think they have some pretty cool designs. Another brand that I've been digging lately are Reverend guitars. -Specifically this guitar. [cool] Yowza. They're affordable too.

I have to speak up against Boss. While most of their pedals are built like tanks (sans the guts of the DD3), I find their sound generic and unless you need a buffer pedal in your chain they are a tone suck. Two and a half years ago when my OD808 was in the shop for a new switch I had to use my old Blues Driver. No matter how much I tweaked that tone knob I could not get anything but wet blanket or ouchy sounds out of it.

But, hey, to each his own.

Archived