Gibson Brands Forums

Moving out on your own - what did you learn?

NeoConMan

I leaned:

"HOW much?!!!" (related to all kinds of things/situations)

"I can't afford that!" (Ditto)

"Getting everthing you want, isn't always (in hindsight) a good thing!"

"Keep It Simple Stupid," is getting better and better.

"Staying Healthy, is much nicer, than being drunk, or stoned," constantly.

It was amazing, how FAST I learned (most) of those things, among other's, too. ;>)

CB

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You sure you live in Toronto? Growing up just over the river from Southeast Ont., those cats put ketchup on everything. Hell, you can buy ketchup flavored potato chips in Canada.

Haha yes i am sure. I know people who like Ketchup with their KD....but not me.

And ketchup chips...its just like fries and ketchup....its potatos! What up?!

Besides all of the insightful lessons learned and talked about on this thread, and there are many, I remember disctinctly something that happened the very first day I moved into a house with my best friend and bass player, Eddy, in 1978 in Little Rock. He put a new record on the turntable (which was portable and the only furinture in the living room), and the first notes of "My Best Friend's Girl" came out (he said you have to hear the second song first). We both looked at each other and screamed because it meant one thing - the beginning of the end of disco. We could start playing rock again, new rock. Lesson - Social fads and musical taste don't last forever, even if it seemed like it at the time.

Sounds like some people lived very sheltered lives; not unlike a lot of the guys that lived in my dorm. I went to a suitcase university (large majority of students were from the area and could have easily commuted every to campus). More than one guy would get picked up every Friday afternoon by his parents and dropped off late Sunday with a basket full of freshly done and folded by mom laundry plus whatever baked goods she had made for them. So wholesome and tethered it would make you gag. Probably never had a job beyond mowing the neighbors lawn for $10.

We had a few of those on my floor in the dorms, their moms sent some pretty nice goodies with them though. One of the Vietnamese kids would bring fresh home made egg rolls, they were amazing. I had a job from the age of 11 (farming), all the way through college so I rarely got to go home. Luckily we had washers and dryers in the dorm.

I moved out about three months before graduating high school. 18 Years old in 1970. I found out real quick it's not that great being out till 4:-4:30 in the morning and have to be ready for work at 6:. And When you spend too much of your pay, (for a Traynor bass amp head), you eat rice for two weeks till the next pay day.

I moved out about three months before graduating high school. 18 Years old in 1970. I found out real quick it's not that great being out till 4:-4:30 in the morning and have to be ready for work at 6:. And When you spend too much of your pay, (for a Traynor bass amp head), you eat rice for two weeks till the next pay day.

Funny that you said that. When I moved out I had a full time job making $784 a month, had a roommate and played in a band. Monthly I ran out of money after car payment, utilities, insurance, food and rent. This was right after I dropped out of college after one semester because I was going to be a rock star. I'm not kidding. My dad gave me $10 when I was totally broke (he did it fairly often god rest his soul) and I bought a big bag of rice and lived off of that and butter for 2 weeks.

I decided to go back college very soon after. Austerity was a big lesson then.

Well as an 18 year old living at home and commuting to college, I'm preparing to head out to a university soon.

I taught myself to cook and sew when I was like 11 or 12 and have been working since 13 for my dad in my early years. Fairly proud of that, and I think I would do ok. I do need to work on better money management and time management. Haven't asked my parents for money since I was 15 [thumbup]

Funny that you said that. When I moved out I had a full time job making $784 a month, had a roommate and played in a band. Monthly I ran out of money after car payment, utilities, insurance, food and rent. This was right after I dropped out of college after one semester because I was going to be a rock star. I'm not kidding. My dad gave me $10 when I was totally broke (he did it fairly often god rest his soul) and I bought a big bag of rice and lived off of that and butter for 2 weeks.

I decided to go back college very soon after. Austerity was a big lesson then.

I used butter, and when it was a special dinner, I added worcestershire sauce in place of the butter. A two burner hot plate and a 2 quart sauce pot. Uncle Ben's was good.

I used butter, and when it was a special diner, I added worcestershire sauce in place of the butter. A two burner hot plate and a 2 quart sauce pot. Uncle Ben's was good.

[thumbup]

That's great. I'll have to try that!

On my 18th birthday I took the $125.00 I had saved & packed everything I needed into a duffle bag and put my thumb out, in 6 months I hitchhiked across the US twice. I keep that duffle bag as a reminder.. I worked for a airfreight company, I pumped gas, I washed dishes. When I finally started my first semester of college I worked as a night janitor at a movie theater from midnight to 3:00 am.

That was a hard year...

Once I got out form under my parents feet I learned to appreciate them more, but then again I knew I would once I was out of their house.

Yeah, like the old saying goes. I decided to leave home because I thought my parents knew nothing. Years later I was amazed at how much they learned! He he he. I think Twain said this...

On my 18th birthday I took the $125.00 I had saved & packed everything I needed into a duffle bag and put my thumb out, in 6 months I hitchhiked across the US twice. I keep that duffle bag as a reminder.. I worked for a airfreight company, I pumped gas, I washed dishes. When I finally started my first semester of college I worked as a night janitor at a movie theater from midnight to 3:00 am.

That was a hard year...

I'll bet you're better for it.

I learned a lot most of them about how hard life can be when your on your own to damn young. My family was never much of a family abusive dad whacked out artist mom a sister that left home pregnant and married during her senior year of high school. For me it was my 16th birthday got home at about three pm and knew it was not gonna be pretty since my dads truck was there. Walked in dad said congrats on your 16th birthday boy but as you can probably tell I got some good news and bad news for you today. The good news is that white chevy pickup out front is yours paid off free and clear. Thats the good news and well the bad news is everything you own is in it. your mom and I have had enough were splitting up an neither of us is taking you the attorney is worked up emancipation papers on you so were going down to sign them. I rented you a hotel room down by Reed park paid for two weeks. try not to let them see you though its supposed to be me in the room. Now lets go we gotta get you to court for signing I'm leaving for Alaska tonight and you mommas going home to New Orleans her rides leaving at nine.

A trip to the court a quick hearing and I was on my own dad followed me to the short trip across Mesa to a cheap motel that rented by the week or month my dad looked at me said damn it looks worse at night pretty bad neighborhood so here keep the 45 auto it will take care of these addicts no problem. He then looked at me and said hope you stay in school and the college scholarship works out and you know enough about construction and plumbing so have a good life and look me up in a few years if ya want and away he drove.

So with that start I learned a lot and pretty fast.

I learned a lot most of them about how hard life can be when your on your own to damn young. My family was never much of a family abusive dad whacked out artist mom a sister that left home pregnant and married during her senior year of high school. For me it was my 16th birthday got home at about three pm and knew it was not gonna be pretty since my dads truck was there. Walked in dad said congrats on your 16th birthday boy but as you can probably tell I got some good news and bad news for you today. The good news is that white chevy pickup out front is yours paid off free and clear. Thats the good news and well the bad news is everything you own is in it. your mom and I have had enough were splitting up an neither of us is taking you the attorney is worked up emancipation papers on you so were going down to sign them. I rented you a hotel room down by Reed park paid for two weeks. try not to let them see you though its supposed to be me in the room. Now lets go we gotta get you to court for signing I'm leaving for Alaska tonight and you mommas going home to New Orleans her rides leaving at nine.

A trip to the court a quick hearing and I was on my own dad followed me to the short trip across Mesa to a cheap motel that rented by the week or month my dad looked at me said damn it looks worse at night pretty bad neighborhood so here keep the 45 auto it will take care of these addicts no problem. He then looked at me and said hope you stay in school and the college scholarship works out and you know enough about construction and plumbing so have a good life and look me up in a few years if ya want and away he drove.

Wow, thats a tough story man. I'm glad (from what it seems like) everything worked out though.

I learned a lot most of them about how hard life can be when your on your own to damn young. My family ...

... So with that start I learned a lot and pretty fast.

Yikes. Sorry you had to go through that.

I moved out when I was 17 when my father busted my rib with a 1X6. I didn't learn much other than how to clean up after myself... I guess I'm still trying to figure it out. #-o

Man, that had to be really hard on you.

I hope it didn't leave too many scars.

Your story reminds me just how good I had it growing up. Loving parents, stable environment. Didn't have a lot of money but didn't suffer either.

I think I'm gonna call my folks now.

Dave

It Doesn't feel right plusing or negativing (is that even a word?) that post so I'll quote it as a sign of respect. Anyone who makes it through that is a-ok in my books.

Because when that stuff comes up, it's gonna be moving pretty damned fast.

It's gonna hit the bottom of the little can, U-turn, and come flying back out in every direction.

But it's so educational. You learned a lot about parabolas. [thumbup]

Thanks for sharing that retro.

I used to think my family sucked, and wasn't really wanting to discuss it in an open forum. Hearing your tale... and seeing how well life turned out for you, makes me feel a lot better.

You, sir, are the very definition of "You ROCK!".

I learned that freedom was not having to sweat the rent, phone bills, light bill, gas bill, car payment, gas, food?

I think the saying goes "Fathers usually get smarter between the age of 15 and 25." It's a classic and I use it quite often. I know my dad did.

Puking girls: My wife works in where she sees a lot of this. Ladies, you really get to know who your friends are but getting pale faced, falling on your arse drunk. Many times, she's seen a copse of girls racing towards the bathroom. "Hold her hair up. Hold her hair up," they all say as they race towards the nearest stall. Someone grabs the long hair and holds it back. When the chuck starts coming up. [scared] The hair usually falls into the stool as her 'friends' beat a hasty, nauseated, retreat.

So many times she's seen college age students standing, befuddled, before the coin operated washing machines. [crying] She explains to them how it all works. "Coins?" [bored] is usually the first words out of their mouths, "Where do I get coins?" [crying] I have it on good authority that Febreze is a staple on college campuses... especially amongst the girls.

If you are moving away from home and can cook, sew and wash your own clothes, thank you mother for 'making' you do it. Seriously, next time you see her, kiss her and thank her. You will make her year.

If you cannot do the aforementioned... don't make the same mistake your mother did.

Archived