Gibson Brands Forums

Your Hometown

Artie Owl

I wanted to post this thread a while ago but forgot, tell everyone something unique about where you were born and raised. Doesn't have to be where you are currently though. Where home is for you.

I was born and raised in a place called Lower Sackville (no lie) which is basically a part of Halifax. Halifax was home to the second largest man-made explosion when a munitions ship collided with another ship in our harbour. On Dec 6th 1917 the city was mostly obliterated, with the exception of part of the downtown that was behind Citadel Hill (big fort in a hill).

While it was a horrific accident and many lost their lives, the spirit of the people showed in the form of aid that was given to us here, with special mention of the city of Boston responding faster than the Canadian government.

explosion.jpg

American Scientists who would later in the timeline be working on the Manhattan project came to Halifax to study the effects of the blast.

Every year since the blast Halifax has sent Boston the giant Christmas tree that lights up their downtown as thanks for the help we received then.

Anyone else?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Centerville, TN.

County seat for Hickman County, and home town of Minnie Pearl.

I lived in a great Victorian house a block from the town square and across the street from the Methodist Chruch.

I think everyone in the whole town was on a first name basis when I was young.

:D

I'm from little Lexington, MI. It is the first true vacation/resort town North of Detroit. Outside of that there isn't much to mention outside of a few ancient ship wrecks off of the shore, about half way to Canada.

The literal geographic center of the U.S.A.

Great rodeo, too, since it's the center of what remains a major livestock-production area. Local world champion cowboys are immortalized in bronze on the main street. You'll still see some of 'em in the grocery store or cafe.

At one time the largest livestock shipping point in the US; still the largest wool shipping point.

Oddly mentioned only in one major motion picture: John Wayne's "The Cowboys."

m

Falkirk, Stirlingshire, Scotland.

Was the site of a Roman Fort and Garrison on 'Antonine's Wall' which was built on the orders of Emperor Antoninus Pious in AD 142. From the windows of our History room at school we could actually look out over the remains of the wall. This was the northernmost line of defence of the Roman Empire, stretching from the Firth of Clyde (think Glasgow) in the west to the Firth of Forth in the east (think Edinburgh).

Site of two major battles in campaigns 450 years apart. The first was fighting for Scottish Independence from English subjugation in 1298 (think 'Braveheart'). The second, in 1746, was an atempt by the Covenanters to put a Catholic on the British throne (think 'Bonnie Prince Charlie').

P.

I wanted to post this thread a while ago but forgot, tell everyone something unique about where you were born and raised. Doesn't have to be where you are currently though. Where home is for you.

I was born and raised in a place called Lower Sackville (no lie) which is basically a part of Halifax. Halifax was home to the second largest man-made explosion when a munitions ship collided with another ship in our harbour. On Dec 6th 1917 the city was mostly obliterated, with the exception of part of the downtown that was behind Citadel Hill (big fort in a hill).

While it was a horrific accident and many lost their lives, the spirit of the people showed in the form of aid that was given to us here, with special mention of the city of Boston responding faster than the Canadian government.

explosion.jpg

American Scientists who would later in the timeline be working on the Manhattan project came to Halifax to study the effects of the blast.

Every year since the blast Halifax has sent Boston the giant Christmas tree that lights up their downtown as thanks for the help we received then.

Anyone else?

That was a fascinating read; thank you. Yes; my home town was a suburban area named Bromley.

Bromley has a rich history including; the remains of a Roman villa

http://cka.moon-demon.co.uk/villa.htm

a church from the 13th century

http://www.visitchur...y/?region=Essex

Churchill's house!

http://www.nationalt...ce/w-chartwell/

some more info on Saxon stuff; I am sure you would love this Chanman!

http://www.museumofl...ges/bromley.asp

Bromley despite all the above it sadly has a shopping mall, a Burger King and Mc Donalds and in the evening it is loud and full of people roaming from one club and/or pub to another mellow.gif

a quick rock n roll footnoot, the school I attended was the same school David Bowie went to!

Matt

That was a fascinating read; thank you. Yes; my home town was a suburban area named Bromley.

Bromley has a rich history including; the remains of a Roman villa

http://cka.moon-demon.co.uk/villa.htm

a church from the 13th century

http://www.visitchur...y/?region=Essex

Churchill's house!

http://www.nationalt...ce/w-chartwell/

some more info on Saxon stuff; I am sure you would love this Chanman!

http://www.museumofl...ges/bromley.asp

Bromley despite all the above it sadly has a shopping mall, a Burger King and Mc Donalds and in the evening it is loud and full of people roaming from one club and/or pub to another mellow.gif

a quick rock n roll footnoot, the school I attended was the same school David Bowie went to!

Matt

That's what I love the most about the UK, it's so rich in history.

I'm from Detroit and some guy by the name of Henry Ford made it popular for some time.

I think everyone in the whole town was on a first name basis when I was young.

Same here.

Well, I KNOW they all knew who I was - before I ever did a damned thing.

I was the youngest, and beneficiary of some notoriety thanks to my step dad and older siblings.

The literal geographic center of the U.S.A.

Ulysses Kansas is the center!!!!

[cursing]

Okay, close to the center - of the Lower 48. [rolleyes]

Named for President Ulysses S. Grant.

Learned as a child that the Windy City (Chicago) actually has a lower average windspeed than Dodge City Kansas.

Born on Travis Air Force base, Fairfield California. Claim to fame: Large base where troops often come home to after foreign missions.

Lived on Air Force bases in Italy and France as a kid.

Then spent my formative years in Jacksonville Arkansas. Claim to fame: Little Rock Air force base and the location where a titan 2 missle with a nuclear warhead exploded (i think in the 70's) and also one of the largest dioxin land poisonings in US history (I lived next to plant - probably why I'm short). Not a bad place though, have great band memories from there.

I was born and raised in Charlotte, NC. The first verified gold find in the fledgling United States was in Charlotte, and that lead to the nation's first gold rush. Many veins of gold were found in the area throughout the 19th century and even into the early 20th century, thus the founding of the Charlotte Mint in 1837 for minting local gold. The state of North Carolina led the nation in gold production until the California Gold Rush of 1848, although the total volume of gold mined in the Charlotte area was dwarfed by subsequent rushes. Today, Charlotte is home to several very large banks, including Bank of America, and the original Charlotte mint is now an art museum.

Different places. Born in Santiago, Chile. I read that Chileans actually speak Spanish at a faster rate than all other Spanish speaking countries. Don't know if that is 100% true. Tom Araya (Slayer) is also from Chile.

I was raised in Alexandria, VA. Hometown of Diedrick Bater (actor), where Dave Grohl grew up (went to same high school), also near the birth place of Sandra Bullock. [wub]

Archived