Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul's are sissy guitars

djroge1

I was reading an interview in Guitar player magazine and came across that quote - Les Paul's are sissy guitars. Well ok, I'm not looking at it to give a direct quote.

To keep it in context Jeff Beck was saying that the LP was easier to play because they don't have a floating bridge. I just thought it was an interesting point.

Well everyone has there opinion. I've never cared for the look or feel of the Les Paul. But I found to keep this to myself because of all the people that get pissed when I voice my opinion. I have some very nice Gibson Family guitars. Les Paul just ain't on that list of guitars that I have to have. :rolleyes:

Well everyone has there opinion. I've never cared for the look or feel of the Les Paul. But I found to keep this to myself because of all the people that get pissed when I voice my opinion. I have some very nice Gibson Family guitars. Les Paul just ain't on that list of guitars that I have to have. :rolleyes:

I'm in the same boat as you, I don't mind looking at them (especially Chan's or some of R9's) but I prefer V's and SG's.

Consider the source. Jeff Beck is insecure because the guy whose look & technique he stole (Nigel Tufnel) famously played a 3-pickup Black Beauty, with wireless.

And it sustains for days.... listen you can hear it now... Well, if it was plugged in

I agree, they are sissy guitars. More like they can be sissy guitars. Some people buy the most expensive one they can and they realize it's too nice to play; so, the guitar just sits there for fear of getting a few scratches. People often say you should leave the guitar in its case for a few hours after transporting it to let the guitar adjust to the new climate (I guess people don't realize the nitro formula changed to prevent this). The headstock is very weak and can easily break but that applies to all Gibsons; not just Les Pauls. Fenders are tanks. They're meant to be abused.

I'm in the same boat as you, I don't mind looking at them (especially Chan's or some of R9's) but I prefer V's and SG's.

Stop it, you're making me [blush]

I'm a triple sissy with my 3 LesPauls!.. And I would buy 50 more before I'd even test play a strat. That having been said, I think Jeff Beck is the best all-around player of the 60s icons and the most fluent in the most styles. Just saw him on a PBS special honoring Les which was recorded after Mr. Paul's passing. Jeff played a LP for much of the show. Bet he wishes he could take the quote back.

Two ways of looking at this....

Guitars....masculine or feminine?...hard or soft? etc etc

Guitars I like have curves and aesthetic beauty and functionality

Some guitars have macho imagery like teeth,'axe' shaping and sharp pointy styling

Others have 'joke' styling and graphics......

V

:-({|=

Archived