Gibson Brands Forums

High school years - the music

NeoConMan

I'm with you EVOL. "Classic Rock" sucks. Give me the "B-sides" or groups that didn't make the top 100 and I'll be happy. I may love Hendrix and think he was great, but I don't want to hear him every day.

I love classic rock, but not what you hear on the radio. The problem was that after Clear Channel got the green light to buy up every AM & FM station from coast to coast, they started dictating the same play list from LA or NY to every market. Detroit? Omaha? Tampa Bay? Seattle? Atlanta? Yes x5. Hey, if it works in Oklahoma City it will work in Chicago! Payola up through today is bad enough. Cookie cutter formats are even worse.

And they wonder why terrestrial radio listenership is down every year.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay...

First: Neo, one good thing about the 80s in some circles was the beginning of a "cowboy music revival." Ian Tyson came out with his cowboy stuff, some of the other guys who did that general kinda music got some promotion and play.

Ain't city music; full of metaphor; a complex poetry set to more or less real - as opposed to folkie - ranch country folk music. One might make the case that it even helped to add "cowboy" stuff into the more commercial "country" field.

Second: Since I'm even older than Grampa but too young to be one. <chortle>

The regionalism of music was a big deal in the late 50s and pre-Beatle 60s. My first two years of high school were on the northern plains and my last two were in a boarding school in Massachusetts. I found out later a lotta stuff was rather different.

But... An interesting point also is that I was hanging out in Harvard Square in Cambridge, Mass, on vacations and there was a super folk venue there called the Club 47. Dark, smoky, lousy sound system... but THEY were there. The folkie heroes.

Anyway, in 1963... As Grampa noted, the last graduating class pre-Beatle.

From the top 100, by number, and with my comment; some will sound familiar if played today, some will sound as if somebody on Mars did them.

1. Sugar Shack, Jimmy Gilmer and The Fireballs - Argh. Bubblegum music

1. Surfin' U.S.A., Beach Boys - Surf sound janglin' and well-washed harmonies

3. The End of the World, Skeeter Davis - Country crossover a lotta "rock" bands did!!

4. Rhythm Of The Rain, Cascades - Teen market "pop"

5. He's So Fine, Chiffons - Motown type stuff,

6. Blue Velvet, Bobby Vinton - Teen girls' market pop

7. Hey Paula, Paul and Paula - Also teen pop, very "sweet teen love."

8. Fingertips, II, Little Stevie Wonder - Never heard it.

9. Washington Square, Village Stompers - pop dixieland.

10. It's All Right, Impressions - Don't recall hearing it

11. Can't Get Used to Losing You, Andy Williams - Crossover old people pop to teen

12. My Boyfriend's Back, The Angels - The name tells it all, common for the period

13. Sukiyaki, Kyu Sakamoto - Japanese pop, in Japanese???????!!!! Novelty appeal

17. Blowin' In the Wind, Peter, Paul and Mary - Dylan-style folkieness prettified.

19. Deep Purple, Nino Tempo and April Stevens - Teen pop update of 1939 #1

20. Wipe Out, The Surfaris - Surfer drummer classic... All rock bands hadda play it.

22. Wild Weekend, The Rockin' Rebels (One I like a lot even today, 50s sax rock)

24. Walk Like a Man, Four Seasons - teen pop - falsetto lead as was not uncommon

26. I Will Follow Him, Little Peggy March - Bubblegum teen pop

27. Pipeline, Chantays - again everybody messed with this one.

34. Walk Right In, Rooftop Singers - Pop-folkie, acoustic 12-string

42. Our Day Will Come, Ruby and The Romantics - Phaser type effects!!!!

46. Mean Woman Blues, Roy Orbison - What more to say

58. Memphis, Lonnie Mack - Everybody did this one eventually

59. In Dreams, Roy Orbison - repopularized in the 80s!

67. Little Red Rooster, Sam Cooke - Sound familiar from Brit invasion?

73. Walking The Dog, Rufus Thomas - Still a classic

74. From a Jack to a King, Ned Miller - Country with heavy backbeat

80. Ring of Fire, Johnny Cash - Yup, considered at minimum crossover rock

To me, "classic rock" is popular rock music from the '50s thru the '70s played on the radio. I love many of the artists that played the songs, just don't like hearing the same pop music every day on classic rock stations for the last 60 years... starts to get old. I also didn't see the so called potential or the talent in artists like Jim Croche, Gilbert O'Sullivan, The Monkeys, et. al.

Graduate in '04, so I decided to pop open a top 100 hits, here's the top 10...

1. The Reason, Hoobastank

2. This Love, Maroon 5

3. Yeah!, Usher featuring Ludacris & Lil' Jon

4. Leave (Get Out), JoJo

5. She Will Be Loved, Maroon 5

6. Pieces of Me, Ashlee Simpson

7. With You, Jessica Simpson

8. The Way You Move, Outkast

9. My Immortal, Evanescence

10. My Happy Ending, Avril Lavigne

Toxic by Britney Spears was #13.

I'm sure some people used to wonder why I spent all my time listening to music from the 70s. If anyone ever asks again, I may pull that list. The 2000s sucked overall for music, though there have been a few solid bands to come out of it all.

Think I'll throw on some Raconteurs...

bschory

Cambridge High and Latin? Still where they were in 1961? <grin>

That's why my Dad sent me off to boarding school 'stedda letting me go there. Figured a country boy might not fit very well. I've a hunch he was right, although it was more than enough culture shock in the Berkshires.

m

bschory

Cambridge High and Latin? Still where they were in 1961? <grin>

That's why my Dad sent me off to boarding school 'stedda letting me go there. Figured a country boy might not fit very well. I've a hunch he was right, although it was more than enough culture shock in the Berkshires.

m

I actually grew up in New Jersey, not far outside of Philadelphia. I went to Eastern Regional High School in Voorhees, NJ.

"Cambridge High and Latin" caught me off guard a bit. I moved up here in 2004 to go to College, so I had only seen "Cambridge Rindge and Latin (CRLS)", which is (still, apparently)the only High School in Cambridge. Cambridge High and Latin merged with Rindge Technical School in '77, according to the CRLS website. Looks like the school is still in the same place, but they tore down the old building in 1980. The kept the old granite lintel and doorway though, but moved them to the corner of Broadway and Ellery. It now serves as the entry to a Park:

Latin School Doorway

Well, here's to learning a little bit more about where I'm living. Thanks for the prompting to look in to it milod!

- B

I actually grew up in New Jersey, not far outside of Philadelphia. I went to Eastern Regional High School in Voorhees, NJ.

"Cambridge High and Latin" caught me off guard a bit. I moved up here in 2004 to go to College, so I had only seen "Cambridge Rindge and Latin (CRLS)", which is (still, apparently)the only High School in Cambridge. Cambridge High and Latin merged with Rindge Technical School in '77, according to the CRLS website. Looks like the school is still in the same place, but they tore down the old building in 1980. The kept the old granite lintel and doorway though, but moved them to the corner of Broadway and Ellery. It now serves as the entry to a Park:

Latin School Doorway

Well, here's to learning a little bit more about where I'm living. Thanks for the prompting to look in to it milod!

- B

CRLS is the only Public HS in Cambridge.

Thats where my Wife graduated from.

the rest are all private Catholic schools.

What about you folks?

Did the music from your high school years really rock - or really suck? [woot]

I think part of the problem is using radio as the reference. Sure, radio sucked then as it sucks now.

However, there are always good bands making great music. I graduated two years before you, Neo, in 1981.

Did radio suck? Sure, But we had a thriving southern rock scene in N. Fla and that helped a bit... Our

parking lot was blasting Skynyrd, Molly Hatchett, Blackfoot, and the Outlaws. Many other local and regional

bands were playing the same type stuff most weekends. The next year I started college and "discovered" bands

like X and the Buzzcocks - also not on radio. So, my high school music kinda sucked, but kinda didn't I guess.

Here's the top 30 from 1978. You thought you had crap on your radio in mid 80's

How bout this for sucking canal water. Even the Stones were doing disco.msp_thumbdn.gif

001 - ANDY GIBB - SHADOW DANCING

002 - BEE GEES - NIGHT FEVER

003 - DEBBY BOONE - YOU LIGHT UP MY LIFE

004 - BEE GEES - STAYIN' ALIVE

005 - EXILE - KISS YOU ALL OVER

006 - BEE GEES - HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE

007 - PLAYER - BABY COME BACK

008 - ANDY GIBB - (LOVE IS) THICKER THAN WATER

009 - A TASTE OF HONEY - BOOGIE OOGIE OOGIE

010 - COMMODORES - THREE TIMES A LADY

011 - FRANKIE VALI - GREASE

012 - PAUL DAVIS - I GO CRAZY

013 - JOHN TRAVOLTA & OLIVIA NEWTON JOHN - YOU'RE THE ONE THAT I WANT

014 - SAMANTHA SANG - EMOTION

015 - ERIC CLAPTON - LAY DOWN SALLY

016 - ROLLING STONES - MISS YOU

017 - BILLY JOEL - JUST THE WAY YOU ARE

018 - PAUL MCCARTNEY & WINGS - WITH A LITTLE LUCK

019 - YVONNE ELLIMAN - IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU

020 - CHIC - DANCE DANCE DANCE (YOWSAH YOWSAH YOWSAH)

021 - CHUCK MANGIONE - FEEL SO GOOD

022 - NICK GILDER - HOT CHILD IN THE CITY

023 - SWEET - LOVE IS LIKE OXYGEN

024 - BONNIE TYLER - IT'S A HEARTACHE

025 - QUEEN - WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS WE WILL ROCK YOU

026 - GERRY RAFFERTY - BAKER STREET

027 - BARRY MANILOW - CAN'T SMILE WITHOUT YOU

028 - JOHNNY MATHIS & DENIECE WILLIAMS - TOO MUCH TOO LITTLE TOO LATE

029 - PETER BROWN - DANCE WITH ME

030 - MEAT LOAF - TWO OUT OF THREE AIN'T BAD

My point was two-fold - pop music was everywhere, and some of the crap crossed over in 1983.

Every Breath You Take was constant on the ROCK stations where I lived.

Down Under, and other Men At Work goofiness was considered "rock" enough for heavy rotation.

Beat It had Eddie Van Halen playing guitar - good enough to get Michael Jackson onto rock radio...

Let's Dance - I'm sorry, I STILL consider that a "dance" song. Never liked it.

Africa - The Toto pvssy ballad that got chicks to listen to rock radio. Where was Hold The Line?

Electric Avenue - sucked. Every time I heard it. On ROCK radio.

Say It Isn't So - Yep, that mellow pop confection got played PLENTY. Yeah, we were ROCKIN' to that one...

That was part of my point - Rock radio had gone soft in the country's heartland.

As I traveled and talked to friends and family in various states, they agreed.

It used to kill me when they started playing only mellow cuts by classic rock bands too.

NOTHING rocked anymore, in 1983 and 1984 (a HORRIBLE Van Halen album) it was becoming Lite Rock.

Even on the "rock" stations.

the only song to cross over to rock from that list where I lived, in austin, was every breath you take. I guess 93.7 KLBJ (still on) and Z102, the only two rock stations then, failed to give me my bubble gum pop.

The music right now SUCKS! I myself, prefered 1984 like you said mainly because of bands like Ratt and Motley Crue and such. Can't get enough hair metal [thumbup] I listen to 93.7 KLBJ like The Whack King said, ('cus I'm near Austin) and it sometimes plays those kinda bands. Whatever, I just wish I was in highschool in the 80s rather than now. Bleh.

Late 80's....mainstream sucked, but the digging was great!

SRV was alive and putting out albums.

Albert Collins "Cold Snap" was still brand new.

Lonni Mack and Buddy guy had just started their comebacks.

Johnny Winter just signed to Aligator.

Robert Johnson's recordings were remastered and put out in very informative Boxed Sets.

Eric Clapton put out Journeyman featuring George Harrison penned tunes and introducing Robert Cray to the guitar world.

Jeff Healy was in his prime.

Pink Floyd Momentary Lapse just came out and I had Delicate Sound of Thunder on VHS.

Danny Elfman was still doing Oingo Boingo.

Robert Plant put out his two best solo efforts Back to Back. "Now and Zen" and "Manic Nirvana".

Things weren't so bad.

Neo and I are about the same age so I heard all the same music. I remember seeing SRV for free at a university Fall Fest concert. It was around 1984 or so and Cyndi Lauper played just before him. All the teenie bop fans ran for the exit when she was done. I literally crawled my way to the stage and got to stand about 10 feet from SRV for his entire show. It's by far the best concert I've ever seen...

Just to illustrate the point that the "good old days" weren't actually that good, when it came to popular music, here's a list of the top 20 songs of 1971 -- the year when "Live at Fillmore East" form the Allman Brothers, Led Zeppelin's "IV", Yes -- "Fragile", Black Sabbath -- "Master of Reality". Pink Floyd -- "Meddle", and "L.A. Woman" from the Doors came out, to name a few. There are a few good tunes on this list, but most of it is lame mainstream pop -- just like it was in 1983:

# 1

Joy To The World

- Three Dog Night

# 2

Maggie May

- Rod Stewart

# 3

It's Too Late

- Carole King

# 4

One Bad Apple

- The Osmonds

# 5

How Can You Mend A Broken heart

- The Bee Gees

# 6

Knock Three Times

- Dawn

# 7

Brand New Key

- Melanie

# 8

Go Away Little Girl

- Donny Osmond

# 9

Family Affair

- Sly and The Family Stone

# 10

Gypsys, Tramps & Thieves

- Cher

# 11

Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)

- The Temptations

# 12

Theme From Shaft

- Isaac Hayes

# 13

Me And Bobby McGee

- Janis Joplin

# 14

Brown Sugar

- The Rolling Stones

# 15

Indian Reservation

- Raiders

# 16

Want Ads

- The Honey Cone

# 17

You've Got A Friend

- James Taylor

# 18

Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey

- Paul & Linda McCartney

# 19

What's Going On

- Marvin Gaye

# 20

Never Can Say Goodbye

- The Jackson 5

I was in high school from 84 to 88. The music on the radio was great. Ratt, Anthrax, Satch, Iron Maiden, Rush, DLR Band, SRV. My buddies and I traded tapes of less main stream bands like Talos, Janes Addiction, Racer X. The classic rock station were playing CSNY, Yes, Deep Purple, Led Zep, Traffic, Tull.

I'd say it has had a huge influence on my playing and writing.

I can remember the first song I learned off a record, that would be a 45 vinyl, was Snoopy verses the Red Baron. First band I was in played all CCR. I liked the 70's bands like Foreigner, Styx, Head East, ZZ Top and Lynard Skynard, but I really liked the 80's metal.

Here was the top 20 from my high school days.

# 1 Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkle

# 2 I'll Be There - The Jackson 5

# 3 Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head - B.J. Thomas

# 4 (They Long To Be) Close To You - The carpenters

# 5 My Sweet Lord - George Harrison

# 6 I Think I Love You - The Partidge Family

# 7 Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross

# 8 American Woman - The Guess Who

# 9 War - Edwin Starr

# 10 Let It Be - The Beatles

# 11 The Tears Of A Clown - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

# 12 Mama Told Me (Not To Come) - Three Dog Night

# 13 ABC - The Jackson 5

# 14 The Love You Save - The Jackson 5

# 15 Thank You Falettinme Me Be Myself Again - Sly & The Family Stone

# 16 Everything Is Beautiful - Ray Stevens

# 17 The Long And Winding Road - The Beatles

# 18 Make It With You - Bread

# 19 Venus - The Shocking Blue

# 20 Cracklin' Rosie - Neil Diamond

My "High" school years definitely did not suck....

1967 - 1970

1. Respect - Aretha Franklin

2. Light My Fire - Doors

3. Sunshine Of Your Love - Cream

4. Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix

5. A Day In The Life - Beatles

6. Whiter Shade Of Pale - Procol Harum

7. Somebody To Love - Jefferson Airplane

8. Soul Man - Sam & Dave

9. Strawberry Fields Forever - Beatles

10. Nights In White Satin - Moody Blues

1. I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Marvin Gaye

2. Hey Jude - Beatles

3. All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix

4. Dock Of The Bay - Otis Redding

5. Mony Mony - Tommy James & the Shondells

6. Jumpin' Jack Flash - Rolling Stones

7. Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf

8. White Room - Cream

9. Sympathy For The Devil - Rolling Stones

10. Revolution - Beatles

1. Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin

2. Proud Mary - Creedence Clearwater Revival

3. I Want You Back - Jackson 5

4. Honky Tonk Women - Rolling Stones

5. Bad Moon Rising - Creedence Clearwater Revival

6. Suite: Judy Blue Eyes - Crosby, Stills & Nash

7. Dazed And Confused - Led Zeppelin

8. Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

9. Come Together - Beatles

10. I Can't Get Next To You - Temptations

1. Layla - Derek and the Dominos

2. Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel

3. Let It Be - The Beatles

4. Your Song - Elton John

5. Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine - James Brown

6. Lola - The Kinks

7. Who'll Stop the Rain - Creedence Clearwater Revival

8. Fire and Rain - James Taylor

9. Paranoid - Black Sabbath

10. All Right Now - Free

Amazing time.....imho [love]

My favorite high school memories (Class of 1982) are playing in bands, doing shows for the classmates. The Beta Club or the Science Club would want a fund raiser, so they'd enlist us. All classes would be cut short that day, and at 2:30 everyone would pay their buck and come into the auditorium. I still have a cassette recording somewhere of a set we did my senior year. We did "Too Much Time on My Hands" (Styx), "The Stroke" (Bille Squire), "Jessie's Girl" (Rick Springfield), "Working For The Weekend" (Loverboy), "Who's Crying Now" (Journey), and "The Cowboy Song/The Boys Are Back In Town" (Thin Lizzy).

And girls I hardly knew would call that night. [thumbup]

Ahhh....youth.

Archived