Gibson Brands Forums

Amp simulators,, your thoughts

SGSpecialguy

hey guys, been a while since Ive posted here,, anyways, been playing with some amp simulators (software) and actually have some fun with them, tried the Guitar Rig 4, Peavey's Revalver MKII, Waves GTR Solo, Amplitude and been using Line 6 Gearbox for a long time. I was wondering if any of you guys are using or experimenting with these. I havent tried Line 6 Amp Farm 2 yet, its only $49.00 now but looks cool for the money. Out of all I stated, I like the Guitar Rig 4.0, lots of versatility. I'm also leaning on the idea of a Multi FX pedal since most are USB ready, looking at the Digitech RP1000 or the Vox Tonelab ST or even the new Line 6 Pod HD's for laying down some recordings or even just jamming along with some tracks,, so,, whats your thoughts, I know they arent as good as a real tube amp as far as feel goes but I think alot more pros are going with the sims in the studio these days rather then draggin out all the gear !! If you havent checked these out yet, take a look, lots of info on Youtube and these all offer demo's too

I have a Line 6 Vetta II. I agree that it won't be able to get a tube amp sound down perfectly, but it's pretty darn close. For example, it actually simulates the "attack" of the tube breaking up at various volumes. Plus it comes with every possible effect in the book. So I went with versatility and sacrificed some sound. I still prefer tube amps but modeling amps have come a long way.

Yeah - but I understand that capturing a Marshall stack cranked WFO is tough to do for recording...

[thumbup]

But...

I own no modeling software, recording equipment, or simulators.

I DO however, own a nice old Marshall stack.

[woot][thumbup] B)

I have a small version of amplitube that came with some recording software but I've not used it really. I bought the software when the Lounge forum members were talking about recording together.

Mostly, I have the amp sims built into the hard disc recorder I use which is a Boss BR1600. It's easier to use that rather than setting up the amp and mics. But I've don't both.

I'm getting better than passable tones from a cheap little Zoom G1-N(ext) multi pedal that has several amp simulations available......running it through my Blackstar tube amp.

granted, i'm not getting EVERY subtle nuance of the origionals from it, but neither are the modern reproductions of the same amps.

it's known that amps, like guitars (or ANY instrument) "sweeten" with age and use, so I figure the simulators I use are close enough, because they sound really close to the old amps I test drove in pawn-shops and used gear shops years ago.

I have Guitar Rig 4 and the Rig controller (footswitch). I can honestly say I've no connection to Native Instruments but this product is superb.

All the effect's, and amp models you could wish for, and also a built in "tape deck" that you can drop mp3's, wav's etc into and slow down by 50% without affecting the pitch.

Awesome tool for practicing....

I'm not promoting "cracked" software, but try before you buy....I did, and had no problem coughing up the few hundred buck for the whole thing with the footcontroller.

Also , the Rig controller is extremely sturdy, it's metal and not plastic, and has 8 assignable footswitches.... [thumbup]

Superb!!! [thumbup]

I have the Eleven Rack from Digidesign it runs Pro Tools LE natively which is why I bought it. I like it, altough it's not gonna replace my tube amps anytime soon especially for live play. It doesn't really have the warmth of a tube amp. It may have the "feel", but not the warmth.

It's a great recording tool though and I love having the ability to simply re-amp on the fly and it's a gtray protools LE interface for guitar. Some people run it through a tube power amp but I just play it through monitor speakers. or as a direct feed in the Mac as a DAW.

I'm very pleased with my Vox VT30 [thumbup]

It doesn't move as much air as my 18 watt Marshall clone but it models 22 different amps very well and you can turn down the output to bedroom levels without affecting the tone a lot.

I have several tube amps, a few nice solid state amps, a Line6 Pod and several modeling programs. I find each of them have their uses. Recording with software if far easier than recording with amps. Replicating sessions is also far more simple. The down side to me isn't really amp tone. The tones are good these days. It's the room sounds. A mic in front of an amp in a room has an ambient sound that I can't seem to get with a program. Not really a deal breaker for me but I notice it.

if you guys havent checked out the Guitar rig stuff, its worth a look,, I too am interested in the foot Kontrol,, Ive read alot of guys are running a Tube pre amp in front of the signal to warm it up and give it somewhat more of a tube feel, theres all kinds of tube pre amps and interfaces out there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBTlZb1jMyo

Fractal Audio's AxeFx is the undisputed king of amp sims, if you must have the best then accept no substitue.

On the cheaper end of the scale, you can't really go past the Line 6 POD HD300.

that Axefx is expensive !! the Eleven Rack is another MORE reasonable device, suppose to be really nice as well,,

mcmurray Im also considering that HD 300

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA5aEWzggno&playnext=1&list=PL67989B8EE9459613

I think that amp simulators could be a valuable tool in a recording situation. -Maybe to get a slightly different tone when doubling up guitar tracks. I'm not sold on them yet as a primary source of sound. I think the technology is really close. Maybe I'm just old school, but I get a kick out of having a real amp, cranked, miked, in a room for recording guitar tracks.

Interesting to see all of the alternatives out there.

Right now, I'm considering getting a Line 6 POD or something of that ilk for home practice so I don't get murdered in my sleep by my parents for trying to play an amp quietly (apparently, my definition of quietly and theirs are quite different. Whoda thunk it?)

However, for recording purposes, I don't want to say never, but I don't believe that in my existence I will record with anything but a mic'ed up tube amp IF I can help it. I understand that when done properly, modeling software can give a great sound, but to me it has to feel like the music, and the modeling software doesn't have that feel.

I have done some work with Guitar Rig in a studio, and it sounds good, but I'm not sold on it being a better alternative to recording an actual amp

I think that amp simulators could be a valuable tool in a recording situation. -Maybe to get a slightly different tone when doubling up guitar tracks. I'm not sold on them yet as a primary source of sound. I think the technology is really close. Maybe I'm just old school, but I get a kick out of having a real amp cranked, miked, in a room for recording guitar tracks.

no doubt !! real tube amps are the real deal, but most of us cant afford these kick *** amps that are supplied in the software and just to have access to those and play with them is alot of fun !!

Actually... if your looking for good tube amp distortion most of them sound like sh#t unless you crank them up to volumes that are not polite in residential settings.

One thing that made me rethinking all of this recently was an interview I heard with a guitar player that was known for his killer tone, boutique amps and his custom vintage Gretsch guitars. The interviewer was all existed to find out what he used to get the killer "Gretsch+Tube" tones on his first record.Was it his vintage Gretsch? Was it the special way he miced the amps? How did he do it? Finally the guy said "Oh...the first record? I used a new Tele and one of those Line6 Pod things for the whole record..."

There are a lot of pros using sims these days. But it ain't cool to let people know it.

Did you ever wonder how Getty Lee got such great tone from a rack of rotisserie chickens?

post-13897-056178800 1297349639_thumb.jpg

So much about sound is subjective... so much has to do with where you hear something - literally.

Amp "A" will sound different in a cavern-type saloon and outdoors, for example.

I am not at all a Luddite on this sort of thing, but one must also consider that in a performance venue as opposed to recording "direct" from a pod-type device, you ain't gonna get 15-inch speaker sim through 10-inch or 12-inch speakers regardless of quality.

But then again, "stuff" will sound different in a concert hall vs a low-ceiling saloon.

And as has been mentioned, even two tube amps of the same brand built 30 years or more apart ain't gonna sound the same.

So... honestly, my figuring is that if something trips your trigger, it's good; if you can't get it to do what you wanted, it's a waste of your money. Sim "A" may be wonderful for me to use and worth every penny because I've figured how to make it fit how I play and/or record and make me happy; it may do nothing but make you angry because it doesn't fit your playing, your other equipment or what you expected from it.

m

Guitar Rig is a pretty sweet toy. It took me about 2 hours with the thing before I was a complete believer. I personally find it more difficult and time consuming to record amps than anyone else has let on. You can come back to it later and try to find the same tone, but you forgot which mics you used, where they were placed, and where you had the settings on the amp and the interface. Having the same tone at the click of a mouse is a huge time saver. Plus adding effects later is much easier than putting everything in front of the signal and then tweeking. If I could set up a rig where I could run this software through a preamp into a cab for playing live, I would do it in a second.

Archived