Gibson Brands Forums

Crawling In an Attic....

duane v

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't worry about anything. I've been up in several attics and they're really not all that scary... just make sure you keep your weight on the rafters or boards across them or whatever because you don't want to fall through the ceiling.

I had a nasty 'attic situation' last year...

Had to get up into the attic of a relative's house urgently to assess water ingress during a windy rainstorm

pu*sy-footed across rafters etc ending up bent double at the eaves with no headroom

pu*sy-footed back out and drove home

Played my very heavy Tele quite vigorously next day as normal

Realised I had trapped a nerve doing the attic

Had nasty sciatica for a week needing osteo treatment....

V

:-({|=

ok, i might get a minus for this, but i can't help it. if i do, i will take it like a man.

first, perhaps your mother just wants to see you and is using it as an excuse to get you over there. if so, you would be doing her a favor by doing it and not finishing the job so you can make multiple trips. but maybe she wants to sell the house, move on. if that is the case, you may have a fear of that and that is what is keeping you.

if you are thinking of hiring you daughters freind to do it in your place, i hope i am wrong in thinking you are gonna get a girl to do it. while that to most of us is a perfectly fine thing to do, you don't want to tell anyone. but then that secret may get you into more trouble. if it is your daughters bf, then you want to be the one to go up. if you do want to use the mask and goggles, keep them hidden.

I beg to differ. Do the job your mom ask you to in it's entirety. Moms have an uncanny ability to come up with whatever needs movin' or fixin' to get you to come over to say, "Hey!".

My mom went through this a couple times in the last decade, "I've got these boxes for you. It's your stuff. I'm tired of storing it." I don't think she has any intention of moving. She's just tired of storing. She's got better uses for that space which your stuff is taking up. So be an adult, pick it up and either store it or get rid of it yourself.

I'm getting to that point with my own kids.

I brought home a box of promotional fast food restaurant glass tumblers with various and sundry cartoon characters I collected in my teens which were buried in the back of the closet of my former (30 years ago) bedroom. I haven't a clue what to do with them. so... >sigh< I'm storing them. (At my place now).

If it is a real finished type of attic you should be ok mask, long sleeves and pants etc.. for spiders. If it is just the area between the ceiling and the roof I would wear a hard hat as well cause it's easy to stand up to high and poke a roofing nail in your head[scared] Also don't trip on electrical wires and watch which the way the ceiling joists are running ( they usually change directions) you want too keep your feet on the joists or you will end up poking your leg through the ceiling ala Christmas Vacation. Go on the coolest day possible because it doesn't take much outside heat to get that area scorching hot (cringing thinking about that double neck) to the point you can't breathe. Also recommend one of those LED flashlights you can strap to your head and a poking stick cause sometimes you can't see the joists because of insulation. I would be cautious of sending a kid up there for liability sake... Pray for no Blown Insulation! I DIY everything so Attic and crawl spaces are familiar places for me to be. ( I hate it too but especially crawl space)

Have fun! [flapper] I would feel bad for you if you weren't fetching a double neck. There would be a lot worst places I would venture for one of those!

Andy

I beg to differ. Do the job your mom ask you to in it's entirety. Moms have an uncanny ability to come up with whatever needs movin' or fixin' to get you to come over to say, "Hey!".

My mom went through this a couple times in the last decade, "I've got these boxes for you. It's your stuff. I'm tired of storing it." I don't think she has any intention of moving. She's just tired of storing. She's got better uses for that space which your stuff is taking up. So be an adult, pick it up and either store it or get rid of it yourself.

I'm getting to that point with my own kids.

I brought home a box of promotional fast food restaurant glass tumblers with various and sundry cartoon characters I collected in my teens which were buried in the back of the closet of my former (30 years ago) bedroom. I haven't a clue what to do with them. so... >sigh< I'm storing them. (At my place now).

You're correct I have been putting this off way too long, and what's magnifying the whole thing is there are five other siblings that have thier stuff from days gone by up in moms attic as well.

When I get back from Bogota I plan on heading over there and at the least get some of the low hanging fruit from there....

People are funny grown men afraid of spiders and dust [laugh]

Try to stay on rafters since plaster or drywall won't hold your weight. The thing to watch out for in attics here in Arizona is the freaking nails they use to attach the ceramic tiles there's thousands of them and they stick through the roof sheathing just enough to poke a good hole in your head.

Here in the deserts I don't put anything in my attic especially not anything I might want to keep especially anything fragile like a guitar. The heat would destroy it in less than a year for sure. Hope the guitar is ok I can't imagine one surviving for very long in a attic without major heat, moisture or dehydration issue. :blink:

I was thinking a mask and goggles...

One of the guitars (that's my older brothers) is a Gibson doubleneck.... I believe it's a 70's model. He doesn't play anymore, and doesn't give a crap about it, so I guess I'll just keep it. He told me last year just give him $500, because that's what he paid for it.

The other is either a 80's Vantage or a Washburn A5, A10 or A-something [confused] .

You lucky son ****** [biggrin] give your brother the 500,00 dollars and say you love him [thumbup]

Nothing dangerous in our attic, appart from dust but I jst man up and end up sneezing for the rest of the day. Lots of alcohol in our attic do its always worth going up there. Oh and saw a comment about putting wood on the rafters.Thats a gd idea, I fell through the other year. We've now sacrafised an old wardrobe and put down a few spare planks of laminate flooring. job done :)

Archived