Gibson Brands Forums

I suck

Silenced Fred

Bridge tricks I've used recently:

in a 4/4, hard rock borderline metal song: change the bridge to 6/4, change it up slightly but with the same overall chord structure

in a 4/4 pop song: 1/2 of the verse with guitar solo

in a 4/4 hard rock song: half time break down with guitar solo, punctuated with a couple measures of driving rhythms here every 4 measures or so

in a blues rock song: modulate up a step and change the chord progression slightly

Just a little change or little addition to what you've already got can go a long way. Mess around a bit, and you'll feel it when it comes.

Slow it down to 1/2 tempo for the bridge. I've heard something like that from Ennio Morricone in his spaghetti scores.

Strum the chords slowly, or play the progression as slow arpeggios and wait 'til you hear a different melody than the verses or chorus come into your head. There's your bridge.

My first thought exactly!!!

"Where's that confounded bridge?"

A number of Zep fans here I see.

If I can't find a bridge I look for a ferry.

The intricasies of song writing and the terminology that goes with it are beyond my grasp.

But enjoy.

Bridges are super important if you write a lot of pop songs* like I do. Without them your songs can sound repetitive or melodically mushy and reckless use of tricks like half time, double time, and modulation can sound cheesy or cliched so proceed with caution.

Bridges are also very hard to write and can be the log jam on the river from OK song to killer tune. To me they are the mark of mature songwriting.

Good luck writing those bridges.

*Not pop songs as in Britney Spears or Michael Jackson. Pop songs as in early Beatles, T-Rex, & REM.

Bridges are super important if you write a lot of pop songs* like I do. Without them your songs can sound repetitive or melodically mushy and reckless use of tricks like half time, double time, and modulation can sound cheesy or cliched so proceed with caution.

Bridges are also very hard to write and can be the log jam on the river from OK song to killer tune. To me they are the mark of mature songwriting.

Good luck writing those bridges.

*Not pop songs as in Britney Spears or Michael Jackson. Pop songs as in early Beatles, T-Rex, & REM.

That's what I'm trying to avoid, them being all cheesy. The song needs something to tie it all together, and it just needs some sort of bridge

Lotta jokes, lotta crap. Just do whatever feels natural. Let the song go where it wants to. Don't ever, ever, ever feel like you have to fit a formula! If you can't come up with a bridge, don't use one. Or maybe use some kind of break that doesn't necessarily fit the "bridge" formula. Or at the very least, put it away and come back to it later when a natural bridge will make itself apparent. JMHO.

Archived