Gibson Brands Forums

Is anybody here actively using/collecting vinyl LPs?

Riffster

Just brought another 60+ records from my parents house, I brought 35 last time.

so I am getting a new turntable and already ordered some new plastic sleeves since the current ones are dry rotted after 15 years of storage.

A friend tells me that some records are being re-issued on vinyl but some record companies are messing with equalization, mastering, etc.

What are the "New rules of vinyl" so to speak?

I am planning on start buying old classics on vinyl, I think it'll be fun to browse on local record stores and ebay for stuff I always wanted.

Is anyone in here an active vinyl enthusiast?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really an avid collector or enthusiast but starting from back in the '70s I've amassed somewhere in the region of 500 - 600 albums almost all of which I've kept and, generally speaking, I'll listen to some of them on a daily basis.

I've heard some Digital Re-masters which have been so very different from the originals it has been, on occasion, quite a shock to the system.

P.

There are many people who collect classic vinyl records.

I have some of my parents collection as well as some of my own that I've collected over the years.

Old school R&B, Blues and Jazz are very collectable.

For instance, one of my Tool Albums recently sold for over $300.00 on ebay. I guess they released it on album for a limited time (two weeks I believe).

I got a copy of it. I couldn't believe it was that much.

Good luck with that.

Lots of bands are releasing special editions on vinyl and some are charging a premium for them since the quantities are limited. Can't remember which band it was as I heard about this a few months ago, but a band did a limited edition vinyl run on their new album at a grand a piece (50 albums). I usually go visit my dad and listen to his old vinyls.

Yea, I have seen the limited editions and all of that stuff, I am planning on just collecting the original stuff and i will be selective, nothing too expensive.

I have some stuff that I did not remember immediately why I own but then I remembered that as teenagers we were so broke that we used to share records within our group and tried not to buy duplicates so we could listen to more stuff.

Here are a few albums, notice the early Metal stuff and also some classics, of course now my music taste is much, much wider.

DSCF1460.jpg

DSCF1462.jpg

Close up

DSCF1463.jpg

I used to be, before I lost my stereo. Vinyl is the way to go, period. If you are willing to spend the time, nothing sounds as good.

I would state, however, that a good turntable properly set up is going to make all the difference. I don't know what you have now or what you are looking to spend to replace it, but what you have might very well be better than what you would get. I would educate yourself a little before you do.

I say this because the technology of cartridges and turntables has come a long way, and you may find yourself in shock with how good they can sound.

Yup, been collecting for about a year now. I guess I'm up to, say, 50 records? It's nice to see the rebirth of vinyl happening just when I've started buying it myself. Also, vinyl is supposedly the only part of the music industry that's making profit and going up in sales now =D>

My current turntable is busted, it was a mistake to buy it in the first place so I am starting from zero from that perspective, I do not want to shell out the money for a Technics, I am going the Audio Technica route, you know direct drive and decent built for lighter use. I have a good Sony receiver with a dedicated phono input and speaker cabs with 10" woofers.

I found a vintage Shure M44-7 cartridge and stylus in NOS condition back home, that will be going on eBay.

DSCF1458.jpg

My current turntable is busted, it was a mistake to buy it in the first place so I am starting from zero from that perspective, I do not want to shell out the money for a Technics, I am going the Audio Technica route, you know direct drive and decent built for lighter use. I have a good Sony receiver with a dedicated phono input and speaker cabs with 10" woofers.

I found a vintage Shure M44-7 cartridge and stylus in NOS condition back home, that will be going on eBay.

DSCF1458.jpg

was not even close to recommending shelling out money for a technics. Not that they are bad, just not worth the money.

Maybe check out echohifi.com. The echo audio website. They do used almost exclusively.

I'll take a look, thanks for the tip.

I am excited about playing my vinyls again, there is just something about sitting down to actually listen to music and look at the artwork and read the liner notes.

I've been collecting since I was 12.

Below is a pic of about half of my collection. I have around 1,000 albums. I haven't counted lately, it could be more.

I began my collection in Hawaii. It has traveled to Georgia, and has been in California for the last 25 years. It means a great deal to me.

I love going to used Record/CD stores and going thru all the old music. Sometimes you can find some really cool stuff, really cheap.

tn-1.jpg

my most recent purchases, Black Flag's Nervous Breakdown, and Slip It In both in pristine condition.

And a very nice original press of the Buzzcocks A Different Kind Of Tension from 78.

and the most recent Social distortion album.

Dual disc yellow trans vinyl.

I had a stout little collection rare Ska and Reggae,

with a few rare studio one releases including an original pressing of the first Wailing Wailers album from 65.

That was till' my hose in NOLA flooded in '05.

The water killed the jackets and the heat killed the vinylmsp_crying.gif

I went to someone's house once. He had a room just for listening. All there was, was a chair and his equipment.

Two speakers, turntable and amp. It was worth a fortune. But the sound!

It was like they were in the room with you.

Fantastic.

Yea, I have seen the limited editions and all of that stuff, I am planning on just collecting the original stuff and i will be selective, nothing too expensive.

I have some stuff that I did not remember immediately why I own but then I remembered that as teenagers we were so broke that we used to share records within our group and tried not to buy duplicates so we could listen to more stuff.

Here are a few albums, notice the early Metal stuff and also some classics, of course now my music taste is much, much wider.

DSCF1460.jpg

DSCF1462.jpg

Close up

DSCF1463.jpg

Wow! [woot]

Thats impressive, i only own 4 vinyls sadly. I always look for more, im not a fan of buying them online.

I have been listening to and collecting vinyl records since 1966. A lot of my albums are promotional copies, because when I moved from San Diego to Denver in 1974, I got a job at a distributor that supplied LP's, 8 track, and cassette tapes to the local K-Mart stores and record stores in Colorado. I have 3 turntables, a dual cassette deck, and CD player. About a year ago I purchased a 1978 Sony STR-V7 (150 watts RMS) receiver at a pawn shop for $20. It is as big as a microwave oven and weighs 50 lbs. Sound is excellent! These are great places to find good deals on stereo equipment if you know what you are looking for. A good place to buy vinyl in Denver is a store called Wax Trax. My record collection is the only thing I have left from my youth that I have been able to hang on to. I once owned a Gibson SG Standard and Fender Deluxe (non-reverb) amp that I purchased new in 1969. As with age some things just seem to get away from you. Enjoy vinyl, it is the best recorded music you will ever hear. If you want to see some good equipment from the 60's and 70's visit www.oaktreent.com for reference.

I have been listening to and collecting vinyl records since 1966. A lot of my albums are promotional copies, because when I moved from San Diego to Denver in 1974, I got a job at a distributor that supplied LP's, 8 track, and cassette tapes to the local K-Mart stores and record stores in Colorado. I have 3 turntables, a dual cassette deck, and CD player. About a year ago I purchased a 1978 Sony STR-V7 (150 watts RMS) receiver at a pawn shop for $20. It is as big as a microwave oven and weighs 50 lbs. Sound is excellent! These are great places to find good deals on stereo equipment if you know what you are looking for. A good place to buy vinyl in Denver is a store called Wax Trax. My record collection is the only thing I have left from my youth that I have been able to hang on to. I once owned a Gibson SG Standard and Fender Deluxe (non-reverb) amp that I purchased new in 1969. As with age some things just seem to get away from you. Enjoy vinyl, it is the best recorded music you will ever hear. If you want to see some good equipment from the 60's and 70's visit www.oaktreent.com for reference.

Oh man, when I first moved into Chicago in the early 80s I lived just a couple block up Lincoln Avenue from the old Chicago Wax Trax. Spent a lot of time there, and at Gramophone Records as well. I've still got most of the 1,000 or so LPs I've collected over the years, but only recently started listening to them again. I'd picked up a few things that were only released on vinyl and decided to update the cartridge on my old Denon turntable and off I went. Obviously I've got a lot of dupes on vinyl and CD, but there's definitely a different quality between the two.

I have over 10,000 records on vinyl, lots of promos and special colored vinyls too. I even have some asetates which are cut in the mastering process and used to make the stamp that presses the records... I was a DJ for many years back in the day....

Yep - I currently have about 400 misc LP and 40-50 78's that are mostly old jazz and blues stuff that never showed up on cassette let alone CD. ABout half the collection was mine the other half came from friends etc that wanted me to copy their records as MP3 and then they would say oh you can keep the originals or just throw it out if you don't want it. Some of the best covers I frame and use as art in my studio so dual purpose.

Many rock musicians today are enthusiastic about 'analogue' sounds

And I believe Vinyl goes with this ethos

The size, ownership, artwork etc particularly from the 60's onward gave Vinyl a special place in music collection

In some ways the world had digital technology forced upon it with CD's, DAT's et al

I remember my grandparents' shellac 78's played on a 'trumpet' record player

I think Vinyl today, as well as the great warm analogue sound, is a reaction to the invisible mp3/download world we now live in...

V

:-({|=

A good friend of my brothers bought a warehouse a few years ago. It contained loads of equipment for pressing vinyl records. Some he refurbished but much was in great shape.

His intent was to produce records on a small scale for his indie label but now because of the resurgence of the vinyl album many of the major labels are using him and it's become huge for him financially.

You just never know.

Archived