Gibson Brands Forums

Boycott for Pia

retrosurfer1959

My wife and I went to lunch today at a small local restaurant where the main topic of conversation for at least 25 people was American Idol and the travesty of Pia being sent home. After hearing the really upset people and all their thoughts and their amazing knowledge of details about the show and the contestants I decided that from now on I'm supporting Pia and like many others I'm not going to watch the show anymore - Who's with Me! [lol]

My wife says that I get no credit for supporting Pia, and that my opinion about boycotting the show doesn't really count because I don't watch American Idol anyway and have never actually heard Pia sing, but hey I did look at a press photo of Pia on my IPhone and I heard a 30 second sample of her song and she was pretty good and cute as hell, which counts for something right? Plus the fact that they have Jenny on the Block and Randy Jackson as music experts that should mean that my lack of knowledge about the show can't be held against me right.

So all you guys that don't watch American Idol anyway, well now you have a better reason that people will understand better than you telling them that you think the show is almost as lame as Glee. So now you can say you don't watch Idol anymore because your supporting Pia!!!

Good to see that with all the problems in the world our priorities are still intact.

I don't watch it because I feel that a true musician should have to pay their dues in order to make it to the top. Play in dives and not so nice places gives most musicians a sense of reality. A.I just exposes them to the limelight quick (yes some do actually play/sing in bars). It's all for the almighty dollar.

Preeetty much everyone who has won has used the AI venue for what it is, a chance at a break in their already established careers. There is a guy this year who has a band out of Murfreesboro. He's good, and has been gigging for years. Looks like he's trying to take the Chris Daughtry approach... get some notoriety and a contract ( virtually everyone who makes the top 10 ends up with a contract) and use it to launch the band.

To me, being a musician and saying "I hate American Idol and everything it stands for", is the exact same thing as saying "I hate the recording industry and everything it stands for", as I see AI as a microcosm of the larger industry. It is just my (rather unpopular on this board) opinion, though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwhBRJStz7w

It's rigged. . . . dry.gif

No. Rigged implies some underhanded methodology. The contract the contestants sign clearly state at what point the producers will begin to overrule "America's Vote".

With sites like "vote for the worst" up, I can't say I blame them.

Preeetty much everyone who has won has used the AI venue for what it is, a chance at a break in their already established careers. There is a guy this year who has a band out of Murfreesboro. He's good, and has been gigging for years. Looks like he's trying to take the Chris Daughtry approach... get some notoriety and a contract ( virtually everyone who makes the top 10 ends up with a contract) and use it to launch the band.

To me, being a musician and saying "I hate American Idol and everything it stands for", is the exact same thing as saying "I hate the recording industry and everything it stands for", as I see AI as a microcosm of the larger industry. It is just my (rather unpopular on this board) opinion, though...

I'm with you Chan. That girl has a fantastic voice and anyone here who loves music, I think that's everyone, would be blown away if they heard her.

She is hot as h3ll but she's very talented and I think we'll be hearing more from her. As has been stated in a recent thread, there are talented musicians out there.

We just have to look. This is just another place to look. It's fine to put down the show and all you think it stands for but they are just people trying to make it in a

difficult and competitive industry. Besides, it is a vacation from politics, wars and disasters for a few minutes each week.

Me, my daughter and my wife watch the show every week. We were devastated by Pia's dismissal. I know America got it wrong this year. She should have won the whole thing.

I'm getting sick of Randy, he needs to go. I like Jennifer better than Paula. Steven Tyler makes the show this year, hope he stays for a long time.

I will continue to watch the show. Don't care what anyone says, there is some real talent on there. Don't care too much for Scotty, but that's just me. Since Pia is gone :angry: it's up for grabs and anyone can win. The judges should have saved their "save" for Pia, but what's done is done.

I can't boycott the show, because it wasn't them, it was the voters. America made a big mistake. [sad]

But, don't some of the "runner's up," and even further down the line,

contestants, often do well...even when they don't win AI? Sorry, I

don't watch it...don't have "TV," except for DVD's. But, I seem to

remember, several of those contestants, in the past, that have done

quite well, despite being "cut," from AI. So, Pia will do just fine,

I have a feeling. Besides, "America" elected/put the current Government

together...that shows what THEY know! LOL ;>)

CB

But, don't some of the "runner's up," and even further down the line,

contestants, often do well...even when they don't win AI? Sorry, I

don't watch it...don't have "TV," except for DVD's. But, I seem to

remember, several of those contestants, in the past, that have done

quite well, despite being "cut," from AI. So, Pia will do just fine,

I have a feeling. Besides, "America" elected/put the current Government

together...that shows what THEY know! LOL ;>)

CB

[lol]

Fantasia let it slip on the show that EVERYONE in the top 10 gets a contract. The only exception I can think of was the karaoke chick from season 1 who,, inexplicably, took 3rd. Last I heard she was still doing karaoke in her basement....

Archived