Gibson Brands Forums

My fingernail is failing me... what to do.

Riverside

I don't like picks.

I like how all of my electrics (heck, all of my guitars of any kind) sound when using my fingers, and sometimes (a lot of the time), I like using the nail of my index finger on my picking hand where I might otherwise use a pick.

Lately though, my nail is failing me in-so-far as I've developed a groove at the end, and it seems to have developed into a kind of a trough that extends all the way back to the nail bed. Ick.

Super-glue to the rescue, or is there some other accepted method (short of using a GD pick) to which I might resort?

I don't like picks.

I like how all of my electrics (heck, all of my guitars of any kind) sound when using my fingers, and sometimes (a lot of the time), I like using the nail of my index finger on my picking hand where I might otherwise use a pick.

Lately though, my nail is failing me in-so-far as I've developed a groove at the end, and it seems to have developed into a kind of a trough that extends all the way back to the nail bed. Ick.

Super-glue to the rescue, or is there some other accepted method (short of using a GD pick) to which I might resort?

Yeah! Same here, my nail is getting all icky. I'm actually going to talk to my lady friend today to see how I can strengthen my nail, she is into all that stuff

Super Glue is my prescribed method of fingernail repair.

Before I started using Super Glue I used regular clear fingernail polish. It's a lot easier to work with and you can easily build up multi coats.

On a related side note, I have a classical guitar player friend that actually has his nails professionally done, trimmed, shaped, manicure, clear-coat, the whole works. His wife does her own.

Super Glue is my prescribed method of fingernail repair.

Before I started using Super Glue I used regular clear fingernail polish. It's a lot easier to work with and you can easily build up multi coats.

On a related side note, I have a classical guitar player friend that actually has his nails professionally done, trimmed, shaped, manicure, clear-coat, the whole works. His wife does her own.

Thanks for that. I might just lay down a few courses of CA and see how that plays out.

I can completely understand a professional going to to whatever lengths required - but I'm nowhere near that level of complexity.

Now, my toes are another thing altogether -

Aw, forget it.

The problem with super glue is that it doesn't last forever, and as you shower and get it wet it gets harder and very brittle and eventually breaks (oxygen catalist).

Of corse, the real problem is the nail never seems to be totally reliable, as it can always break. To make matters worse, it seems that whenever I replace a nail, it seems to take a little getting used to agian as it is always a little different.

Having said all that, I haven't really found anything that works better than super glue, and haven't found the perfect nail. But for the most part, if I am playing a lot, I will cut a few nails to fit the finger at the same time and have them ready to go at a moments notice and keep them in the bag with the batteries, and also when I glue them on, I try not to use too much glue in case it breaks and I have to peel it off.

Really, the best piece of advise I think I can offer is plan on them breaking and be ready. It does not make sense to make them bullet proof (which you can by sanding your real nail first and having glue into your cuticles) because chances are pretty good the glue will deteriorate the nail and it will break before it falls off.

I don't like picks.

i think you should learn to play guitar the right way...with a plectrum.

Way back in my olden days all the college age bare-finger pickers were using a product called "hard as nails" and/or clear nail polish. Me too.

Then... Naaah, I couldn't prove to myself I was doing all that much better with than without. They're gonna break, they're gonna break.

You may wanna watch several Chet Atkins things. He used a rounded-end thumbpick and bare fingers as far as I can tell. I've watched vids of him using the thumbpick for some "flatpicking" passages. But keep reading below. He also seems to be more brushing that rounded end than plucking the string.

Except on banjo or 12 string, I never got into the thumb and fingerpick thing. So...

Basically I think bare fingers with proper "classical guitar" technique likely is the best approach. I dunno what I'd do were I a real pro at it, but on the other hand, I think you've gotta figure how you're gonna keep playing if the nails are broken. Again, the technique mentioned below works if you don't end up trying too hard.

Regardless of style, I think you'll put the most stress on the nails with a "frozen joint" approach, either clawing upward or flicking downward. Addressing the string with a "loose final finger joint" approach to keep from clawing the string likely is "the" way to go. It's making the finger like a brush, not a claw.

For what it's worth, that's also the approach for what's variously been called Stoneman or Carter Family style autoharp playing and/or the Carter Family Scratch. The thumb and finger picks are not clawed into the strings, but brushed across them. Ditto with pickin' the five-string.

Also, although I'm primarily a fingerpicker, when I've done bluegrassy/old time sorts of pickin', I can be relatively comfortable with a flatpick, but try to keep it with the same technical concept of brushing strings as opposed to clawing them. Even Grandpa Jones' "frailing" obviously was done with even the thumb doing more of a brush than a pluck.

The perceived problem arises in it all when you think you want more volume and start fighting the strings, I think. That's where I think personally you're best off rethinking what you're doing and mike yourself or use an AE, or turn up the amp on an electric stedda clawing at the strings that slow your technique, breaks fingernails and strings and doesn't really sound all that good anyway. Yes, the heavier the strings, the more pressure for the "brush," but... <grin> it's hard not to claw for that greater volume, but it's an error, I think.

EDIT: RE Flamenco. I saw around 15-20 feet from Carlos Montoya in concert many years ago and didn't notice anything terribly unusual about his nails compared to mine today or many classical pickers I've met.

m

Nails are made up of keratin cells that harden as they grow out of the nail root. The roots have blood vessels and nerves that supply nutrients to the nail.

Using a artificial nail will weaken you're fingernails in the long run because they cover the nail blocking them from air not allowing them to breath, and can cause fungus infections.

Caring for nails can be a pain. The players I know who are really serious go to extremes to keep them "healthy".

The first key is to apply a good hand lotion to the cuticles several times every day, wear rubber gloves when handling any chemicals like cleaners, car polish, window cleaners, dish soap, paint, paint removers. Rub Vitamin E oil into the cuticle every night, just use a capsule of Vitamin E, stick it with a pin and squeeze it out onto each cuticle. Take calcium once a day.

Instead of using clippers get high quality nail stones and use them every day. Clipping once a week is OK but just trim.

Use a high quality nail hardener (Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails is good). Apply every day and you will never need to remove it, NEVER USE A ACETONE POLISH REMOVER!!!!!! You can use toothpaste to clean your nails, gently rub it on each nail...

With in two weeks you should see a change in the color of your fingernails....

The other thing you can do is make a gelatin nail soak. Pour 1 cup of boiling water over 1/2 oz. of plain gelatin in a mixing bowl, stir it with a wooden spoon or a plastic stirrer (no metal). Pour the mix into several shot glasses and when the mix cools of soak each fingernail for ten minuets. Do this every two weeks.

I used Alaska Finger Picks when I played several hours each night. They fit under the nail and once you get use to them you will love them...trim them just like you would a fingernail..

http://alaskapik.com/

You should ask a woman: There are all sorts of products to harden nails.

I don't know if it's available in the States, but my girlfriend uses something called "siliceous earth" or "silica". It's natural; in Europe one can buy it in health food stores and drug stores; and it is supposedly very good for strengthening the nails and hair (according to her [biggrin]). You have to take it for a few weeks before the effects become noticeable.

I don't like picks.

There is an American classical guitarist called Ben Verdery who experienced consistent breakages so uses ping pong balls. He cuts the required nail shape and glues them on his nail. My friend Logan (his former student) plays using this way and his classical guitar tone is warm and full, so it does work, even though it may sound a little unauthadox.

Matt

Interesting thread........Jason50, great link and idea; I learn so much on this forum; you all are awesome............[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] .......

I use the plastic Alaska Picks on my fingers and a cut down heavy thumb pick on my thumb, cut it down very low. Works great...

Putting my amateur farrier's cap.

You have a split hoof. Best you can do is baby it until the end of the split grows out. Staples have been used to good effect to hold the two halves together. Keep it dry and clean and well shoed. It is caused by too much stress on the nail. The Good Lord didn't create fingernails for raking across steel strings, so I suspect this will be a recurring problem for you from now on.

There are various hoof strengthening preparations available at Farm, Feed and Tack stores. No, seriously, this may work, as a hoof and finger nail are both made of keratin. The stuff is like thin fingernail polish, but it bonds to the nail better. It's sold in quarts and smells like a quart of nail polish until it dries. Paint the un-split nails to keep them from doing the same thing. You'll probably need to baby the split one and not use it for a few months. Might also want to consult a manicurist.

I'm thinking 5 minute epoxy would work the best. Thick coverage. good adhesion and can be buffed and polished very well...

By the way my nail on my index finger has never lost the groove and is always thin on the end regardless if I don't play for months....

Archived