Gibson Brands Forums

So i played one of those custom shop fender relic guitars a few days ago and it change my mind about em...

dem00n

They are beat up guitars but has anyone really played one of the expensive ones? I was amazed how good it was, if i had the cash i would buy it. It was just a really good ******* tele. It's one of those guitars you ran across on that no one really likes and it just shines for you. It had a hefty price tag but it didnt matter, it was just so god damn good...

I think it was one of these.

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/fender/custom_tele/r41462/r41462.php

If you see one, go try it. Go empty minded though!

I wish I could be enthusiastic about Teles in general...

...my disinterest in them makes me feel like I'm not a real guitarist.

I know how you feel, i dont pickup any guitars with EMG's. [flapper]

Ya know.. I've played one too and thought the neck was the most amazing thing ever, and it sounded awesome, but I still wouldn't buy one. Not just because I couldn't afford one anyways, I just can't get over the whole stigma that goes with them. It's pretty superficial of me, I know.

Btw dem00n and xDemon my friend showed me a song by death yesterday and it was really cool. I don't know what it was called but it was on an album that was kinda light blue with an eyeball and some stuff on it or something. The picture was really small and I was kinda stoned so I don't know.. But I think he said it was their first album.

The drums were really fast and there were some chorus-y guitar parts. It was ****in sweet. That probly describes like every song by them and I don't realize it but whatever it was cool. I see why you guys dig them. It really struck me as a more modern interpretation of jazz. I realize it didn't come out yesterday and it's metal.. But I dunno the song structure was pretty reminiscent of jazz to me. It was kinda conflicting or something. It was pretty inspiring, really.

Ya know.. I've played one too and thought the neck was the most amazing thing ever, and it sounded awesome, but I still wouldn't buy one. Not just because I couldn't afford one anyways, I just can't get over the whole stigma that goes with them. It's pretty superficial of me, I know.

What stigma goes with a Tele?

I mean are you guys musicians or what?

I got a few Tele Guitars and I think that they make me play better. I have to pay more attention to what I am doing when playing them. I like mine but don't play them as much as my Gibsons. Took my Tele to an outdoor Music Fest last night because I didn't want to expose the Gibsons to the change from Air Conditioning to the Heat and humidity of the evening.

Dude... My main guitar is a tele. We're talking about "relics" here..

I started playing Teles in 1970 and still have that one and quite a few others. It's just what you're used to.

I don't find it too different picking up my Les Paul or Sheraton, just a different feel. And, the poster is right -

Teles put out what you put in, nothing else. So, it does keep you on your toes. To me, a Tele is a lot like

an acoustic. Just a fretboard and some strings. But, that's a good feel for me. Gibsons are similar in that

regard. Unlike Strats, that color the sound with phasing and the springy tone that comes from the bridge.

None of that going on with a Tele or Les Paul.

As much as I love Strats and Teles I wouldn't have a reliced one even if someone gave it to me,if I did I'd have to get it refinished to new condition.Taking a new guitar and beating the tar out of the finish to make it look like it had years of playing makes as much sense as buying a new car and getting parking lot dings on the fenders and bumpers and cigarette burns and wear and tear on the upholstery and on the carpets.It's just another form of poseurism as far as I'm concerned.

I have played many of the Custom shop Teles (NOS and relic'd) at Wildwood and have been extremely impressed.

Not a huge fan of the relic look, however most of the ones I played were extremely comfortable and sounded amazing.

I prefer the NOS versions better.

In fact, this NOS 59 Tele followed me home about 6 months ago

(Masterbuilt Todd Krause, Braz Board, Abby P'ups) Outstanding guitar.

DSC00438.jpg

217386_1992645943756_1471628963_2242866_7141320_n.jpg

Tele Time!

I don't mind "relic" guitars as long as it doesn't go WAY overboard with it...But I'd rather do the damage instead of someone else, the only plus's is that they play great..(I've played a Roadword, and a Custom Relic Tele) Especially the necks..

Archived