Gibson Brands Forums

ringing ears

chris.

Awesome, one of my best friends has a JCM800 with a full stack and anytime we roll that one out of his closet we all put in ear plugs, yeah were pansies but that crap gets loud! I probably do more damage when I see concerts though, no ear plugs there :P I am already slightly deaf in my left ear so when I have to talk to people I dont like on the phone I use my left ear.

My ears have been ringing for the last 20 years or so. Between all the loud music, Guns and a long treatment with Tobramycin while in the hospital my ears are a problem with at least 50% hearing loss on the left and 20% on the right. It's a pain in the *** to have your ears ring constantly drives me crazy at night so take care of your hearing while you still have it. A set of good musician ear plug fit by a professional should be at the top of every serious guitar players list.

Ringing in the ears is a sign of tinnitus and it should serveas a warning that you are exposing your ears to volumes that in time could have a very detrimental effect on your hearing.You will either have to turn down or wear some kind of hearing protection.I always have a pair of Vater Percussion earplugs in my effects bag and they come with interchangable baffles that can filter out loud volumes without compromising the sound quality.Don't ignore the warning that your ears are giving you as hearing loss can be very gradual,so much so as you wouldn't notice but it is usually permanent.I was amazed a couple of years ago when I developed tinnitus and got my ears checked and both my ears tested at 100%,the audiologist was surprised too as a normal person over 50 has some degree of hearing loss but for a musician who spent over 40 years gigging it's almost impossible.

HUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH???????? [biggrin] My ears ring constantly... Caffeine and Blood Pressure, Allergies, 100 watt Marshalls and snare drums can contribute as well. It sucks and can get to the point of miserable at times and I have lost some of my hearing at age 42.... Be careful....

Andy

HUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH???????? [biggrin] My ears ring constantly... Caffeine and Blood Pressure, Allergies, 100 watt Marshalls and snare drums can contribute as well. It sucks and can get to the point of miserable at times and I have lost some of my hearing at age 42.... Be careful....

Andy

recently at my church they moved around the stage and i am now placed right beside an acoustic drum kit that can get a bit overbearing but still havnt had any ringing in months i had to turn down about a year ago because of neighborhood complients i had a old peavy bandit and would crank the daylights out of that when my family was out and jam for hours on end got a decent tone probably from the speaker break up cause i cranked it so loud just didnt sound the same at lower volumes which i had to play at when the family was home but it did have a nice clean sound that sounded great at low levels

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

My constant companion zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ears ringing after a show?

You need ear plugs. Otherwise you will be doing a lot of , "eh? What did you say?", before you are 50.

I wouldn't brag about ringing ears, it's a symptom of hearing loss. Hearing loss cannot be fixed, short of an implant like Rush Limbaugh's.

After a Tad* show in ninety three, I started wearing earplugs at shows. After trying different high-ish fidelity musicians earplugs, I spent the cash and got a nice set of custom fit musicians plugs. Best investment I ever made. I need to play loudly and feel the push of my amp, hit those tubes' sweet spot, and get the thunder of my drummer's kit. These plugs allow me to do that without a muffled sound and still retain my hearing.

Musicians earplugs have come a long way in just the past five years. I highly recommend investing in a pair. Tinnitus is not a fun thing to deal with.

*Seattle grunge band from the early nineties lead by a *huge* dude named Tad Doyle. They brought hundred watt Marshall stacks to a hundred fifty person capacity club. Stood by the stage and my left ear ain't been the same since.

After a Tad* show in ninety three, I started wearing earplugs at shows. After trying different high-ish fidelity musicians earplugs, I spent the cash and got a nice set of custom fit musicians plugs. Best investment I ever made. I need to play loudly and feel the push of my amp, hit those tubes' sweet spot, and get the thunder of my drummer's kit. These plugs allow me to do that without a muffled sound and still retain my hearing.

Musicians earplugs have come a long way in just the past five years. I highly recommend investing in a pair. Tinnitus is not a fun thing to deal with.

*Seattle grunge band from the early nineties lead by a *huge* dude named Tad Doyle. They brought hundred watt Marshall stacks to a hundred fifty person capacity club. Stood by the stage and my left ear ain't been the same since.

how much do these usually cost? and are there any other brands to consider that might be better or less expensive?

A buddy of mine went to the doctor to see about getting a hearing aid. The doc said he could sell him one for $250 that would do nicely, but the one he had for $500 would give him considerably better results. However, he could get one for $1250 that would allow him to hear everything! So he told the doctor he wanted to hear everything, and he'd take the one for $1250.

So we're all sitting around at our Thursday poker night, and my buddy says, "I got me this new hearing aid, and it is great! I can hear everything as clear as a bell! I said, "Really, well how much did it cost?" He said, "It was about $1200, but I can hear everything!" I said, "Wow! What kind is it?" He said, "Oh, it's about 8:30..."

I really would recommend investing in a good pair of modern earplugs. I primarily played bass live, but my hearing is down 20% from normal on the left side because I stood on the right side of the stage, with that ear pointing towards a couple of Marshalls. As an old fart, I would also suggest that if a show makes your ears ring, it's probably damaging the audience's hearing too. . . . .

I'll weigh in on the ear plugs of some sort too...

I remember playing rock gigs in the 60s when I'd help pack, maybe a half hour, then a three hour drive home and I still couldn't even hear the water running in the shower when I got home and went to clean up before beddie bye.

As with Retro, add some regular personal firearms since I was a kid and a few cannons up to 155 mm shooting 15-30 feet away from me, and I don't even wanna know how much hearing loss I have.

But in those days nobody thought of hearing damage. If there's one good thing about today's circumstances, it's that even old guys like me are telling you young guys to protect what you have or you ain't gonna have it.

m

how much do these usually cost? and are there any other brands to consider that might be better or less expensive?

Something like these Hearos High Fidelity Plugs are $11. They'll work.

For what I got, I paid $250 from here. This included a hearing exam and the custom fit plugs (they take a mold of your ear canal). The filters on mine are either 12 or 15db which is about right for me. And since they are custom fit I can wear them for hours on end and be in extreme comfort. I found that the Hearos type ones can dig your ear after a while.

My ears ring every minute of every day from decades of playing shows, going to shows, and Motorhead shows (a db category of its own). Wear your earplugs every time you go to a show, crank your amp, or play with a drummer. Every time.

Cheap foam plugs with a 30 db reduction are available at the drugstore. They work.

Something like these Hearos High Fidelity Plugs are $11. They'll work.

For what I got, I paid $250 from here. This included a hearing exam and the custom fit plugs (they take a mold of your ear canal). The filters on mine are either 12 or 15db which is about right for me. And since they are custom fit I can wear them for hours on end and be in extreme comfort. I found that the Hearos type ones can dig your ear after a while.

thanks for the tip man me and my dad might buy some of those 11 dollar ones

I used the standard plugs for a while and they do help but they are uncomfortable and deaden everything including voices that you might need to hear I finally spent the money on a custom made set and It was probably the best $300 I have spent in my life. I just wish I would have done it 20+ years ago, then I might be still be able to hear what people were saying in a bar or restaurant without reading lips. I know it seems like a needless expense when your young and $300 could buy a lot of stuff thats more fun then ear plugs, but listen to us older guys that didn't know any better and protect your ears.

My ears have been ringing constantly for about 3 or 4 years. Been to the doctor but looks like its never gonna go away so you just have to live with it. Hope it doesn't happen to you. I wish I had listened to everyone one who told me not to listen to music so loudly, specially in my car. Working as a Sound Engineer and in clubs didn't help either. Use ear plugs...

Do yourself and your ears a favor.

1) Get a sound level meter (you can get an inexpensive one at Radio Shack)

2) Set it to "A" weighting and "Slow" response

3) Keep the volume reaching your ear drums to be 85db or less by either turning down the volume or using appropriate ear filters.

Anything over 85db can permanently damage your ears whether you experience ringing or not.

A word to the wise.

Notes ♫

Archived