Gibson Brands Forums

Goldtop Riv P93 ... NOW with pics!

midiman56

We got one in at the store and I have to say ... erm ...no! For some reason, the finish that I love so much on a Les Paul just doesn't work for me on a larger instrument like the Riviera. I love the Royale version and the original wine red, but this girl was just looking more like an Army Issue olive drab.

I promise to snap a couple of pics tomorrow so you can see it for yourself.

Jim

EDIT: I guess it's not really as bad as I made it out to be ... and moving it closer to a natural light source did take some of the "green" out of it, but it's still not my "cuppa"! Here are some pics for you judge for yourself:

Kat modeling the latest version of the P93 Riviera ...

IMG_0145.jpg

Here you can see the brown back ... just like the LP GT:

IMG_0143.jpg

I dunno ... maybe a black pickguard would help?

IMG_0141.jpg

Gold top, black pickups, cream pickguard, chrome bigsby, gold knobs ... this baby is just too "all over the place" for me! [blink]

J.

This might sound like a "Duh," but...did you take it outside, or near a window,

with "natural" light? From my past experience, some types of In-Store lighting,

can greatly alter the color. Some finishes, more than others. So...??? But, I too,

will look forward, to your photos. ;>)

CB

I kinda agree with you that the Goldtop Rivieras don't look quite right. But I don't think it's just a body size issue, because the gold looks great on the Jack Casady signature bass, which is a very similar body.

Paint on guitars ain't my thing really, like to see wood [flapper]

Ya' never know, there maybe some that have a poor or knotty grain and this is just an excuse to cover them up and charge a premium for the privilege, like crumbed steak at a restaurant, LOL.

I Like It! But then, I love "Gold Top" guitars, anyway. ;>) If/when I get one, I will

(personally) either remove the pickguard entirely, or add cream colored pickup covers, or

a black pickguard. The mixing of black and cream, doesn't do it justice...IMHO. But, those are

easy fixes, really. I (really) may have to get one, now...if the construction and playability

are up to the previous(Wine Red) P-93's, or better?

Thanks, Midiman, for the photos...(just curious...did you photograph it in direct sun, for comparison?

Just near a window, with reflected (blue sky) light would still cool it, some.

But, the gold seems ok, to me...given the obvious mixed light sources (window and store).

CB

Coming from a background of "display", I would have to agree with the comment that the actual color could be altered by the lamps used in the lighting. The Kelvin ratings in florescent lamps can really change colors. Certain ratings can make Meat look good, but Produce look horrible. I would never make a paint color decision without natural lighting. And the same should be said for what color that guitar really is. As for the "trim" colors, gold top with black accents (pickups, pickguards, etc) gets my vote.

Ya' never know, there maybe some that have a poor or knotty grain and this is just an excuse to cover them up and charge a premium for the privilege, like crumbed steak at a restaurant, LOL.

'The Epi Palmy & Pot'*

*Only available on Tuesday 'Forum Members' Nights with a Standard Beer, House Wine or Softdrink

Sorry... doesn't do it for me [-(

PS: I expect only the Aussie Mafia will 'get' this post ;)

That's actually not a bad color. I do agree, it

needs a black pickguard with those pups. That would

be a whole easier than changing the p/u's to cream.

But I like that look too.

I think MF is giving a free case with it this month too.

Pretty tempting.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived