Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson acoustic guitars

dem00n

I should point out first that I don't need an expensive fancy acoustic, I don't do KoomBaiYahs and Campfires. I've used an expensive Ovation out for a very long time, and it does me just fine recording too.

Gibsons, in my experience, range from Very Nice to eh. 'spensive. If'n I was spending that kinda money on an agnostic, it'd be a CFMartin and nothing else. But that's just me.

rct

I love the way they sound, especially the jumbo ones, but have never taken to the fretboards. Too broad and flat. A friend of my wife has a black Dove and she sings, but it is not the most comfortable thing for my sausage fingers.

For the past four years I have been playing a Taylor 110. Love the bare bones fret board and the neck. Sound is not as full and rich as a jumbo, but it holds its own against other acoustics in that price range.

Picking out any guitar should go by what sounds/plays/feels good to the buyer. I've owned several different brands over the years. IMO, it doesn't matter what brand you want to talk about - there are dogs and keepers no matter the brand - you've got to look.

Regarding Gibson acoustics - I like 'em and currently have J-200 in my stable. And I'll use that as an excuse to post a couple pics -

08GibsonSJ200front2.jpg

08GibsonSJ200backsm.jpg

^ looks a fair bit like my Washburn which also has a thin sound, although mine can be amplified.

I really need to do some research on a better quality acoustic.

Wouldn't mind a Jumbo style Gibson Acoustic, something like the JS-200 but without the frills.

I think Guild make something similar without the frills.

.... Wouldn't mind a Jumbo style Gibson Acoustic, something like the JS-200 but without the frills. ....

Gibson J-150 is the same as the J-200 without neck and headstock binding.

Gibson J-100 is more or less the same as a J-200 with dot markers, a plain pickguard, and without neck and headstock binding.

Love the looks and sound of Gibson acoustics but just can't get comfortable playing them.

I tried a number of different models and ended up with a Taylor. The Taylor justs feels right to me. I wanted to love the Gibsons like I love their electrics but it just wasn't there for me.

To each his own I guess.

Dave

Where's the Hit and Miss category? I played a J-200 that made me want a J-200 more than anything. That is until I went to the guitar store looking to actually buy one, only to find the two there were far less impressive than the one I'd played at a friends house.

Same thing happened with a J-45. Played one that was PERFECT, but the ones hanging right next to it were no better than the Epiphones hanging right under it.

Xdemon...

I've got a PR5E myself. Love it. A perfect fingerpicking machine. It ain't a dreadnaught, but I didn't expect it to be. I've got an old AE Ovation too.

Gibsons/Gibson designs I tend to prefer to Martins because of the necks. Martins are, I think, boomier in the bass side; work well for bluegrass.

I think a lotta people have to learn that different guitars require different technique to get the best from them, especially anything "acoustic." Even flatpickers... Wasn't it Matt Sear who noted a guitar teacher loved the sound a student got from a classical but couldn't himself make it get "that" tone?

There's a relationship between a picker and guitar with an acoustic, even an AE, that I think electric players don't quite get into. It's a combination of technique, how one holds the instrument, and a lot of teeeny playing/holding factors that mean almost nothing on an electric but a lot on an acoustic.

m

I love Gibby acoustics, I've only owned one, which was stolen by an ex-wife along with 20 other guitars.......

I also love specific Martins, Breedloves, Guilds ( new 12 strings, used and old for 6 strings ), and Taylors.......

SOME Epiphone acoustics are super awesome as well, for the price......

IMHO, Fender guitars play like, well, bricks.......

I'm still waiting on my LG1 to get back from the luthier, might start searching for a jumbo after my next amp purchase. I've never really connected with Fender acoustics and I don't like the sound of most Taylor acoustics, I do like Martins as well as Gibsons though.

My father in law is a Bob Dylan superfan. He owns the models of Gibson acoustics that appeared on Dylan's iconic album covers. He has 3 J-45s from whatever year in the 60s is THE year, a black jumbo just like from whatever album that was, and a new 'no-bird Hummingbird.'

I play them all, all the time. The J-45s all sound killer (balanced, rich, full, articulate tone for flatpicking or fingerpicking). But the neck are so friggin narrow it's almost like a Fender Jazz Bass. Eh.

The Jumbo has an ideal neck like a LP Custom, fat round 50s profile. Looks awesome too. But the tone has no meat or rump. Not as bad as an Ovation [gag/retch] but pretty thin. Maple top/sides/back I think? Eh.

The brand new 'no-bird Hummingbird' has a good feel and the right woods for the fat tone, but the tone is NOT fat, it's thinner than the Jumbo. And don't gimme that 'aged wood sounds better' BS. My 2005 Martin sounds better than all of the above.

Picking out any guitar should go by what sounds/plays/feels good to the buyer. I've owned several different brands over the years. IMO, it doesn't matter what brand you want to talk about - there are dogs and keepers no matter the brand - you've got to look.

Regarding Gibson acoustics - I like 'em and currently have J-200 in my stable. And I'll use that as an excuse to post a couple pics -

08GibsonSJ200front2.jpg

08GibsonSJ200backsm.jpg

Man... every time I see your J-200 I drool all over my keyboard.....

<Snip - Jannusguy pic of awesome acoustics>

Jannus - Love seeing that pic. Your exquisite CW gives me major GAS every time I see it. [thumbup]

Man... every time I see your J-200 I drool all over my keyboard.....

Your ladies are lookin' fine as ever. How's the new custom H'bird? . . B)

Archived