Gibson Brands Forums

I have to say

Silenced Fred

Cheers Shred and Fred that was interesting. I found the clips quite easy to enjoy and musically comortable. I was a little disappointed by just feeling comfortable though - in a musically perverse way, I was expecting something much more 'off the wall' and more crazy for my ears, like the first time I heard The Rite Of Spring when I was 17.

The OP reminds me or Religion, the very people that want to tell you all about their Religion and invite you to thier Church are the less likely to want to hear what you have to say about your Religion or go to your Church.

I like this analogy!

Matt

hate all you wan't, the guitar players are prtty good on the fingerboard [biggrin]

They are. And they're gettin paid for it, I am not, so they get madd props from me.

I still don't have to listen to them though, so I don't.

I hate no one. But I know contrived when I see it, and nobody is safe from my biting sword of internet bitterness dredged in old skool usenet comedy.

rct

They are. And they're gettin paid for it, I am not, so they get madd props from me.

I still don't have to listen to them though, so I don't.

I hate no one. But I know contrived when I see it, and nobody is safe from my biting sword of internet bitterness dredged in old skool usenet comedy.

rct

B)

This sounds like a That Metal Show rant, like Eddie's Hall of Shame rants or Don/Jim's funny complaints. I am not a big fan of Wilco, or bands of that sort. Its just not me. I don't get off on it. Although I consider myself pretty open-minded. From Anthrax to Buddy Guy, Zeppelin to Bob Marley, The Animals to Rush, Robin Trower to Marty Friedman, Frank Zappa to AC/DC. Wilco may not suit me but the sounds of Rush will always seduce me...

Speaking of Anthrax, I'm pretty sure that the newer down tuned metal/indie style music that you now see on the likes of the Kerrang channel stems from the '80s thrash bands who experimented by blending rap with thrash metal (perhaps after the Run DMC/Aerosmith collaboration.) Now those thrash acts cite bands like Motorhead as their influences......and Lemmy tells us that he just plays Rock 'n' Roll.

So without the stuff many of us oldies like, you're music would never have come about. And yes, your Kerrang channel stuff does all sound the same to me and my dad, at 76, still says that about my stuff to me too.

So, if you like melodic gravelly vocals and superb blues based playing, then behold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chGvAlMRick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w77YfeGePOg

First, note that I entered "teenhood" in the 1950s. It was an evolution of pop and country and it was expected around my house that I'd probably prefer the "kid" stations on the radio. I also loved some of the jazz stuff one could hear on radio and/or television.

Then when I started getting folkie, I did some bluegrass stuff on banjo. My freshman college year I took home guitar and banjo and was playing "Jesse James" with a metal mute on the bridge of the banjo when Dad stuck his head in the door to suggest I was sounding like the "hillbillies" he'd known in the service in WWII. Then he shook his head.

The rock stuff of the era didn't faze him.

BTW, a lotta "parents" liked the Beatles but didn't care that much for the Stones - but a lot depended on their own musical upbringing, I think.

m

Archived