Gibson Brands Forums

The most genuine Les Paul tone?

The Metallian

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just get a Les Paul Traditional or a studio. Try some amps in a shop But it's in the hands. You'll get all the info you need here. What's your budget? What gear have you got now? How far is your standard of playing? What player's sound do you like? Lots of questions.

A Les Paul traditional will get you real close. I guess the closest would be a 59 reissue with Burstbuckers 1 and 2, a little pricy though.

Most genuine LP tone??? For what genre? Les Paul's own "Les Paul"

tone would be the most "genuine" LP tone, to me. But, in relation

to Rock, or (WB) Blues...probably Mike Bloomfield, early Eric Clapton,

and Duane Allman, Dickey Betts, Peter Green. I've always liked Blodwyn Pig's

Mick Abrahams' tone, as well, although his guitar was often an SG "Les Paul."

1st, the player, and 2nd, the amp, are the bigger factors...IMHO.

CB

Hello!

I´m struggling with what guitar to buy.

If I want the most genuine LP tone with outstanding substain, what should I look for then?

And what makes that tone? (Body, neck, top?)

Thanks!

In all seriousness, to answer your question, as far as guitars go,

the Les Paul Custom! Outstanding "Les Paul Tone," and remarkable

sustain, with little to no effort.

CB

I disagree, and the reason why is in every store that sells the LP Studio. If thats true then Gibson would have never came out with the studio which was designed to play in the studio without all the bling. All LP's sound the same, the difference is the person who plays it.

Have to disagree with you on this one a bit.

Even Identical twins have different finger prints. No two guitars sound exactly the same. Some may be negligible but some can be quite dramatic even from the same production run. Also, even some of "The people who play them" find certain ones they like better than others tonally ... msp_biggrin.gif

Andy

All LP's sound the same, the difference is the person who plays it.

I can't agree with you there, that's like saying all Stratocaster's sound the same... which is definitely not the case. Now if they do to your ears then count yourself lucky, but for the extremely picky like myself who can find major differences in tone among Les Paul's it tends to make guitar shopping a tedious process. I can and have turned down dozens of the exact same model until I found the right guitar that just felt right, sounds right and makes me want to play.

As for which one has the most genuine Les Paul tone that's for you to decide really, the Les Paul Traditional did it for me. But the Studio's a great sound too that's not that far removed from the tone of today's Standard's, an excellent value.

I disagree, and the reason why is in every store that sells the LP Studio. If thats true then Gibson would have never came out with the studio which was designed to play in the studio without all the bling. All LP's sound the same, the difference is the person who plays it.

This is so not sense making I'm not even sure where to start. "designed to play in the studio without all the bling"? huh? The tape machine knows if yer using a bling-y guitar or not? The kid in the transcamaro wants a record made with more bling-y or less bling-y guitars? How does that work? Seriously.

"All LPs sound the same"?

I think you can only say that if you've only ever played one Les Paul.

rct

Guest farnsbarns

when I bought my standard (pre chambering) I played about 15, every single one was different. When I bought my R6 I got lucky, it was only about the 5th or 6th and the first one I played with the money in my pocket.

every LP I've played was slightly different, as for current standards, well they are a different guitar if you ask me.

I'm sorry but a Studio sounds like a Traditional sounds like a Custom and sounds like a Standard the only real variance is the person who is playing that guitar and of course the amp. Gibson has many pickups and except for the new active humbuckers they all pretty much sound the same since all the humbuckers are modeled after the 57 which used to be known as the PAF.

I disagree, firmly. Gibson 57s do not sound like 490s. The 490s are supposed to be modern updates to the 57, but to my ears they might as well be made by different manufacturers.

I disagree, firmly. Gibson 57s do not sound like 490s. The 490s are supposed to be modern updates to the 57, but to my ears they might as well be made by different manufacturers.

I couldn't agree more, apples and oranges to say the least.

The OP

If you have the money and want the look and sound of a good Les Paul I agree the Les Paul Traditional is a great choice.

As far as guitars sounding different its because they react to the person who plays them. This is why someone like EVH who has been through many different guitar companies, pickups and amps yet his tone is basically still the same.

+1

Of all musical instruments; electric guitars companies in particular, use a 'belief system' form of marketing that so many people buy into. I often think of the emperor clothes story with a lot of examples of Gibson's guitars and the way the same thing is sold again with the slightest alteration, yet given a dramatic new name (and inflated price).

Matt

It would help if you gave us an example of this tone you're looking for, but let's start with what you probably want...

1. A mahogany body with a maple cap. There are all-mahogany Les Pauls with a somewhat darker tone--the maple cap adds some snap.

2. Humbuckers! Your choice depends on your amp and your musical style. In general, modern music requires high-output pups and retro uses lower output (low to high Burstbuckers to classics 57s to 490 series I think), but humbuckers are the way to go for that "classic" tone unless you're talking about Neil Young ;) ...single coils on an LP are an entirely different animal.

So, anything from an original 59 (it you need to ask you can't afford it) the late 50s reissues ($$$$$) to a Studio with a maple cap and HBs ($$) would cover those bases. You can try most of those guitars at your local big box music retailer-no one can explain the difference in tone with written words. You have to hear it.

You then have to find "The Amp For That Classic Les Paul Tone" but that's another thread...

Archived