Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Center - Good, Bad, or Ugly?

Work in Progress

I've read on my forums people's distaste with Guitar Center. I'm curious as to why this is. As I've stated before, I'm fairly new to guitar (nearly 4 years), self-taught, and don't have a friend or relative who play any sort of instrument. So my knowledge is only as vast as my curiosity.

Why are people so anti-Guitar Center? Are the employees not very knowledgeable? Are the guitars over-priced? Poor quality (i.e. only selling the floor models)? Poor selection?

I live in Houston, TX and have access to MANY music stores, however I shop at Guitar Center. I only shop on a holiday weekend to ensure a 15% discount (can haggle even lower, if I'm feeling lucky). I can't imagine paying a better price, but I'm all ears if there are (usually) deeper discounts at smaller shops. I understand the value in buying used, but again, my guitar experience probably couldn't spot a lemon (fake, damaged, abused, etc) on the scene if I needed to. There is a huge selection between the two stores in Houston, so I appreciate that (not to mention online selection). I get my guitars setup by a guy unaffiliated with GC who knows a hellava lot more than some of those "kids" behind the counters there.

Please educate me on what I'm missing. Thanks.

WIP

I have had good luck with GC. I have three in my area, have bought most of my guitars from the one nearest me, but I shop on all three. I usually deal with the same two guys, I am recognized when I go in, and people remember my name - I have always had good service. I have been able to get good deals on new and used guitars. I have most of my service work done at my local GC. The tech is knolegable and takes good care of my gear. The fact that he also plays professionally helps.

I would not say that all Guitar Centers are good based on my local experience, but I the same time, I don't pay a lot of attention to the folks that say they are all bad because that have had a bad experience. Try them, if they meed your needs then you are good.

It's all of the above-

Good: If they have what you want, or will get it for you, and a place to try out different models of guitar and amps. They stand behind their 30 policy.

Bad: Most of the staff are not really qualified to answer any of your questions in an accurate manner. They usually don't have the things listed in the catalogs. They will try to sell you what ever their manager told them to push that day. They give you next to nothing on trade-ins, and, what's up with that 30 day policy about selling used stuff?, that they have on the sales floor, but, you can't buy until after a certain date.

Ugly: Saturday afternoon, when all the parents drop their kids off to be babysat at GC for free.

I dare you to find a guitar that isn't in dropped D. and an amp that isn't maxed out!.

It's all of the above-

Good: If they have what you want, or will get it for you, and a place to try out different models of guitar and amps. Then order it from some other place!

Bad: Most of the staff are not really qualified to answer any of your questions in an accurate manner. They usually don't have the things listed in the catalogs. They will try to sell you what ever their manager told them to push that day. The give you next to nothing on trade-ins, and, what's up with that 30 day policy about selling used stuff, that they have on the sales floor, but, you can't buy until after a certain date.

Ugly: Saturday afternoon, when all the parents drop their kids off to be babysat at GC for free.

I dare you to find a guitar that isn't in dropped D. and an amp that isn't maxed out!.

Lol. I know just what you're talking about. The "kids" can be quite annoying, playing their guitars as loud as they can. Gotta give them all credit though because they aren't afraid of hitting bad notes (which is MANY of the notes) at max volume. But it doesn't bother me too much because, like I said, I don't know anyone else who plays on a personal level.

You're "Good" comment is exactly what I'm referring to. Why would you buy it somewhere else if you're already there with the model in your hand?? The one time I traded in a guitar (hawaiian) I got $270 and they had it on sale for $350ish. Sounds pretty good to me. They cleaned it up, put their GC name behind it, and they have overhead.

My experiences have been more in-line with guitar dog's, that's why I started the thread.

WIP

GC, like any chain store, is as good, or bad, as their current management!

Some are truly outstanding, while others, can be a real nightmare, to deal with.

I use them, primarily, for items my preferred guitar dealer, doesn't stock, or

is out of stock on, when I need it "now!" Otherwise, I have my dealer order it,

for me, when there's not "panic," involved.

As to deeper discounts, than GG? Yeah, quite a bit deeper, in some cases. I can

tell you, for a fact, that my dealer sells several Gibson's, at over $1000.00 less

than either GC, MF, or Sweetwater. The first time in encountered this, I was stunned!

Was sure they must be selling "2nd's" or "refurb's!" They assured me, they would sell

me one, at that price, even if I wanted it ordered, from Gibson. So, after 20 years,

of dealing with them, since...their prices are always well below, the on-line/big box

stores, pretty consistently. Quite often, my dealer's price, is even lower, than

when GC or MF, etc. "Blow out," an item, with an even larger discount, than they usually

offer. So, it does pay, to shop around, price wise. You might be pleasantly surprised!

CB

It's all of the above-

Good: If they have what you want, or will get it for you, and a place to try out different models of guitar and amps. They stand behind their 30 policy.

Bad: Most of the staff are not really qualified to answer any of your questions in an accurate manner. They usually don't have the things listed in the catalogs. They will try to sell you what ever their manager told them to push that day. They give you next to nothing on trade-ins, and, what's up with that 30 day policy about selling used stuff?, that they have on the sales floor, but, you can't buy until after a certain date.

I am not sure if this is the proper forum for this discussion,with that said, I can answer the "What's up with that

30 day policy about selling used stuff".

In some states, certian retailers need to run serial numbers or the lack of ,with law enforcment to see if they have received stolen property

in a trade deal. Thus, an item that gets traded in , needs to get an all clear to sell. I am not sure how efficient this is, who is actually

around that will check all the traded gear of a certian dollar amount "that also varies from state to state" with a stolen database?

I do know it is not applicable to most states. I am sure the law had good intentions. I doubt it's very efficient or cost effective.

On the other note, as with any retailers, there are good and bad. I have seen some great items in the few guitar centers I have been in.

I have also seen some poor items. Sure you can at least put the guitar,amp, ect in your hands and try it out, but just like other places

they have strong points and weak points. From gear to salespeople, or lack of each. Some swear by a certian retialer , others swear by another.

I pick a place that has at least a ten day return policy. These ones with 24/48 hours is really not much of a return policy.

We need to sleep ,work ,ect. 24/48 hours is not much time to find that defect that may show up in a few days.

/cheers

I've shopped at GC and made some purchases. I have found that with the GC chain stores, the quality of individual shops can vary widely in the staff knowledge, the condition of the stock, and service. The pricing is mostly MAP (minimum advertised priced allowed by Gibson). The probability of making a good purchases at GC goes up if you're an experienced guitar player/purchaser who knows - what to look for in terms of models, options and potential problems, what should come with the guitar (case, case candy, COA, etc), and the going price range. Also, if the guitar comes with a case, make sure it's the correct case with the correct case contents.

So - "Are the employees not very knowledgeable?" Some. . "Are the guitars over-priced?" Mostly, but if you know that going in, you can negotiate a lower price. . "Poor quality (i.e. only selling the floor models)?" The condition of the guitars from the floor or storage is always something to watch out for. . "Poor selection?" In terms of on hand stock, it depends on the size of the shop, but they can generally get what you want even if it has to be transferred from another shop in the chain. . Another thing to watch out for is GC has been known to put returned guitars back into "new" stock.

I'm fortunate to be within an hour of the famous House of Guitars and I get great deals there. GC (or anyone else) can't come close to matching the HOG for big ticket items.

GC is fine for small stuff though. I did get my Geddy Lee bass there for $799 so they do have some OK sales here and there.

The GC staff tries to help, but most really don't know much. The Gibson salesman at HOG blew me away though. I'd love to put him and R9 on a Gibson version of Jeopardy!!

Guitar Center is what it is----a big box store corporation. If you know what you want, you can get a pretty decent deal. I have no axe-to-grind with them and have gotten some real sweet deals on what I wanted. They can be irritating at times, but that's because humans work there. I've heard of all these places that supposedly sell guitars for hundreds less than anyone else, but I've never found them to actually exist. If you plan on buying a big ticket item at GC, it will help to do your homework, because the salesdude might not know much at all. Some of their staff is excellent, but most is average and below....Anyway, they're usually okay in my view.

Never been to a GC since it'd take a day's drive to and a day's drive from. That kinda steals any price advantage, even assuming there is one.

There's a GC guy in the Epi forum who seems as knowledgeable in general as anybody - and honest enough to admit when he doesn't know something. I'd buy stuff from him sight unseen just judging from comments he's made on the forum and I'm a cynical grouchy old man.

As for kids messing up in guitar stores, yup in spades. But it's not just GC. Parents should have to sign rental, breakage and/or repair agreements before they allow their spawn into such stores. The teens ain't even anywhere close to as bad as the 10-year-olds.

Actually I've bought stuff from MF and M123 and ZZ... MF and M123 are the same company as GC. You can kinda tell.

My observation is you'll hit a pickle every now and then largely because it's a newb who won't admit they're not competent at specifics of what you wanna buy, aren't honest or competent enough to admit it - and then their CS has to save their butts. That, of course, ain't fun for the customer even if CS is as good as one might hope it to be - which has been all but once. My hope is that they mess up enough that CS gets the "sales engineer" fired.

OTOH... MF doesn't always have what's really there in a product...

<sigh>

m

I haven't had a bad experience with any of the staff, I got a great deal on my SG there. My only complaint other than the usual kids diming the amps and chugging along was the fact they tried to get me to sign up for their credit card even though I was paying for my guitar cash in hand.

The way I see it, you're dealing with people. Some people are helpful, some aren't. Some people Smile, some don't. Some people judge you onn sight, some don't. Some people care about their character, some don't. Some people only care about the sale, some care about human interaction. Some people work at Guitar center, some people work at "Mom and Pop" stores.

What I don't agree with is People having a bad experience with People and blaming it on the Sign that hangs over the door [confused] Just doesn't make logical sense.

Besides, I've had mush worse experiences at a particular "Mom & Pop" store than I've ever had at a Guitar Center or Sam Ash. Class Prejudice, being ignored until I show 'em the money. I don't know if it was my hair or what, but they seemed to be a lot friendlier to the guy that wasn't me. Went to GC and got treated very well by the kid with Piercings and Tattoos. So whatever.

Guitar center used to be a pretty good place to buy guitars, when they would negotiate prices and when sales were good and gear was turned over quickly. now your liable to be buying a guitar that has been hanging for months being used and abused by dozens of people that can't even seem to hang a guitar back up with hitting two or three others. they won't negotiate price anymore so I might look at one a the local GC but then I will likely buy it elsewhere where a new guitar doesn't look like it's been gigged for months.

I haven't had a bad experience with any of the staff, I got a great deal on my SG there. My only complaint other than the usual kids diming the amps and chugging along was the fact they tried to get me to sign up for their credit card even though I was paying for my guitar cash in hand.

This is a practice done at all retail outlets. Macy's, Sears, Best Buy, etc. All are schooled to ask if you have one of their cards and the employee gets rewarded.(usually so much money per card sign up)

As with any music store know what you're looking at and how much you're willing to pay.

If they won't budge on price walk away.

While playing a new custom classic les paul at my local GC I had to tell the 2 trained sales experts standing around me that the fretboards were baked maple on these beauties. After finally telling them to go look it up, one did and came back to say I was right.msp_flapper.gif

if you live in a area with small independently owned stores SHOP THERE!

or support small online retailers, I.E. pedal builders ect.

GC IS the wal mart of the music industry, I have only ever Shopped for myself once, the experience was"good"

But only cause I didn't know any better At the time, and I was not familiar with the area I was in.

But since my return to New England I have set foot in a GC only twice, both times with my drummer, while he was buying heads.

Shop Local, Keep the money in your own neighborhood.

I've read on my forums people's distaste with Guitar Center. I'm curious as to why this is. As I've stated before, I'm fairly new to guitar (nearly 4 years), self-taught, and don't have a friend or relative who play any sort of instrument. So my knowledge is only as vast as my curiosity.

Why are people so anti-Guitar Center? Are the employees not very knowledgeable? Are the guitars over-priced? Poor quality (i.e. only selling the floor models)? Poor selection?

I live in Houston, TX and have access to MANY music stores, however I shop at Guitar Center. I only shop on a holiday weekend to ensure a 15% discount (can haggle even lower, if I'm feeling lucky). I can't imagine paying a better price, but I'm all ears if there are (usually) deeper discounts at smaller shops. I understand the value in buying used, but again, my guitar experience probably couldn't spot a lemon (fake, damaged, abused, etc) on the scene if I needed to. There is a huge selection between the two stores in Houston, so I appreciate that (not to mention online selection). I get my guitars setup by a guy unaffiliated with GC who knows a hellava lot more than some of those "kids" behind the counters there.

Please educate me on what I'm missing. Thanks.

WIP

I had a friend who worked at Guitar Center, and he told me they treat their employees pretty badly, like 'Glengarry Glen Ross'. I also read about allegations like that in Music Trades. As far as shopping there, I like to support small business over corporations, so I don't shop there these days. When I have shopped there in the past, the staff didn't know much about the product and kept calling me 'dude' and/or it was hard to get assistance anyway. I don't think they do much training of the staff, in addition to treating them like peons. They may want to be the McDonalds of the music retail trade but they have a long way to go. If the employees unionized, I would return to shop there, at least I'd know they were getting better benefits and were better trained.

The Guitar Center "experience" has everything to do with WHO is working there rather than GC itself. You can find good or bad GC's.

GC is a large corporation, and basically has the resources to provide those who choose to work there an opportunity. It is up to those who work there to have it be a good store, or a bad one.

One thing about the "job" is that many positions (pay scale, hours, and qualifications) is that it is a job for kids. In many cases, it is a first or second job, and there isn't that much experience working any job, or experience in life. Many haven't made the transition from from "kid" to "man" yet, and still have a lot to learn. So you get a lot of young guys that are lazy, have a sense of entitlement, and generally don't know how good they have it or understand what they have or what they are supposed to be doing. Should GC be held responsible?

The other thing, is that making a "real" job of it requires a rare breed of person. It is a sales job, and as such requires that if you are going to sell enough to make a good living, you have to be good at it, and you have to EARN it. It is more set up like a car dealership than a Sears store. The hard part, is that most who like music and musicianship do not tend to be those that are good at sales or care for it. Those that are good at sales tend NOT to want to work at GC. Those that have lying and cheating ways would have more success working at other places, (cars?), but at the same time, the job of GC does not exactly lend itself to teaching good ethics or rewarding them. That part, you have to bring to the job, rather than have it taught to you.

Guitar Center the company does good at providing the store, the huge amounts of new guitars and "gear", access to manufacturers, as well as providing customers with lots of selection and oppurtunity for good pricing. What is done with that has everything to do with what the employees do, and what the customers want and demand.

Rather than say "GC sucks", or "GC is alright" should be more like "GC Clakamas sucks", or "GC Houston" is good.

I've dealt with GC in San Jose, Concord, San Francisco and Boston.... all were great to work with.

I just have nothing to say bad.

I do notice that GC allows people to play the guitars, so sometimes the place gets noisy...and sometimes the "new" guitars aren't in as good of condition as I would like....but I just steer clear of guitars which aren't in a condition I would accept.

Allow people to actually play guitars = +, new guitars get dings due to a lot of people playing them = - .

I've had a good relationship with local GC since they opened, and I go there first for anything. They usually don't have it, but that's another story. I've bought and traded quite a few guitars with them, I've always left satisfied.

There used to be a web page, GuitarCenterSucksdotcom, which I think became BigBoxRetailSucksdot com. One thing I learned in the short time I hung around there was that there are an awful lot of disgruntled, pissed off ex-employees that did some pretty nasty stuff while working there, and that there are some pretty hard working managers that would actually write on that forum in defense of the company.

rct

One thing about the "job" is that many positions (pay scale, hours, and qualifications) is that it is a job for kids. In many cases, it is a first or second job, and there isn't that much experience working any job, or experience in life. Many haven't made the transition from from "kid" to "man" yet, and still have a lot to learn. So you get a lot of young guys that are lazy, have a sense of entitlement, and generally don't know how good they have it or understand what they have or what they are supposed to be doing. Should GC be held responsible?

Well, yes! they should be held responsible- it's their hiring practices- and the people they are hiring are representing the company-

When I lived in Ft. Worth I received great service from GC. The staff I talked with was knowledgeable and polite. Where I live now is totally different. Most of them are arrogantly rude (2 were not).

I bought a used MIM Tele from GC and it had to be on hold for the police check. I didn't have a problem with that since it was a pretty good price. The problem is that I mentioned how it was Lake Placid blue and the guy argued with me saying it was some other shade of blue. Even if I was wrong (I'm not) why argue about it with the customer?

No matter what, I have to drive 50 miles or more just to get to any kind of music store. As much as I'd like to support some local economy, I selfishly want a decent experience. I know what's going to happen at GC, I'm rollin' the dice and paying the price at a small place. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the questionable business practices you get from the High Desert and San Bernardino. Wild West Guitars in Riverside is a very nice store, but it's another 20 minutes down the road and back. That's 40 minute added to an already 3 hour round trip.

I just want to get my strings and go home by then.

No matter what, I have to drive 50 miles or more just to get to any kind of music store. As much as I'd like to support some local economy, I selfishly want a decent experience. I know what's going to happen at GC, I'm rollin' the dice and paying the price at a small place. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the questionable business practices you get from the High Desert and San Bernardino. Wild West Guitars in Riverside is a very nice store, but it's another 20 minutes down the road and back. That's 40 minute added to an already 3 hour round trip.

I just want to get my strings and go home by then.

UGH! And if you go at the wrong time of day...that 3 hour trip can turn into 5 hours!

Archived