Gibson Brands Forums

Thoughts on the new Bird- Sparrow?

tvguit

Not a fan of that one. Love the style, the rosewood, the purfling on the top, but that pickguard is just minor league design. I can't believe Ren would have any part of that. They could have used some of the old classic tattoo artwork of the sparrows. I would never go for that one.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a fan of that one. Love the style, the rosewood, the purfling on the top, but that pickguard is just minor league design. I can't believe Ren would have any part of that. They could have used some of the old classic tattoo artwork of the sparrows. I would never go for that one.

I don't think it was Ren's entire responsability . It may have been what MF asked for ... or accorded to.

And as I know it he does not get involved in the pickguard designs ... someone else does that

I don't think it was Ren's entire responsability . It may have been what MF asked for ... or accorded to.

And as I know it he does not get involved in the pickguard designs ... someone else does that

Oh, I'm sure he had nothing to do with it. I didn't mean to imply he did. He SHOULD have though. Bet it would be gorgeous!!

I think that the Dove, H'bird and SJ200x pickguards are fine. (I have 2 of the three!)

BUT - that doesn't mean that every guitar with a pickguard design has to follow the same motiff.. I really like the specs and know that the pickguard could grow on me. I'm equally comfortable with a pale spruce face as I am with a georgeous sunburst. This guitar looks comfortable to play, and I bet it sounds great. Time to start collecting aluminum cans out of the trash again without my wife knowing!

BUT - that doesn't mean that every guitar with a pickguard design has to follow the same motiff..

I absolutely agree. Every Gibson acoustic with a painted pickguard does not need to have the same motif, or even the same artistic style. However, I personally don't care for the style of the art on this pickguard. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to me, the rest of the guitar looks much classier than the pickguard.

From all outward appearances, it appears to be a H'bird lite for the intro market. Not so. It's priced right up there with the big boys.

Well, Gibson seems to look for any excuse to introduce a new model, which is fine by me. I always love to see what they come up with. One of these days, it will probably be a guitar I can't live without.

Not that I'm suffering from a shortage of Gibsons right now.........

Well, Gibson seems to look for any excuse to introduce a new model, which is fine by me. I always love to see what they come up with. One of these days, it will probably be a guitar I can't live without.

The pickguard is designed by a guy named Jason Smith. It seems that Jason is the marketing director for M.F.'s Private Reserve division. This is not a Ren Ferguson design. I guess that's what you get when you are dictated to by a major buyer. Not cool. Kinda like the A.J. pro that isn't a pro at all or a Hummingbird pro that has nothing to do with a Hummingbird. I can only imagine what's next. Just so we are all on the same page here.....This was not designed by anyone at Gibson that has ever actually made a guitar. This is what happens when marketing types think they are luthiers. Buy a Songwriter.

The pickguard is designed by a guy named Jason Smith. It seems that Jason is the marketing director for M.F.'s Private Reserve division. This is not a Ren Ferguson design. I guess that's what you get when you are dictated to by a major buyer. Not cool. Kinda like the A.J. pro that isn't a pro at all or a Hummingbird pro that has nothing to do with a Hummingbird. I can only imagine what's next. Just so we are all on the same page here.....This was not designed by anyone at Gibson that has ever actually made a guitar. This is what happens when marketing types think they are luthiers. Buy a Songwriter.

Interesting and unfortunate. I hope Jason doesn't read this thread. Sorry man, that pg looks really out of place.

I'm with ya bro'. Got a lack of disposable income, but no lack of Gibson's.... [lol]

Interesting and unfortunate. I hope Jason doesn't read this thread. Sorry man, that pg looks really out of place.

Sorry I started this dump on Jason thing. I just read a post he did on another forum and thought since everyone was wondering who did what I would clarify. In Jason's defense. He saw this as a tattoo and thought it would look cool on a guitar. Maybe it looks better on a cute girl.It has a lot of meaning for him.

About the specs of the guitar? It has every chance to be a winner. I am just a little distressed that Gibson feels the need to put the A.J. bracing pattern on every new guitar they do. I think if you want an A.J sound you should just buy the A.J. Gibson should just get back in the guitar design mode and give us something really new. Why take a new design and put 70 year old thinking on it? It's as silly as when they took the AJ brace and put it on the J-45TV. The J-45 never had that bracing pattern and yet they put it on something called a True Vintage? Where is the truth in that???

They need to do better as most of us have bought almost all of their tried and true designs and I think we all want our next guitar to be a departure from the past. I really don't want to buy the same thing over and over.

In the spirit of Christmas, I deleted my deroggatory comment about the creator of the pickguard drawing. The comment was made before I realised that he had been indentified.

I am sure Jason is very proud to have his design on the pickguard of a Gibson....

Jason: There is always going to be some haters. Fact is, Gibson put your design on their instrument. Score for you. Other than the PG, I think the rest of the guitar is really cool and regardless of the PG I still want to play it.

No offense meant, purely an observation. If you are looking at this thread, feel free to post!

Jason: There is always going to be some haters. Fact is, Gibson put your design on their instrument. Score for you.

Its not really a score for Jason...MF ordered the guitars for their stores.

If you or I paid enough Gibson would put our designs on a guitar too. I may keep an eye on the tattoos of the folks around here and see if I find any good ideas for a fretboard inlay for my next custom order....

BTW....I don't like the sparrow concept at all.

Its not really a score for Jason...MF ordered the guitars for their stores.

If you or I paid enough Gibson would put our designs on a guitar too. I may keep an eye on the tattoos of the folks around here and see if I find any good ideas for a fretboard inlay for my next custom order....

BTW....I don't like the sparrow concept at all.

When I think of a "Sparrow" guitar, I think of this one.

bigsky_pirates_guitar.jpg

Archived