Gibson Brands Forums

Thoughts on the new Bird- Sparrow?

tvguit

I don't think the sparrow's bill should be "down"... in the tattoo it's "up" and in the non-cartoon version it's at least "level". (that's my dog show judge in me talkin' here!)

Hey Rob, pugs ain't got no "bill". How do you deal with that?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd think whatever "bird" Gibson develops, should have SOME relation to 'singing'...... a "Gibson Hawk" might be too predatory......

I can just see a "Gibson Southern Yellow-Billed Horenbill"

How about a Tufted Titmouse? (It is, on the annoying bird clock popular a decade or more ago, the bird that sings at 5 o'clock, which always it is, somewhere...)

How about a Tufted Titmouse? (It is, on the annoying bird clock popular a decade or more ago, the bird that sings at 5 o'clock, which always it is, somewhere...)

Anne....AMAZIN' how you can tie three almost unrelated thoughts about guitars in a single sentence!

1. "Tufted Titmouse" a Gibson for girls only?

2. "...the bird that sings at 5 o'clock", a comment on my statement that Gibson "bird" guitars relate to birds that sing!

3. "...5 o'clock, which always it is, somewhere" A guitar for Jimmy Buffett!

I can see the possibility of being punched out for trying to say "tufted titmouse" quickly several times in a row by about 5:30 PM in a bar somewhere.

Maybe the next 'bird should be the Flamingo. I can see a bright pink 200-sized body with twin white Everly Brothers feather-engraved pickguards, long-scale MOTS overlaid fretboard, and a yellow headstock. There's probably a lot of MOTS sitting around in a Gibson warehouse somewhere that needs to be used up.

What the heck. I live in Florida, and we love flamingos here. Particularly in our front yards.

tattoo:

sparrowtat.jpg

- Jason Smith

I was sorta' lookin' forward to the tattoo on a girl's lower bout. Well it's cold and snowing out here in Montana and we could use some inspiration.

The girls quit shaving a month ago and are all snuggled into their parkas.

Just as a bit of general information. Ren is a pigeon guy. He loves them and has raised them for years. He raced them for a long time and was very good at it. There is no bird as brave and loyal as a pigeon. Google G.I. Joe(pigeon) and you will see what I mean. No! I don't want to see a Pigeon guitar. Well technically speaking a Dove is a pigeon so....

Hey Rob, pugs ain't got no "bill". How do you deal with that?

Nick, I have 11 pugs.... I got nothing BUT bills....from the vet..... dog food store...... how 'bout this one....I sold a dog to a lady in Florida for $1,000, (but I still co-owned it)..... she couldn't finish her, (get the dog's championship), so she sent her back to me to finish her...... well, now she's part of our family, so I wanted to 'buy her back'..... so I just sent this lady $3,000! (talk about a bill!)

Nick, I have 11 pugs.... I got nothing BUT bills....from the vet..... dog food store...... how 'bout this one....I sold a dog to a lady in Florida for $1,000, (but I still co-owned it)..... she couldn't finish her, (get the dog's championship), so she sent her back to me to finish her...... well, now she's part of our family, so I wanted to 'buy her back'..... so I just sent this lady $3,000! (talk about a bill!)

Think I'll stick to guitars......

I gotta talk to you Rob, were moving to a new place beginning february and are planning to get our first two pug puppies ... Im sure youre the man for advice in all things pugs and doves ! :-)

ps: the biggest thing Mrs EA will miss about the current place is the piegeon couple that have made our terrace their home and raised about 4 little ones over the past 2 summers. Ill miss those funny buggers also must say ..

IMG_1755.jpg

IMG_1785.jpg

Sorry, my first impression - back on page 1 or 2 is unchanged. Along with Danner and Mstein - I guess we're the only ones who like the guitar, pickguard included. I'm not suprised that there was a lot of thought and development discussion before rolling this out.

While I am not a pirate, I've got a tattoo, been a sailor on several seas, have two of the traditional Gibson Pickguards (and the guitars that go with them) and taken an art course and a marketing course. So - I'd like to believe if the marketeers did a 'blind taste test' with the Sparrow - only us using our ears - the majority of us would give this guitar a thumbs up. The Sunburst looks better because the colors blend well with the PG. I really think this is a winner - time will tell. The only votes that matter in the end are the ones that are made with green, artistic renditions of dead presidents !

I gotta talk to you Rob, were moving to a new place beginning february and are planning to get our first two pug puppies ... Im sure youre the man for advice in all things pugs and doves ! :-)

ps: the biggest thing Mrs EA will miss about the current place is the piegeon couple that have made our terrace their home and raised about 4 little ones over the past 2 summers. Ill miss those funny buggers also must say ..

EA, what are you looking for in a Pug?

Where are you going to be moving? (I have Pug relatives in Europe).

What am I looking in a pug ...hmm ... Ill say it like this, pugs more than any other breed put a smile on my face everyday no matter how good or bad im feeling. i love that about them. Plus i like active, social dogs that will also be great with young kids ... as that on the agenda also for next year ..i know theyre a handful and have health issues and need attention, but thats fine, were ready to give it to em ..ill still be in prague but were moving a larger place.

EA, what are you looking for in a Pug?

Where are you going to be moving? (I have Pug relatives in Europe).

What am I looking in a pug ...hmm ... Ill say it like this, pugs more than any other breed put a smile on my face everyday no matter how good or bad im feeling. i love that about them. Plus i like active, social dogs that will also be great with young kids ... as that on the agenda also for next year ..i know theyre a handful and have health issues and need attention, but thats fine, were ready to give it to em ..ill still be in prague but were moving a larger place.

Let me know when you're ready..... I know some people who breed pugs.... in Eastern Europe.

I can see the possibility of being punched out for trying to say "tufted titmouse" quickly several times in a row by about 5:30 PM in a bar somewhere.

Maybe the next 'bird should be the Flamingo. I can see a bright pink 200-sized body with twin white Everly Brothers feather-engraved pickguards, long-scale MOTS overlaid fretboard, and a yellow headstock. There's probably a lot of MOTS sitting around in a Gibson warehouse somewhere that needs to be used up.

What the heck. I live in Florida, and we love flamingos here. Particularly in our front yards.

[scared][scared][scared]

IMG_1785.jpg

This is the pickguard for me!!!!

Maybe Dolly would commission it to commemorate her Pigeon Forge empire. (Which brings us kinda back to the aftorementioned 5 o'clock songbird, if you think about it...)

I bad.[wink]

Prototype Pickguards:

Here is another prototype pickguard with a totally different artistic take on the theme:

Sparrow_proto_guard_2.jpg

What do you guys think of these?

- Jason Smith

Since you asked for input, I think the sparrow in this one is the best, just a little bit busy. If you cleaned it up just a bit, it would be a great bird. Good size, too. I would then make the lower clouds a bit less dense and do the water a bit differently.

In all honesty, though, I would probably put the sparrow in a different setting. The sun and boat are cool, but I think it is really hard to make the clouds and water work on a pickguard. Maybe put the sparrow in front of some trees, with a sun in the distance, with a couple of more sparrows playing in the background.

Anyway, even though it is not my first choice for a pickguard design, I think it is really cool you got to design a Gibson guitar, Jason. That must be a really cool experience and feeling when you see the final product! And welcome to the forum. I hope you stick around long after the conversation about the Sparrow dies down.

John

I like everything about the guitar with exception to the PG. That's a personal preference only I suppose! Throw a nice burst on it and a tiger stripe PG and you would have me drooling and collecting pop cans!

btw...good for you, Jason! A job many of us would LOVE to have! Also, kudos for stopping by and adding your .02! Hope to see you around here often! (insider info is always welcome!! lol(

Prototype Pickguards:

Here is one of the prototype pickguards. Close to the final version, but some differences with the sun, boat, and background water:

Sparrow_proto_guard_1.jpg

Here is another prototype pickguard with a totally different artistic take on the theme:

Sparrow_proto_guard_2.jpg

What do you guys think of these?

- Jason Smith

I think these are uglier than the one that was selected, but I don't like that one either. I'd opt to get a plain pickguard, given the choice. But then it loses its 'sparrowness', doesn't it?

I showed the image of the sunburst guitar, and my wife's thought was that it looked like a colouring book drawing.

The overall guitar concept itself may be 'interesting' -- in fact, I like the r/w square-shouldered dread concept -- but I just think the pickguard is not attractive, per se. (By contrast, I have always liked the Hummingbird pickguard.)

Despite Anne's excellent contribution, I can't see myself buying a Gibson "Titmouse" [scared]. I would go for a Kestrel though.

As for the sunburst Sparrow, well, ANY guitar looks great with a well-done sunburst finish!! [biggrin]

Fred

Thank you for sharing the other options – interesting to get a glimpse of the procedure from within. Think I like it best when the sparrow flies up against the wind and not towards the dangerous wires. Don't know which one I'd prefer, but the burst version makes it one step up for me as it gives more weight to the negative PG motive (negative meant as white lines on dark).

I would plain love to try this guitar, but admit the plastic would have to go if I fell for it. That burst alone with the stylish binding-pattern is plenty, and supports the sound - I believe this guitar provides – like a hand in glove. But that's just me, as the humble they say – and by the way, the sparrow is a favorite bird of mine. For it's unpretentious image and everyday symbolism. A humble singer flying through the days, , , , just like me hehehe. . . .

And for DanvilleRob – I follow your idea with G's and singing birds, but thinking twice, I never heard the voice of a hummingbird. Did you, , , , isn't it just bzzzzzzzzzzzzwwwchhhh ? ?

Doves ! ? ! – they cooooouuuh like members of a background choir.

Oh yeay – the 2 pigeons in love. Believe we touched it before. Seriously – How about a Gibson Turtledove. . .

And guys/girls – seen from the outside world, I guess this thread goes straight to #1 of the Surreal Chart. Spectators better hold on to hats and glasses when our train starts a'rolling.

---------------------------------------------------------------------! Full Steam !

I was sorta' lookin' forward to the tattoo on a girl's lower bout. Well it's cold and snowing out here in Montana and we could use some inspiration.

The girls quit shaving a month ago and are all snuggled into their parkas.

Just as a bit of general information. Ren is a pigeon guy. He loves them and has raised them for years. He raced them for a long time and was very good at it. There is no bird as brave and loyal as a pigeon. Google G.I. Joe(pigeon) and you will see what I mean. No! I don't want to see a Pigeon guitar. Well technically speaking a Dove is a pigeon so....

Maybe they should make all the guitars that get returned into a "Pigeon" model.

Archived