Gibson Brands Forums

What Gibson really needs to do is...

Thundergod

Start offering more of the "stripped down" guitars. The LP Junior and the Melody Maker are great guitars and have a lot of followers, people just love their simplicity, they are total winners. [thumbup]

I love that they are now offering the melody maker with 2 p90s, they should still offer it with 2 normal thin single coils and of course the 1 pickup version should be the same: options for normal single coil and p90.

They should offer the Jr in more finishes and probably even with a second pickup option (that would be more of a Special, I know)

Also the Melody maker should keep it's signature headstock which IMO is one of the things that separated it from "normal" Les Pauls, the new one looks like too much, with the right thin headstock it would be even greater.

I am not writing this out of boredom or because I want Gibson to start offering more cheap guitars, in fact I wouldn't mind if they costed as much as a SG standard or a LP studio, I have owned some Gibbies, some with beautiful flame maple tops, some with completely painted tops and other stuff (like ebony boards) and I can really afford any guitar I want, but I'd love to have a stripped down gibbie the way I want it without having to mod it myself. [thumbup]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gobsin doesn't do cheap well. Fedner does. That has always been my experience, and continues with the new Melody Maker stuff they've been doing. A cheap Gibson just feels cheap, like a knock off of itself. A cheap Fender, a Squier, somehow it works better, that was his idea and goal to begin with so I guess it works.

I think what they need to do is stop with the retard-o 15 thousand dollar signature guitars that nobody will buy and focus on what they do best, and everyone here knows what that is. When every guitar(it seems) you make is a loss leader and doesn't matter if you never sell it well, seems to me the company can't be too far behind that eight ball.

rct

Start offering more of the "stripped down" guitars. The LP Junior and the Melody Maker are great guitars and have a lot of followers, people just love their simplicity, they are total winners. [thumbup]

I love that they are now offering the melody maker with 2 p90s, they should still offer it with 2 normal thin single coils and of course the 1 pickup version should be the same: options for normal single coil and p90.

They should offer the Jr in more finishes and probably even with a second pickup option (that would be more of a Special, I know)

Also the Melody maker should keep it's signature headstock which IMO is one of the things that separated it from "normal" Les Pauls, the new one looks like too much, with the right thin headstock it would be even greater.

I am not writing this out of boredom or because I want Gibson to start offering more cheap guitars, in fact I wouldn't mind if they costed as much as a SG standard or a LP studio, I have owned some Gibbies, some with beautiful flame maple tops, some with completely painted tops and other stuff (like ebony boards) and I can really afford any guitar I want, but I'd love to have a stripped down gibbie the way I want it without having to mod it myself. [thumbup]

Have you not seen the new Junior Specials? I think they are amazing for that price.. you get two P-90 or Humbucker versions, satin or gloss finish, multi-ply pickguiard, pearloid tuners AND neck binding.. I think thats amazing for the price :)

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Junior-Special-P90.aspx

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Junior-Special-Humbucker.aspx

Splash-01.jpg

Plus you have the new Studio 2012s coming that are also a great price and coil tapped.. finishes are Wine Red, Vintage Sunburst, Silver Pearl, Radiant Red, Pelham Blue, Inverness Green, Fireburst and Ebony.. slightly more expensive than an SG or Junior but not by crazy amounts.. these with the new 2012 Standard and I think Gibson are doing a great job :)

http://www.dv247.com/search/0/0/ProductQuantity/Descending/gibson+2012+studio/1/

96708_l.jpg

Have you not seen the new Junior Specials? I think they are amazing for that price.. you get two P-90 or Humbucker versions, satin or gloss finish, multi-ply pickguiard, pearloid tuners AND neck binding.. I think thats amazing for the price :)

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Junior-Special-P90.asp

Those could use a wrap around bridge. [thumbup]

Gobsin doesn't do cheap well.

The last thing Gibson needs to do is make cheaper guitars. That's why they have the Epiphone brand

I think that's where you guys are wrong... I've played dozens, if not hundreds, of gibsons and there were Customs and historics that felt cheap and horrible, just as there were lower models that felt the same way, just as there were great guitars from all lines (from cheapest to most expensive).

Epiphone is a complete different thing... I am not talking CHEAP here, the problem with most people (just like pfox14) is they understand "cheap" when one says "simple". Simple doesn't equal cheap. The Jr doesn't cost less than an epiphone, and most people who feels that way can't even think about spending that kind of money on a guitar with only one pikcup, no tremolo and no case (while for me is a no brainer!).

What I am talking about is more simple models, I don't care about the cost, but I do care about the simplicity and being able to just plug and play and have fun while at it (in my case making money while at it [flapper] ) There's good reason lots of seasoned pros use juniors and even MMs, they can afford any guitar they want and they still get the "cheaper" model.

Some people will tell you to better buy an epi custom than a gibson LP junior, but some will prefer the Jr and that's a market that would give gibson a lot more money than the snob market.

I think what they need to do is stop with the retard-o 15 thousand dollar signature guitars that nobody will buy

This too. [thumbup]

I have to tell ya my SG Faded special was as cheap as they get and it blew my mind with it's quality and feel.

I would like to see Gibson offer a "Hot Rod" edition SG. Hell, you could start with the faded SG Special. Then offer aftermarket pickups in hotter and cooler flavors and control systems with phase switching and coil tapping all with plug and play interchangability. Maybe even drop in active systems. Encourage EMG, SD and DiMarzio to make drop in kits for it. Offer and large choice of pick guards and tuner and bridge options.

That would be cool.

Sheesh!....Gibson can't seem to "win," HERE, no matter what they do! [tongue]

They Try to give people what they want, as best they can, within the realities,

of mass produced, mass marketed guitars. The only thing I'd like to see them

do (besides correctly beveling and tapering the SG's [flapper]), is to make the "Custom Shop,"

for REAL "Custom" guitars, one of kinds, & extremely limited editions, only!

All the rest, including the Reissues, to be Gibson USA, with current normal

"Custom Shop" quality, and spec's. Just like they used to do, originally.

Let the "cork-sniffers" order their own special, pricey, guitars.

There's enough after-market pickups, pots, switches, and hardware to make a stock

guitar, all your own, without the factory trying to do that...IMHO. [tongue][biggrin]

CB

I have to tell ya my SG Faded special was as cheap as they get and it blew my mind with it's quality and feel.

That's what I'm sayin'. My faded SG Special is one of my favorites (and the only guitar I have that is still bone stock). It's just a great piece of guitar at a fabulous price.

Yeah, I really love my "'60's Tribute Les Paul, P-90 Gold Top," as well.

As "Gold Top" Gibson's go, it wasn't expensive, but it looks, sounds, and

plays as nice as any I own, costing 3 times as much. So...??? Like most

things, I think it's a "case by case" thing. Some will be great, other's

not so much. I think, I got a great one! [thumbup][biggrin]

DSC_0044-1.jpg

DSC_0045-1.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

CB

I think Gibson may be reluctant to venture too much into that market because it's strategy has always been that of a perceived "premium" product, with a premium pricing. Hence it avoided the Fender strategy of offering a range of cosmetically identical Strats, Teles ect. that go from a few hundred bucks to $2,000 depending on country of origin. Instead, we get Epiphone models with a deliberately different shaped headstock.

When Gibson produces the more budget models (flat top satin finish no binding) the mystique fails a bit because it become clear that what you can make a serviceable USA Gibson for a street price of, say $700-900. This starts questions in the mind of the buyer like “why does a gloss finish cost $ 400 more?” “Does it really cost $500 to add two strips of plastic binding?” A three pickup model involves another rout, and a pickup that retails for $100 – Why is it $200 more? Does the fancy inlay and extra binding strip of the custom really cost $1000? The profit is likely much better in the high end instruments than the low end ones. The illusion of exclusivity created by expensive (and very high profit) special issues, is harmed by venturing into the “workingman’s guitar” market.

Yeah, I really love my "'60's Tribute Les Paul, P-90 Gold Top," as well.

As "Gold Top" Gibson's go, it wasn't expensive, but it looks, sounds, and

plays as nice as any I own, costing 3 times as much. So...??? Like most

things, I think it's a "case by case" thing. Some will be great, other's

not so much. I think, I got a great one! [thumbup][biggrin]

DSC_0044-1.jpg

DSC_0045-1.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

CB

Beautiful guitar CB, [thumbup] love the back, [thumbup] kinda matches your carpet [flapper]

TC

with the new 2012 les paul premium plus i thinks gibson have sorted things out and are back on track, and i don't mind paying an extra £100 for the AAA top...the coil tap i wouldn't bother using but apart from that it's a thumbs up from me B)

gonna start saving for my trans amber premium plus [biggrin]

Gibson has always had their "premium" models, and the more "working man" models.

It's just that the prices, nowadays, between those are so much greater, than

they were, originally, that we tend equate less expensive, with "inferior,"

when in fact, it's just not true! The biggest differences, between the more

cost effective (from a consumer's point of view), and the "premium" models,

is really just "Bling!" Be it Gloss paint jobs, or binding, fancy inlays,

and the best pieces of wood, from an aesthetic perspective. Most of us, here,

have experienced great sounding guitars, that were multi-piece bodies, as opposed

to the "premium" 1 or middle seamed 2-piece bodies. The actual "tone" didn't

vary, that much...in fact, I've played some "premium" bodied guitars, that didn't

sound as good, as the multi-piece bodies (sometimes) used, on less expensive

Gibson versions. So, again...I really think it's a "case by case," with all

guitars...Gibson, or Epiphone...as well as with all the other brands.

Needing "the best," and/or a lot of "bling," has more to do with Ego gratification,

than what's actually necessary, or even practical, tone or playing wise.

IMHO, as always. [biggrin] I love my "Premium's"...but, I love my less costly

"working man's" guitars, as well! [thumbup]

CB

I think "premium" need not equal either fancy or pricey.

At least in the old days of custom knifemaking, sometimes the simpler, lower priced - not cheap by the way - custom pieces are the ones still revered. Bob Loveless knives are perhaps a perfect example of extremely simple design, fine materials and flawless execution.

Gibson, OTOH, has to be an ongoing company matching different wants and needs in a somewhat different marketplace. You can get the five-figure guitar, but you also have a choice among a lotta designs that have various pricing schemes depending on a number of factors from cost of production to frankly what the market will handle on a given type of piece. Me, I'd not care for a Melody Maker as it is, but it's likely the benefit of its simplicity that still makes it a viable product at more cash than even its Epi sisters that are fancier and are excellent instruments for their price point.

I also agree that Gibson is ill advised to change the concept of the Gibbie name for US made products with better quality materials and Epi and/or something else for imports at varying price and materials qualities.

m

I just think they should make the line simpler. For example, just a Les Paul Standard (NOT CHAMBERED!) with any color choice, with a slight (like $15 dollars) upcharge for a flame top, and different bridge/tailpiece options. And I think that Grover tuners should be stock. It seems that with newer Pauls there is no room for modifications. It's really annoying. They need to start using better electronics and should replace the corian nut with a graphite one. I just want a Les Paul Standard, like they were up until the 90s. I wouldn't even mind a model with a maple neck and three piece top, in homage to the 70s Les Pauls that I love so much (are 50s models really the best out there? NOT BLODDY LIKELY!). And I think it is time for a REAL reissue of the Deluxe. Vintage style mini-buckers, even if they are made by another manufacturer, larger headstock, neck volute, replica 70s tuners, three-piece maple neck, sandwich/pancake body, three-piece top, 70s neck profile and headstock angle, and the 70s correct binding taper. And 70s (more specifically 71-77) correct tobacco sunburst, with the brown outer sunburst rather than the pitch black with yellow that came later. I wanna be able to route it for two humbuckers and have it look just like Ace Frehley's 1973 Deluxe used up till' the Destroyer tour without having to re fin the sunburst.

I think that they should give up on producing all these technically complicated guitars such as the Dark Fire,Dusk Tiger and Robot Guitar.These guitars will most likely end up being a source of trouble and frustration to their owners when the warranties have expired and they start to develope the problems that usually inevitably go wrong in products full of intricate moving parts.The people with the technical skills and parts on hand to fix these will be few and far between hence people will be compelled to send their guitars to a Gibson repair facility which no doubt will be a very expensive proposition.

If Gibson were to spend the time and money that they pumped into these projects into reissuing some more of the classic old products such as the Firebird VII and the Switchmaster I believe that it would be money much better spent and more positively received by the customers.

They already make a slew of cheap instruments. A lot of their USA catalog can be bought on Musician's Friend for under a grand. Fender makes cheaper guitars becasue they have whored off their franchise name to the third world. Gibson has yet, but they have used the Epiphone label to make cheap version of their signature instruments.

What more do you want?

They already make a slew of cheap instruments. A lot of their USA catalog can be bought on Musician's Friend for under a grand. Fender makes cheaper guitars becasue they have whored off their franchise name to the third world. Gibson has yet, but they have used the Epiphone label to make cheap version of their signature instruments.

What more do you want?

Yep, that's about right.

Dump the buttugly Dusk Tiger and Robot stuff. I wish Gibson would build a line of amps designed to match their guitars, maybe a signature line of high quality amps color matched to the LP or SG or ES you are buying. That is something nobody else offers. Over the years Gibson has built some really nice amps, but after the Norland nightmare they just never promoted them anymore. WHY NOT?

Archived