Gibson Brands Forums

Scratched on Purpose - at the Factory?

jdd707

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out this 2012 J45 TV. Seller claims that it was scrathed on purpose ... at Bozeman! I've never heard ot that! Also odd is that there is no SN, either on the headstock or the lable. What's going on here?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-J-45-True-Vintage-Red-Spruce-Hand-SCALLOPED-Hand-AGED-WOW-/280854004620?pt=Guitar&hash=item416434038c

if the guys ordered it "aged" then it is true . they "beat it up" to some extent.

JC

if the guys ordered it "aged" then it is true . they "beat it up" to some extent.

JC

Hey, I want that job ... playing Gibsons until the pick marks show ... oh wait, that's what I do now for fun.

Didn't Buc just get one of these J45 TV VOS's? Maybe he can chime in on the scratch at the factory issue. I gotta say I really dig that old look.

The guitar is legit, the label has the serial#, the seller just photo shopped the later numbers.

I've spoken with Jeremy Fuller about this a few times.

he says you can order an "aged" guitar .

like the aaron lewis model way "aged"

and he said they beat it up .

JC

I ordered my HB TV but only found out it was a 'VOS' finish when it arrived. I was taken aback at first, but it aint that bad. There was still a bit of residue on the guitar from whatever compound Gibson uses to scuff the finish. A few cleanings it doesn't look as dull as when new.

Check out this 2012 J45 TV. Seller claims that it was scrathed on purpose ... at Bozeman! I've never heard ot that! Also odd is that there is no SN, either on the headstock or the lable. What's going on here?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-J-45-True-Vintage-Red-Spruce-Hand-SCALLOPED-Hand-AGED-WOW-/280854004620?pt=Guitar&hash=item416434038c

no SN on my TVs headstock....if you look at the label, it has a SN. it is whited out

I would prefer to age it myself... I never did like the Lead Pauls that were aged.. Nor the Relic Strats.. I spend like you all do.. Good Money for a Nice New Guitar.. if it gets a ding.. I would like to be the first to do so..

Is this really an option?!

I like the VOS finish, but the scratches are kind of neither here nor there. It's not like it's been properly relic'd, but it has a few little scratches as if it's been played hard for a couple of weeks from new....

DSC_2111.JPG

My L-OO Legend came with what I would call a "semi-VOS" finish. It definitely has fine scratches that are visible when you hold the guitar at an angle to the light. I was taken aback at first. It was a guitar on consignment, and the selling dealer said it had "polishing scratches" in the listing, which is actually a pretty good description. He didn't know there was such a thing as a VOS finish, and I didn't feel obliged to tell him.

I assume each VOS finish is different, depending on the mood of the person doing the job.

I gave the L-OO a moderate Virtuoso Cleaner treatment and removed about half of ths scratches, but have decided to live with the rest.

Personally, I would never order a guitar with a VOS finish. I am perfectly capable of scratching it myself.

The scratches on that 45 look like nothing I ever saw in real life (except from when my half blind uncle buffed auntie Kate's antique brass vase with sandpaper – just kiddin').

These frenzy mini scars are placed wrong, have the wrong nature and all in all appear to be an error.

If Buck is right about using fine steel wool to create the matt low luster finish, this might have been an employee error in the first place, , , or so it looks.

Funny thing about that matt/high gloss theme. Most of my vintage Gibsons are high gloss (after all these years). The ones that have a slight matt tendency got it from the wrong kind of polish – mixed with human grease and chemicals, if you allow. The nitro, as we know, is sensitive and reacts strongly to different materials and fluids so beware f.x. if you try to reglue the edge of the guard.

Conclusion is that all this semi matt finish business - which I kind of like, but don't have on my '08 TV Bird as the previous owner buffed most of it off – in reality is an imitation of a vintage guitar 'mistreated'. The well preserved vintage would be glimmering like a jewel– look at my 1968 S.J. in the Hummingbird Thin Neck thread. Had it been polished like mad over the years, the result probably would have been 'silk dim'.

I recently decided that my 1984 Martin D-35 deserved some attention and gave it a shine-treat with a newly bought authorized guitar-detergent. In the process where layers of old hand-grease, gas stove oil from years of cooking, nicotine and what have you was brought to life, the good guitar turned, , , , MATT.

What a circus -

Personally, I would never order a guitar with a VOS finish. I am perfectly capable of scratching it myself.

Right on Nick.. scratches are a DIY job that we all know how to do. But I really like the aged look on that guitar - minus those brillow pad scratches of course.

I wonder if Gibson does the VOS finish on a SJ200 burst?

It does on the TV models... I have one... the SJ-200TV came with a VOS finish, however my VOS on this has no pan-handle effect (the swirls) nor the scratches. Just a muted hue to the burst. It's a beautiful finish. Nothing remotely like the guitar above or I would have been fairly underwhelmed.

My Woodie Guthrie had very slight swirls with its VOS finish and no real scratches... certainly nothing of the magnitude of the ad that started this thread.

Is this really an option?!

I like the VOS finish, but the scratches are kind of neither here nor there. It's not like it's been properly relic'd, but it has a few little scratches as if it's been played hard for a couple of weeks from new....

DSC_2111.JPG

This is NOT factory VOS..

This is some guy who scratched his guitar DIT with some kind of sandpaper (....either on purpose or not!) and then realeased he's ****ed up the shop and is now claiming it's Gibson's work....and trying to sell it!!!

Gibson would never let a guitar leave the factory like that, it's a joke!!!

No way Hose!!!

[thumbdn]

Archived