Gibson Brands Forums

'sup dudes?

Thundergod

What's new? Any new guitars? Any new guitarists? Anyone retiring?

I thought about retiring from pro-guitar... making it fun again, and not about the money... but can't decide on it yet, mainly because I'll have to go into another line of business and it's scary.

What's new? Any new guitars? Any new guitarists? Anyone retiring?

I thought about retiring from pro-guitar... making it fun again, and not about the money... but can't decide on it yet, mainly because I'll have to go into another line of business and it's scary.

Im also going through this issue.. Not with guitar though (as much as id love that)..

Im nearly 40 and had over 15 years experience in multi media mostly computer games.. Im now at a point that because I was out of that industry for just a few years I cant even get an interview at the moment (9 months now).. So I am also considering what I can do. Its either wait till something comes up and someone gives me a chance (im not sure how much longer I can) OR totally start something new and start from the bottom again which even though my gut instinct tells me is the thing to do.. Im so worried about it that its ground my life to a halt and I cant decide what to do or what direction to go in..

If your a pro guitarist Id stick to that man.. what I wouldnt give to be in your position :) Ive worked as a sound engineer before but never as a pro musician... man id give almost anything to be able to play for a living.

I understand what you are saying about wanting to make it fun again.. But times are real hard out there at the moment. (not saying that you shouldnt, but ive been made redundant 6 times over the last 15 years (bloody games industry) and ive never seen it this bad trying to get a job.)

Hi TG! Nice to see you here.

Still rocking the Blues with the Blue Tele through the Blue amps ?

Funnily enough I'm just starting to play out again on the odd occasion, purely for fun and only in 'jam sessions', after a 20+ year break and enjoying it greatly...

I find 'No Pressure' is a great bonus when I'm not exactly 100% on top of my game (as per last Tuesday...[blush])

Good luck with whatever you decide.

P.

Guys, it's nice to see some of you understand and can relate...

I played "for fun" last weekend, hadn't done that for a while and it was great... I still don't know how much the pay is (will know next week when they send me a check) LOL and don't plan on asking... and it was so great.

I think the old "beware of what you wish" saying is right... I wished I could make a living from playing guitar and doing guitar related stuff, but sometimes I get really mad at some of the people I work with, either from bands I play with or record, pupils, or guitar tech stuff clients... there are days I feel I could just send them all to hell and be done with it, some are real a-holes. And playing out 2 or 3 nights a week after working 10 hours a day 6 days a week (with a guitar - in a music place) is a little tiring too.

Makes sense?

I'm a cheff too, I have been thinking about starting a catering business, or going to work for my dad (I'm 33 and have never worked for him, even though he has asked every year) but I guess at some point that would stress me out too.:(

FenderGuy: I watched your sweet child o' mine video... I didn't know you could do that with an old computer! :)

Pippy: good to see you are still around! [thumbup]

Yo TG! Man, I thought this was going to be a thread about the Subdudes.

I'm retiring from the business that I've been in for around 35 years on Dec. 31st. Sold my house, and the wife and I are moving to a small town in Nowheresville, SC in the upstate area. Gonna kick back, play my geetar, practice other hobbies, and do some volunteer work... maybe do something related to what I've been doing for a couple days a week. Can't wait. There's a small band that does weddings and private parties doing jazz and background music looking for a guitar player. I might hook up with them.

I played "for fun" last weekend, hadn't done that for a while and it was great... I still don't know how much the pay is (will know next week when they send me a check) LOL and don't plan on asking... and it was so great.

I think the old "beware of what you wish" saying is right... I wished I could make a living from playing guitar and doing guitar related stuff, but sometimes I get really mad at some of the people I work with, either from bands I play with or record, pupils, or guitar tech stuff clients... there are days I feel I could just send them all to hell and be done with it, some are real a-holes. And playing out 2 or 3 nights a week after working 10 hours a day 6 days a week (with a guitar - in a music place) is a little tiring too.

Makes sense?

I'm a cheff too, I have been thinking about starting a catering business, or going to work for my dad (I'm 33 and have never worked for him, even though he has asked every year) but I guess at some point that would stress me out too.:(

Yeah it is always about the grass being greener... and I have found that no matter how good a job is, theres a reason its called work and not play :) You always get Aholes that you are forced to work with no matter where you work.. That just seems to be a fact of life :)

And I also had the oppertunity to go work with my father for many years he wanted me too (and it was my Grandfathers business before that).. I wanted to work in the creative industry so it was just never for me cos he sold Commercial Catreing Equipment (oddly enough).. Then a few years back when I was also out of work (again!!) and it had been almost a year I finally went and asked my dad about working with him, only to find out he was just finalising a deal to sell it and retire :o

So I was too late.. And now with the position im in I kinda wish that I had asked earlier cos having your own business is really the best thing you can do (even if its not something your really interested in).. Working for other people always sucks :) (even though in saying that I dont regret my career decisions cos I had alot of fun along the way and did alot of really cool things I wouldnt have if I had just gone to work for my dad from school).

My dad now admits how much he wanted me to come into the business, like it would have made him so happy, he said even if I had asked 6 months earlier he would have been overjoyed to teach me and let me run it (but never made a big deal of it at the time).. But its all too late now...

Makes sense?

FenderGuy: I watched your sweet child o' mine video... I didn't know you could do that with an old computer! :)

I know he used the MSSIAH cartridge for the 64, im gonna use Cynthcart on the 64

I might leave my computer repair job behind and start working for Ford.

That's where I've been for the last 25 years. I'm a technical guy and have been lucky to have served in many different job roles over the years. The best part of working for many large corporations is they typically offer or encourage lateral movement and that helps keep you fresh and able to expand your knowlede base about the business.

Good luck and let me know if you do get in somehere.

That's where I've been for the last 25 years. I'm a technical guy and have been lucky to have served in many different job roles over the years. The best part of working for many large corporations is they typically offer or encourage lateral movement and that helps keep you fresh and able to expand your knowlede base about the business.

Good luck and let me know if you do get in somehere.

I'm gonna start small. Going to go through a Ford dealership. My great grandpa has been going there for 54 years, so they know him well, they even address me as "Mr.Barret's Grandson"

Anyways, I was there looking at cars on Saturday and remembered my school's business department had jobs advertised, and said car dealerships were the perfect way to start out, and could sometimes snowball into a career. (my great uncle started in the wash bay for GM and retired as a factory manager, even got free cars out of it.) They said that people move up fast, so the wash bay positions are always needing to be filled, not to mention the benefits and the ease of access to the dealership from my school (walking distance) I'm submitting my official application tomorrow afternoon. I'm really hoping that everything goes well.

Makes sense?

A regular job has it's pit-falls too!

I'm not a dude but I'll say hi...

hihi, I've been in school. Despite the fact that I am working, I am kicking this semester's arse (101 on my first test in pharmaclogy, woot!).

My girlfriend and I argue a lot over the stupidest things. Grrr...women!

On the music front...not much going on now that school is in full swing, but I let myself relax with my keyboard. I stashed my electric guitars and thus have not seen them for months. I play accustic only now. I plan on pulling them out when the semester is over and I make a safe space in my room for two.

I keep hearing the Lion O thundercat call because of you, TG..."thunder, thunder, thundercats HO!!!"

Hey Thunder, didn't you cut your hair and start working for your wife's family a few years back... I think I remember you selling off a whole bunch of gear too. Remember how that was? If you do decide to move into doing something else make sure it's something you love or really want to do...

Hey TG life choices are always hard. Doing anything in the arts though full time can be tougher than most jobs because you can really just punch a clock on your passion. I retired full time a few years back on my 50th birthday with a solid pension one of the last generation too ever get that chance is exiting the workforce in droves right now. I went back to art full time thinking it was going to be a hobby and am loving it mostly because I don't have to do what others want now. Strangely enough Ive never been more successful with my art. Other than driving a 23 year old art agent they assigned to work with me totally insane because I won't take commissions or set deadlines it's great. I'm glad i worked hard for enough years to guarantee my families financial futures and was truly lucky to start on the ground floor of technology when it was starting and the money was amazing. But life goes by fast and doing something you've lost the love for is a hard way to live. My mom was a artist also and she once said do whatever work you need to in order to live your life and no more. because like they say nobody ever lays in their deathbed and wishes they had spent more time at the office.

Archived