Gibson Brands Forums

What is the Story Behind "Sweet Home Alabama"?

bluesguitar65

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why was it so controversial back then?

#1; the chord progression........Using three chords was a first for a southern man...

#2; The second solo was designed and recorded in an "off key" which concerned the producer ( true story )....

#3; No one had picked on a Canadian in a long time.....

Why was it so controversial back then?

Largely because of the line "In Birmingham they love the Governor..."

The Governor in question was George Wallace, a noted advocate of racial segregation. The line which follows on from the one quoted above reads "Well, we all did what we could do." At the time this was interpreted as a nod towards tacit support and approval of his views by the members of the band. It wasn't until a long time afterwards that the band first suggested that the opposite was actually meant and that they had been against, rather than for Mr. Wallace.

The following is from an interview with Al Kooper (who signed the band to his 'Sounds of The South' label and was their producer);

'Al Kooper explains how this line caused a problem when he was recording the three female backing singers in California [one month after the track had been laid down by the band]. "The background singers were black and that line in the song was kinda tough to get past them so I said 'Why don't you just go 'Boo, Boo,Boo' and express yourself!' And they laughed at that, and they did it, but it was tough in that session because of that." '.

Going back to the claims about being against Mr. Wallace's ideals; this sounds all very well except for the fact that near the end of the song there is a line;

"Sweet Home Alabama (oh, sweet home, baby), Where the skies are so blue and the Governor's true.".......

#2; The second solo was designed and recorded in an "off key" which concerned the producer ( true story )....

Yup. From the same Al Kooper interview mentioned above;

"Now, the song is in the key of D but (Ed King) was playing in the key of G, which is peculiar, and he was choosing certain notes that I wouldn't have chosen. I said 'You're playing in the key of G and the song is in the key of D!' but he said 'No; the song's in the key of G', and we were there arguing for quite some time, and I said; 'It's really not, it's in the key of D!' and he said 'Well, I really like the solo and I'm not changing it!'. So he recorded the solo and we moved on to other stuff, and about an hour later I said, 'You know, I'm starting to like it, Ed - you're gonna be the John Coltrane of Rock'n'Roll!' To this day we still fight over that."

P.

and they weren't even FROM Alabama, but they did get a good start here.

I was 10 yrs old when my older cousin(by 7 yrs) took me to see Skynyrd play at the Midway drive-in theater near Anniston.

their "stage" was several wooden boxes bolted together w/a plywood top.

there may have been all of 100 people there......it was 1973.

And.....

The fact that these poor, hick, rednecks were dissin' a mainstay player.

Nobody at the time knew they would go on to outsell him many times over even though their recording career would only last about 4 years.

I think it was a tongue in cheek response to Neil Young's Alabama. Great song and just listen to the lyrics.

Pretty much this... but I believe it was Neil's tune "Southern Man" that sparked it.

It was in response to both of these songs.

As much as I enjoy some of Lynyrd Skynyrd's music, it's hard to believe they were ever against segregation when the confederate flag has been the centerpiece on so many of their album covers and memorabilia. Great band. Innovative musicians.

As much as I enjoy some of Lynyrd Skynyrd's music, it's hard to believe they were ever against segregation when the confederate flag has been the centerpiece on so many of their album covers and memorabilia. Great band. Innovative musicians.

It's sorta hard for many to get this these days but to southerners in the 70's the Rebel flag wasn't really a symbol of segregation to most that it seems to be today. It's more a symbol of southern pride and rebelliousness. In fact even today it is a prominent image in much of the southern hiphop coming out of Atlanta.

It's sorta hard for many to get this these days but to southerners in the 70's the Rebel flag wasn't really a symbol of segregation to most that it seems to be today. It's more a symbol of southern pride and rebelliousness. In fact even today it is a prominent image in much of the southern hiphop coming out of Atlanta.

Searcy absolutely nailed it !!

my town, only 11 miles from the scene of the 1961 "Freedom Riders" bus burning in Anniston, didn't have the racial unrest that people believe thrived in the South.....we all hung out together, partied together, and got along swell.

probably won't believe this but 1 of my friends is an African American with the Rebel flag tattooed on his BICEP !!!, surrounded w/banners that read, "Son of the South", & "Dixie Man".

He's well educated and a retired US Marine.

The only thing the flag stands against is Govt. control and oppression !!

probably won't believe this but 1 of my friends is an African American with the Rebel flag tattooed on his BICEP !!!, surrounded w/banners that read, "Son of the South", & "Dixie Man".

He's well educated and a retired US Marine.

The only thing the flag stands against is Govt. control and oppression !!

I don't get it at all. To me it's a painful reminder of a very dark period in our nation's history and a symbol of treason. Not sure why half this nation cannot let it go.

Archived