Gibson Brands Forums

Tough decisions.....please help me guys!

serch777

Hi guys, I'm ordering a new electric guitar this weekend; the thing is that I'm stuck between 2 options: a Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom (cream), and a Gibson Grace Potter Flying V. I know that both guitars are very different, and can't really make a direct comaprison between them. That being said, a guitar dealer told me today that thinking in a long term, Flying Vs don't tend to hold their value over the years, as opposed to Les Pauls. My question is: do signature Flying Vs lose their value as well? I hope you can share some opinions that will help me make my decision. Thanks!! [smile]

I always thought of odd shaped guitars like Vs and Explorers as novelty guitars. Their popularity comes and goes so if you need to unload the guitar, you might take it on the chin. Guitars like Les Pauls and Telecasters are timeless.

Even the signature Vs (like the Grace Potter) tend to lose their value?

I have to imagine the trouble with all signature guitars is the audience is limited.

I personally have strayed away from signature guitars for the simple reason that I don't relate to the artist it is associated with. The resale value may be there if you can find someone looking for that set up but I think signature guitars are a limited market.

That said, what you are comparing it to(classic custom)is also a limited market.

Many people will not buy that guitar simply because it has the baked maple fretboard.

Personally I love that guitar and I do have the cream CC. So I am biased.

But I didn't buy it for the resale. I bought it because of how it felt and played.

And I was looking for a Les Paul.

But that's just me.

If you are thinking of the long game - and when it comes to sell - I'd build a bit more on what quapman has already said.

I do happen to like the GP 'V' (and the Nocturnals are a fine band) but in five years time they may be very much "Yesterday's News".

You'd have a nice but quirky Flying V and I'm guessing the market for 'nice but quirky' will always be much smaller than for 'Les Paul Classic Custom'.

P.

Hello!

I have a Classic Custom, and it's a masterpiece. I could use hundreds of words to describe how great it is. Let's settle on "masterpiece".

As for the GP Flying V - I was thinking about getting one, because it's the only relatively affordable V in the range that doesn't looks too raw. I can't stand the faded Vs, the Reissue Korina V is insanely priced...This one has a nice color, bound body, and Burstbuckers. A winner for me. Would be great for a third-fourth guitar. The Classic Custom is definitely the number one.

Cheers... Bence

Well I have to chime in on the 'Classic Customs'. Yes i own the Cherry one. also have an LP Custom (weighs a ton) and a 60s Lp Tribute.

The Classic Custom is the best in the lot. And further more IMO has the best craftmanship and build quality in the Gibson family of mass produced electrics.

I have played dozens of Lps over the years and the only consistent high quality ones I have played have been the Classic Customs, I haven't found a bad one yet.

The CC is probably the only guitar I would ever consider recommending buying online because the build is that consistent. The baked maple fret board is a non issue to me.

Thanks guys! Although I love the GP Flying V, I think I'll go for the LP. This would be my first Gibson electric (I've owned a Super Dove, a 2003 J-200 and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard in the past), so I'll probably chose the Classic Custom. Now I only have to decide if I want the Antique Natural or the Cream lol :blink: !! Cheers! [thumbup]

Do you have other guitars or is this be the only one? I see that you have owned others. I would recommend that you go to a store and try out a LP and a V. If this purchase will be your only guitar, play them both standing and sitting see which feels more comfy. Play them unplugged pay attention to the difference in the sound. Plug them in, pay attention to the sound. Which 1 wins on sound? Which one wins on comfort? Which neck feels better in your hand?

The last guitar that I bought (SG Standard), I knew as soon as I started playing it unplugged, that I couldn't leave the store without it. The neck rang like a bell! Then I plugged it into a tube amp and fell in love. I think I hurt the sales guys feelings. He said he was hoping nobody would buy it, and was saving money for it. [flapper]

The above story has happened to me twice. I went searching for a LP a few years ago and wasn't finding what I was looking for. I happened into a store that had a BUNCH of PRS'. I played 4 or 5 of them then was handed a 20th anniversary custom 24. Man this thing almost sounded like an acoustic when I played it unplugged. Then I tried it through an amp. Then I laid down $4K and took it home. LOL

The moral of these stories is to find the guitar that sounds good, and feels good. Hell... Play them all if you have to. Don't get sold on something before you play it. When you come across the right one, there won't be any question in your mind. It will tell you that you MUST have it.

Good luck to you!

Thanks for the kind replies, guys! I'm pretty sure I'll settle for the CC LP, cause with the clearance sale of most stores, I'll be able to get one at a very good price. Anyway, like SafetyJ said, I'll try to play as many models as possible to settle with the one that feels better in my hands. [biggrin]

I'll throw something in here. I think that the Baked maple boarded guitars will be shunned upon in years to come and won't hold their value. I also think that the rosewood board Les Paul customs will be totally unwanted in time.

Thanks for the kind replies, guys! I'm pretty sure I'll settle for the CC LP, cause with the clearance sale of most stores, I'll be able to get one at a very good price. Anyway, like SafetyJ said, I'll try to play as many models as possible to settle with the one that feels better in my hands. [biggrin]

Always, always, always the best way..

You can play many of the same model and they will all be ever so slightly different.. but as mentioned, one always jumps out at you, and you know straight away :)

Good luck with your hunt [thumbup]

Oh... also one more thing I always say..

One of the things I always do with electrics is try them unplugged first.. If you can hear it ring and sustain unplugged its a pretty sure thing it will sound good through the amp (assuming all the electrics are working :))

Thanks for all your comments mates!! Well, the guys at my local guitar shop didn't have the antique natural CC, but they will have it on Saturday, so I'll have various options to play there. My maximum budget is £1,300 (aprox. $2,068), so I will try different LP models, and even some SGs and Vs. :D

Well guys, I want to thank you all for your very useful comments. I played many models, including an aged cherry SG Standard, which sounded amazing. I narrowed my options to an AN Classic Custom, a cream Classic Custom and the Zakk Wylde "vertigo" model. I ended up getting this beauty (not the best pics, but anyway...) [thumbup] :

SAM_0987.jpg

SAM_0989.jpg

SAM_0990.jpg

Archived