Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar New Year's Resolutions......

onewilyfool

I'm going to try and find an acoustic that will make me want to trim down the herd.

The only ones that are safe are the Kay (sentimental), older Ovation (sentimental), Chet Country Gentleman (love it) and Fender Tele (love it).

The rest of them are up for grabs if they get me closer to the acoustic I'm looking for.

Yeah, I'll strive to stop shopping guitars. I'm done and feel I found my ideal models. I also pledge to never have to look into the eyes of a friend after I've played them an original song and see that 'deer in the headlights' look that says 'you really suck, dude, but I'm too uncomfortable to just out and say it', by never, ever writing an original song. There are waaay too many perfect songs out there to waste time creating a new one.

I feel I achieved some of the goals sat up for 2012. One of them was to get rid of a pain that had developed in my right wrist when taking barre-chords in early December last year. Luckily it disappeared.

The other important issue was to reach a level of stability on the half step up I managed to make during 2011. Guess that went somewhat ok.

For 2013 the idea will be to establish a little flint of something that could be called my own personal finger-p style. Can't say too much about that, but the code-words are : FreeThumb.

Next I'll try to get real close to the FireBird without forgetting the intriguing process of opening the Hum.

jedzep, you're right – there are many hyper-good songs out there, , , , and they may not be written by you. Still if you can put a tune together and tell the world (and yourself) something that way, it would be sad not to do so. It probably won't be Vincent by D. McLean or Both Sides Now or Purple Rain - but it'll be yours. . . .

I'm going to try and find an acoustic that will make me want to trim down the herd.

The only ones that are safe are the Kay (sentimental), older Ovation (sentimental), Chet Country Gentleman (love it) and Fender Tele (love it).

The rest of them are up for grabs if they get me closer to the acoustic I'm looking for.

Look at 2009-2010 Huss & Daltons..

( J. Marley.."I have come for your sake Mr.Scrooge..")

Yeah, I'll strive to stop shopping guitars. I'm done and feel I found my ideal models. I also pledge to never have to look into the eyes of a friend after I've played them an original song and see that 'deer in the headlights' look that says 'you really suck, dude, but I'm too uncomfortable to just out and say it', by never, ever writing an original song. There are waaay too many perfect songs out there to waste time creating a new one.

FAIL......ALERT.......FAIL.......[tongue] Good try jedzep[lol]

I would like to focus on three things.

1) Fingerpickin - really caught the bug and want to continue down that path

2) Impro - finally try to remember some pentatonic positions and keep em' in my head so I can start noodlin' a bit more

3) Songwriting - to have at least three DoubleShot orginal tracks that are worthy of public performance, which should be OK as I recently noticed my singer has a real knack for songwriting.

Three's a good number I reckon ... [thumbup]

1) Get further than I currently am with a thumbpick.

2) Play/practice more sensibly, more focus, less couch noodling.

3) make some videos wearing an indoor hat seeing as it's all the rage.

4) continue to wear clean underwear every day, you never know the minute you might get knocked down.

1. get better or lean new finger picking patterns.

2. write some songs, I written loads when I was 18/19ish but none since I've been playing again.

3. try some harder songs, rather than playing the same ones over and over and over :).

4. Get someone to tell me how to use this snowball mike I bought.

I hope (very strong hope) in 2013 to finish the 12 songs album (music all mine analmost half of the lyrics) of mine, that we started with a friend of mine in the winter of 2012.msp_biggrin.gif

And am in wait for the beginning of mars 2013 when my luthier will start to build for me a special fingerpickin' custom acoustic guitar.msp_biggrin.gifmsp_biggrin.gifmsp_biggrin.gif

1. Outside of strings, stop spending money on guitars. I was at three but now I'm at four acoustics and it's really the limit. I've been at four before and it still feels like more than enough. I'm done.

2. Learn how to use my Zoom H2n that I got for Xmas and start posting some songs on Soundcloud to share.

Find yourself a Martin CS21-11. I found the sound I've been chasing for all these years in that guitar.

I'm stealing a bit from the resolutions of others:

1) more focused practicing, less noodling, as much as I like it;

2) challenge myself with more difficult or at least new pieces, rather than just playing the same old stuff I've been playing for 40+ years;

3) open my mind to more types of music, at least for listening;

4) stop buying guitars, unless I sell one at the same time (this one will be tough);

5) and generally, try to be less judgmental of others (except in my professional life, where part of my job is to judge others).

- Install a Trance Audio Mono in the CSN Gerry Tolman Martin.

- Buy strings in bulk, rather than a few sets at a time.

- Learn James Taylor's version of 'You've Got a Friend'.

- Strengthen my left pinky.

- Slog thru learning how to use a thumb pick, maybe.

- Try to get to Chapter Two of 'Learn and Master'.

If I can accomplish mmore than one of these, it will be a good year.

I am joining the recording club this year. I've had a nice Tascam MK2 sitting and looking at me for a year without getting out of the box. Since I thinned the herd this year I will be looking to ad another Gibson/Martin to the mix. " Happy New Year" to all of you. J.D.

Archived