Gibson Brands Forums

3 Years Sober.....

Murph

Murph...

First... My heart's with you. I lucked out even earlier living in the old days of newspapers when almost everybody had a bottle in their desk or hidden behind a linotype or whatever. Some really dumb things happened to some of the older guys when I was 22 and I saw where I was headed, so I looked for another newspaper 'cuz I was afraid I already had a major lifelong problem.

I doubt there's anyone here who didn't pretty much understand where you were coming from before 3 years ago.

And... I hope the younger guys realize you're now, with this thread, giving them the opportunity to wonder where they're headed. Good on you...

m

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today is my anniversary.

For the newbies, I started playing bars at age 12. It was a different time. Raised by bikers and moved around a lot, at age 16 I was gigging (front man/lead player) for $25.00 a night, drinking beer, smoking cigarettes and everything else that would burn.

Musicians were not only allowed to drink while working, it was expected.

Somehow, by the Grace of God, I pulled this off for over 35 years.

For those of you just getting started, and those of you winding down your musical career I just say "best of luck" and "be careful".

For anyone I offended back in the day, or even just yesterday, I humbly apologize.

Murph.

Murph, congratulations on three years. Everyday is a miracle! I am fortunate to have 12 years Jan 30. I also had around 35 years of it, the last 10-15 of it to pass out/black out every night.

Best of luck on a lot more one-day-at-a-time (s) for you!

Grats, man! I quit substances about 8 years ago and it takes lots of work to stay straight. Incidentally, guitar was my anti-drug. I started playing to cope with the stress of not getting stoned all the time.

Music is salvation.

Today is my anniversary.

For the newbies, I started playing bars at age 12. It was a different time. Raised by bikers and moved around a lot, at age 16 I was gigging (front man/lead player) for $25.00 a night, drinking beer, smoking cigarettes and everything else that would burn.

For those of you just getting started, and those of you winding down your musical career I just say "best of luck" and "be careful".

For anyone I offended back in the day, or even just yesterday, I humbly apologize.

Murph.

Way to go Murph! Congratulations on the three years and many happy returns for the future.

I started playing music the late 70's at 15 and was in a few part-time band's through-out the 80's and early 90's, we played a lot of biker parties too man! Some of the coolest people I ever hung-out with, there where always one or two that where sort of short-tempered but as long as you didn't act too much a fool there where never any problem's and they always gave us food, beer and some money for playing for them. I seen much more foolish behavior at public bar's then at any of the biker bashes I ever went to. Likely the only good thing about the smaller crowds now-a-days at public night-club's is that the chance of getting a whack-o is lower when there are fewer people there.

I've been clean and sober since September of 2007, wish I'd done it 10 or 15 years sooner but I am in much better health now because of that one fact. I wouldn't have even risked stepping foot any-where near a bar or drinking party for a while, it was really hard for the first year or so and I'm grate-full I made it with some health in tact. There where a lot of time's when I don't know how I made it home in one piece and was lucky I only got arrested twice, but I drove a car drunk way to many times.

Grats Murph and happy birthday!

Good for you Murph-I wish you the strength to stay on the straight and narrow.I started gigging in 1969 at the tender age of 15 and as you said-drinking by band members was a given and but for the grace of God,drinking never got a hold on me to the point that I formed an addiction for it but I did develop an unhealthy fondness for it.There is a very thin line between being a heavy recreational drinker and alcoholism and I was lucky in the fact that I was able to cut it out before I fell victim to its hold.These days I very rarely take a drink and it must be over 2 years since I had one,but I can sit out on the deck on a hot summer day and drink a Margaurita without having to fear that I'd go off on a drinking binge.I thank God for that because I came so close and a LOT of my friends who started gigging when I did have lost an awful lot because of the hold booze got on them.You are to be commended Murph for having the strength and courage to beat the beast and I applaud you for passing on your experiences to others to warn them of the dangers.GOD Bless.

Good for you, Murph! Keep up the good work!

I can't say I really know what it would be like to have to overcome an addiction to alcohol. Cigarattes in my younger years and quit those about 30 years ago. I partied pretty hard through high school and quite a bit into my 20's, but must have been doing something wrong when I would drink because I usually ended up sick. So I learned to curb what I drank and how much. Guess that's a good thing.

Today is my anniversary.

Murph.

Good on ya Murph, keep it up a day at a time. I stopped drinking quite a while ago (dont know whether I can really call myself sober to be honest, still a bit of a wild card - never took drugs though). I bought an Ibanez Blazer when I was 20 to get me off the booze (I was a big Hendrix and Clapton fan at the time). I had no idea how to play it or anything about music, but my logic was that if i spent that much money on a guitar ($550 Australian in 1983) that I would be forced to learn to play it and not spend my time drinking - sadly my plan didn't work. I didn't even have an amp. It just sat there in the case, looking pretty, bright red. I was in some pretty isolated towns, and there was a big boozing culture and I was a bit of a loner. I looked at this guitar all the time but I just couldn't get a grip of this sobriety business. I'm not going to go into a drunk-a-log but I will say that after having been to hell and back, eventually I got it together and spent a lot of time learning to play (classical, blues, and rock, through books). I finally got it and never looked back. Maybe that git was my higher power... (or was it Jimi's spirit guiding me?). I'm happy to say that I"ve since spent a fortune on guitars and gear and had no regrets whatsoever(one of the big benefits of 'sobriety'). My bedroom is just full of gear and I"ve always got a git on my wife's side of the bed. Thanks for your post.

Never stop playing

Kevoz

Today is my anniversary.

Murph.

I am right there with you Murph, It is a long difficult road.

trek it day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute.

I spent 13 years in the throws of my addictions,

with the grace of the universe I have made it just over eight years, and still make amends every day.

you score two outta three like myself, because the Universe, for some strange reason looks out for drunks, children and fools.

As for those starting out, there are a lot of pitfalls as far as the potential for addiction goes.

Addiction is a subtle, slippery ba$tard of a slope.

I will echo your your sentiment, of be careful, and add be smart.

Congrats Sir, stay strong.

Congrats Murph! That's great news!!!

Unfortunately, I have some very sad news for me that came on the same day as your third year of sobriety.

I very close friend of mine for 35 years passed away yesterday due to cirrhosis of the liver.

He could never just get a little buzzed, he had to pass out. At least the last 5 years or so.

He leaves behind a lovely wife and 3 beautiful daughters.

He was only 52 years old. Everyone who knew him could see it coming and told him so. But as you discovered it's up to you.

RIP Ron.

That's all I have to say. <tears>

1361971810[/url]' post='1335649']

Congratulations Murph!

I went on the Atkins diet in late 2003 so the Colt 45 had to go. It was weird for a few weeks but I haven't given it any thought in years. Once I hit the "one year" mark I figured I'd keep going. Haven't had a sip since about the first week of December 03.

After a short while and a little reflecting I realized that most every bad move I did in life probably had alcohol involved.

Alcohol is a hell of a drug.

That's great news Murph! We're all proud of you. Now give us another tune! Just sayin' [thumbup]

Bwahahahahahahaha.....

[lol]

I've got more, just need to find a few minutes to sit in front of the Youcam (backwards) with the old J-45.

Thanks to all, even you EVOL.... :-k

Archived