Gibson Brands Forums

Style

brannon67

I always wear clothes.

Seriously, informal gigs just the stuff I wear otherwise. Boots, jeans, shirt and vest depending on weather, and hat.

The hat has been left back stage in larger venues with lousy lighting that would totally leave the face dark in shadow.

More formal gigs... it depends. Usually upscaled a little, depending on what style of music. Usually more dressed-up doing jazz type stuff. Still wear the boots even with coat and tie or a suit. I don't have a pair of regular shoes since I quit doing a lotta air travel.

Electric, acoustic... it's all plugged in anyway since all my acoustics are AE. Most of my guitars are similar size. I have some larger body AEs, but so far haven't played 'em "out." Don't see a reason to do other than what I do otherwise.

m

We play bars, mostly...so it's usually what we'd wear anyway.

However, If I was to go back to any "look" or "uniform" it would be

the '60's "Mod" '64-'66 (pre-"Hippy") look, for me. Cuban heal boots,

stove-pipe pants, turtle neck sweater/shirts (Winter) and collarless

(or not) shirts (Summer). That was as "sharp/cool" look, I've always

liked.

CB

Depends on the occasion, if its a regular gig its just t-shirt, jeans and trainers. I've done weddings and charity events wear i've worn shirt and tie but its too hot to wear the suit jacket on stage with all the lighting. Ive no idea how the blues men do it without overheating

For bar gigs I almost always wear a nice pair of Levis or khakis and a button up type shirt. I've gone with a t-shirt on a few occasions, but not much. The only time I would wear shorts is outdoor gigs on a hot summer day.

Something I have noticed is how a lot of pro musicians simple dress in black, cool but not a lot of defiance in their look.

A friend was telling me how clownish the Nirvana bass player looked when they played with McCartney and while not my style the guy dressed in a way that people noticed.

Levi's and a rugby usually (rugby is a t-shirt with three buttons but no collar. unless it's formal then I'll usually wear a coat and tie but still usually over black levi's

That's actually dressed up for me now though, and a major change from my normal dress though because at least it's clean looking. my normal wear is beyond casual and approaching homeless according to my wife. I typically wear Levi's that are clean but so covered in paint and stains from the torn out knee's to about the bottom of the pockets. There clean but it's been years since they looked clean because there stained by dozens of different color paints and stains and even black streaks from iron and rust patina's from silver work. on top of the jeans I wear black T-shirts with my studio's skull logo and name on them I made a set of wedding rings for a guy that owned a shirt printing company he like his rings so much he ran a shirt order for me and a minimum run was 120 shirts so I have sixty in my size and another sixty in various sizes that my wife wears the smaller ones and I give others away to friends and people that cover art show's for me so I'm set for years.

My wife is a clothes horse that dresses up and always looks good and like she said if it wasn't for my watch and jewelry that's work 20k or so I'm sure people would wonder if I was some homeless crazy artist. And honestly I don't care hell I might even like it that way! I worked in corporate America for years wearing a high priced suit and tie every damn day and that was enough. I donated all but two or three suits and maybe six tie's and a few pair of dress shoes other than that it's all out the door and if I have to dress up sorry but I'd rather not go I did my time in suit hell now it's paint splattered levi's and Chucks or Lace up boots and if it's cold then I wear a oversize military green sweater with patched leather elbows that is vintage WW2 issue for bomber pilots and one of my prized possessions.

I stopped wearing dresses when my older sisters couldn't pick on me any more. LOLZ!

But seriously, depends on the event, if some one wants me to wear a suit & tie I will. If they don't mind how I dress I will some times wear something nice any-how's but I may just throw on a T-shirt and dungarees. [thumbup]

I only play the odd open-mic these days so no need to give it any thought.

Typically something like this;

Stratandsmallamp.png

Although back in the day (tail-end '70s start '80s) it was quite different.

Unfortunately I don't have any 'live' shots but this is me sometime in 1980 (Red Coily!) warming up before I went to some gig and, couture-wise, was pretty typical;

MeandStrat1980cut-out458_zps347db870.jpg

P.

Hello Pippy! Were You into Thin Lizzy back then? :) Cheers... Bence

LOL! Hard to believe from my kit but mostly we were playing Rory Gallagher to Muddy Waters type blues-rock.

I was an art student at the time. I found the jacket in an Edinburgh pawn shop. I wore it pretty much every day to College.

It's a genuine late 19th C. soldier's dress jacket but I can't remember which brigade.

The 'breeks' are scarlet velvet. I would either wear these with the camel-coloured waistcoat, or else a black velvet pair of keks with a black waistcoat.

Fortunately for all concerned I had stopped gigging before the Spandex craze reached Central Scotland!

P.

Archived