New EB Paradigm Slinkys BS???

#21 User is offline   StRanger7032 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • LocationSW Colorado USA

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:20 PM

View PostRabs, on 04 May 2017 - 11:49 AM, said:

Yeah me too..

I hardly ever break strings.. I also use Super Slinkys and have done most of my playing life...

The only new thing that has come along which I am starting to lean towards are the Hybrid Slinkys.. They are (I think) 10s on the bass strings and 9s on the high strings.. This (I think) gives you the best of both worlds.. You have the thinner strings for solos and the slightly thicker bass strings for chords.. They are cool.

I just switched to D'Addario's version of that string set (9-46) on my 24 3/4" scale guitars and I love them. I agree that they're the best of both worlds. I wish they made an 8-42 set for my 25 1/2" scale guitars. I use 8.5-39 on those and they're a little floppy on the bottom end.
'18 Gibson Les Paul Classic goldtop P-90.
'13 Gibson J-35 Reissue.
'14 Gibson SG Standard: BCS custom vintage electronics, SD Alnico II Pro set, coil splits.
'93 Epiphone G-400: BCS custom vintage electronics, SD Alnico II Pro (Neck), SD 59' Custom Hybrid (Bridge), coil splits.
'99 G&L USA Legacy (Strat).
'16 Fender Standard Jazz Bass.
'74 Franciscan classical.
'16 Mesa Boogie Lone Star Special.
'15 Line 6 Amplifi TT.

#22 User is offline   Retired 

• The Ham bone is connected to the ........
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:39 PM

I always love reading about what other guys use for strings. In my short 4 years of playing again I've tried many brands of strings. A lot of Earnie Ball brands and slinkys, and none lasted long for me as they broke in just a couple months or went dead but then I just play at home and not up on stage pounding on them. I wasn't impressed much with them till I tried Earnie Ball cobalts and use those on my acoustic but just wanted to say has anyone tried Pure Blues .010 to .046 DR Pure Nickel? Awhile back I talked to Pippy and he suggested trying a set so I did and I love them. I've never broke a string and bends are so much easier. I also have had a set of Elxer strings sitting here I haven't tried yet.
Herman

#23 User is offline   LarryUK 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationBirmingham. UK

Posted 21 May 2017 - 02:40 AM

In my gigging days in the 80's My Les Paul Custom never went out of tune or broke a string. As time went on,I started using S.I.T (Stay in tune) strings and stuck with them. I see that they are still made and as I use EB now I'll try them again. I've bought cheap Alice strings for home use and they work. But I wouldn't use them for gigging.

#24 User is offline   jdgm 

• Now's The Time!
  • LocationIt's nice to be anywhere

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:39 AM

View PostRetired, on 20 May 2017 - 09:39 PM, said:

....has anyone tried Pure Blues .010 to .046 DR Pure Nickel? Awhile back I talked to Pippy and he suggested trying a set so I did and I love them. I've never broke a string and bends are so much easier.

Ha!

These in .011 gauge are the best strings I ever used by far....too expensive for me now!

#25 User is offline   merciful-evans 

• I doubt I'm entitled to a title
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:40 AM

The Paradigm strings donít look like they are coated, but they feel like it. They also sound like it. There is a slight white noise Ďwhisperí overtone compared to the regular strings. I hear it acoustically but not so much through the amp. Used on anything other than clean setting and it completely disappears.
So far Iíve put in 3 hours on these, and 3.75 on the regular strings.
Hagstrom Deuce / Fylde Acoustic / Variax Standard / Gibson ES-339 / Gibson LP Less+ / PRS SE Custom24 / Hofner HCT-J17 / Camps Spanish / Jackson Soloist / Rickenbacker 650 /Squier Esprit
Miele S5 Power 2200w Vacuum Cleaner
Makita BO3710 Finishing Sander
Verdict 6" vernier scale calipers
Whittard of Chelsea Florence blue teapot
Spear & Jackson 1712PF/INS12 trenching fork

Posted Image put the kettle on
I sometimes think; therefore I am intermittent
my band BLOWN OUT

#26 User is offline   LPguitarman 

• RUSH Fan
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:31 PM

I've been Using EB Cobalts, and before that EB Regular Slinky's. Knock on wood. ](*,) In the ten years I have owned my Les Paul, I have never broken a string. Not sure about the Paradigm's... Not sure I want to change from a good thing with the Cobalts.
Posted Image
Guitars:

2007 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique GOW#2.
2016 Michael Kelly Forte Port X Partial Eclipse Acoustic / Electric.

Pedals:

Original Cry Baby Wah
Morley Power Wah Boost
DOD Stereo Chorus
BOSS DD-3 Delay
DOD Flanger
MXR 6-Band Equalizer
BOSS Acoustic Simulator
BOSS Chromatic Tuner
BOSS Compression / Sustainer
DOD Grunge
MXR EVH Phase 90
Original Voice Box
(2) Pedal Boards to hold it all (1) SKB & (1) Boss

Amp:

50 Watt Peavey Classic VT Series 2x12 w/ Scorpion speakers

#27 User is online   Dub-T-123 

• Advanced Member

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:37 PM

jdgm, on 21 May 2017 - 05:39 AM, said:

Ha!

These in .011 gauge are the best strings I ever used by far....too expensive for me now!

I was really liking the DRs and then I switched to SIT. The SIT strings are just as good but less expensive (at least here in the States). Not sure what it is about the Slinkys but they wear out really fast for me. No issues with the SITs
''/\_/\
( - . - )
(,,) (,,)

#28 User is offline   merciful-evans 

• LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:14 PM

Update: 4/July/2017

10 hours: EB Slink : Deuce
12 hours: EB Paradigm Slink : Elite

Ok, so neither guitar is in need of a string change yet.

The Paradigms have just topped 12 hours of use. Right now they sound wonderful and I am enjoying playing the Elite more than ever. The extra brightness mellowed a little once they settled in and I'm inclined to think they sound a tad better than the regular EB Slinks.

The guitar is fitted with Creamery Domino Split Coil pups.

Posted Image
Hagstrom Deuce / Fylde Acoustic / Variax Standard / Gibson ES-339 / Gibson LP Less+ / PRS SE Custom24 / Hofner HCT-J17 / Camps Spanish / Jackson Soloist / Rickenbacker 650 /Squier Esprit

my band BLOWN OUT

#29 User is offline   merciful-evans 

• LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:20 PM

Final Update: 25/August/2017

43 hours: EB Slink : Deuce
57 hours: EB Paradigm Slink : Elite

The Deuce (EB regular slinky) certainly needs new strings now. If I was playing out I would nave changed them at about 35 hours of use (8 hours back).

The Elite (EB Paradigm slinky) is beginning to sound less bright now but still not bad. I will probably change them next week.

Conclusion. I think the Paradigms have maybe twice the life of regular EBs. Thats not enough to make them economical. BUT, they sound terrific. Seriously. I will buy another set and maybe try them on different guitar.

I think they may be worth the extra cost. If they sound as good on another guitar then I may well happily pay the extra in future.

Posted Image

I love these 2 guitars but am now enjoying a change. The ES-339 now has all my attention.

my band BLOWN OUT

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic